• The KillerFrogs

Swim Team Rumor

Chongo94

Well what would they be dropping, just the guys or the whole team? I find it hard to believe they'd be dropping the entire program given Title IX considerations.

EUROFROG

Talked to a former swimmer this winter and he was bemoaning our facilities big time. We really need a complete upgrade to a 50 meter pool and building for it.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Talked to a former swimmer this winter and he was bemoaning our facilities big time. We really need a complete upgrade to a 50 meter pool and building for it.
He's correct but where do you put that facility? It would roughly be the size of the Sammy Baugh center and I cannot think of an available space, unless they used the intramural fields next to the soccer stadium. They did build those new intramural fields near Lupton Field so maybe they have something in mind

Mean Purple

Well what would they be dropping, just the guys or the whole team? I find it hard to believe they'd be dropping the entire program given Title IX considerations.
Ironically, Title IX is usually at the center of the reason that a sport gets dropped. Financial. Can't cover all the females sports without droppng someting. So if your sport does not bring in enough attention, you are on the block.

And I'm a fan of swimming. But I can tell you, that fan base is pretty small compared to other sports.

MAcFroggy

I really hope they keep the swim team, but I could see the program getting shut down. Doubt they get rid of the swim team entirely. Probably just the men's team. It is very common nowadays to have a women's team and not a men's team.

When the new rec center was built the pool was great, but we still lacked a 50 meter pool. It has been a long time since the rec center opened and we still do not have a 50 meter pool. It is nearly impossible to attract elite level swimmers without the Olympic sized pool. Doubt we could ever be a Texas, Auburn, or Georgia type program, but we could definitely be a good program. It will be interesting to see who we hire if the program remains.

GeoFrog

If it's facilities we're lacking, I wonder if you could get buy-in with the local school districts and the city and build a shared natatorium facility that can also host regional and national events. It would be off-campus, but could alleviate some of the pressures of cost and land use on campus.

LeagueCityFrog

Title IX is another reason TCU currently doesn't have a women's softball team even though that seems to be the most obvious sport to add because of our market and our conference. Two things. #1 Say TCU offered 20 female scholarships to a new sport like softball, because of Title IX, TCU then would have to offer 20 males a scholarship for another sport so there is an even amount of male and female scholarships. #2 is the facilities, TCU would be expected to provide these new girls on the softball team a relatively close in equivalence in a stadium and facilities. So there is another $35 to $50 million, but don't forget, you would have to offer this facility standard potentially times two because the new men's sport with those 20 new guys on scholarship would also need a facility. No joke, for the both these new teams to travel and the scholarship coverage for 40 new students attending very expensive TCU and new facilities.... "Just wanting to add softball" could cost north of $150 million when everything is all said and done.

Hence, it is a lot easier cancelling a male and female sport simultaneously for Title IX scholarship reasons as a previous poster mentioned on this thread. See TCU Men's Soccer for details. I would venture to guess that if some donor doesn't step up to build a facility necessary to compete annually with UT in swimming, I could see CDC chopping it. If we are out there competing, TCU is only in it to win it all the way.

Wexahu

[QUOTE"Just wanting to add softball" could cost north of $150 million when everything is all said and done.[/QUOTE]

I know it would probably cost more than most people realize for the reasons you've given, but there is no way it would cost $150,000,000. That's completely nuts.