• The KillerFrogs

Student Section was PATHETIC last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goo

The student section has been horrible all season. I'm not sure why but this is the worst attendance from our student section in the 14 years I have followed TCU football. It is pathetic.

I went over and sat in the student section for the 2nd half and it is worse than I thought. When I got up close I realized alot of the people there were adults simply taking a good seat. It appears that many of the GDI's are still coming but zero Greek's. College Football is a huge part of college life and Greek life and I assume these kids are too busy flirting and drinking to come inside for two hours.

ESPNU named Gary Patterson as one of three top choices for Michigan. Could not blame him for leaving after seeing our attendance last night and would blame it on the poor student attendance.

Limp Lizard

Apparently going to football games is not the "in" or "cool" thing to do if you are a TCU Student. :angry: But these people would be foaming at the mouth if they were at another university.

The only thing that would bring them in would be a competition: Fraternity and Sorority that have the highest attendance would get $10,000, plus some meaningless trophy (probably more important than the money to those folks). Attendance is counted at kickoff and at the end of each quarter (no coming in for the count then leaving en mass). :ph34r:

allclearforfrogs

I was there in the student section cheering on my Frogs.

With my group of friends that I gained without money. I was very proud.

But your right, it was pathetic.

If anything motivates Gary Patterson to leave it will be fan apathy.

kaiser soze

I concur Goo. It was abysmal. They should be embarassed. The Gator needs to step up and fix this.

As a sidenote, I have never noticed the band more loud than it was last night. Could be that i ventured up to the upper deck and the sound carries up that way or just the empty student section causing sound to amplify. Either way, good job on the band being loud.

allclearforfrogs

QUOTE(ShivasFrog @ Nov 18 2007, 02:45 PM) [snapback]77834[/snapback]
Hey, allclear. What is your opinion on how to get more students to attend?

Want be to be honest?

Just like every other team in our confrence (besides BYU) A lot of kids here don't care (as much) about TCU football unless we are ranked and headed to the BCS. Want more students to attend? Win all of our games (worked last year).

Can't do that?

Serve beer.

Keep this in mind, ive talked to several people who have already gone home for thanksgiving. We only have class Monday and Tuesday.

Goo

You really need some individual leaders to go into the game and the followers will follow. How to get the cool kids inside I don't know. Also, the girls will follow the cool guys inside and followers will follow them. When I was in school the cool guys from my fraternity always went to game early (especially Lariats who were required to be there from kickoff until final buzzer) with them the came their harem, and less cool guys were sure to follow. We even made fun of anyone who tried to stay in the parking lot.

Bring a flask. It's not that hard and it's part of college life. For the past 10 years, frat kids have routinely brought whiskey into the game. I'm not sure why class of 2010 can't figure this out.

The obvious reasons are opponent interest (OU, Tech, etc) and our own ranking. But not supporting your school because they are 7-5 is pathetic. Also not going because you don't have an interest in oppenent is pathetic. Take a look at UT vs. Ark St or OU vs. Tulsa.

pcf

QUOTE(Limp Lizard @ Nov 18 2007, 08:34 AM) [snapback]77829[/snapback]
Apparently going to football games is not the "in" or "cool" thing to do if you are a TCU Student. :angry: But these people would be foaming at the mouth if they were at another university.

The only thing that would bring them in would be a competition: Fraternity and Sorority that have the highest attendance would get $10,000, plus some meaningless trophy (probably more important than the money to those folks). Attendance is counted at kickoff and at the end of each quarter (no coming in for the count then leaving en mass). :ph34r:

Being an eastsider, I easily notice how empty the west side is and it makes me very irritable. That's the home side and it is way too sparsely populated.

The band did pump up the volume.

Eastsiders rule, westsiders drool. :happy:

allclearforfrogs

As much as I hate to admit it, what Goo said is true.

Get the "cool" guys into the stadium and the rest will follow.

I'm not unpopular, but I'm not wealthy either. That pretty much elimanates me (with some exceptions) from being in the "cool crowd" at TCU>

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Curious where is the link stating CGP as Top 3 candidate for Mich job?

Les Miles obviously #1 and heard Brian Kelly mentioned but not heard CGP. Several clients are big time Mich supporters and would love to find out more about this.

Goo

QUOTE(allclearforfrogs @ Nov 18 2007, 08:56 AM) [snapback]77843[/snapback]
As much as I hate to admit it, what Goo said is true.

Get the "cool" guys into the stadium and the rest will follow.

I'm not unpopular, but I'm not wealthy either. That pretty much elimanates me (with some exceptions) from being in the "cool crowd" at TCU>

I promise it really only takes about 3 guys from a fraternity to label something cool and the rest will follow. When I was a freshman, if the three coolest seniors asked me to come into the game with you bet I would. Also, if a the cool 3-4 guys from my pledge class decided to walk into the stadium, the rest would probably follow. Although it might take a little encouragement.

The Lariats was a great thing for TCU attendance. Basically the 8-10 likeable guys from each of the top 4 fraternities were gauranteed to be in the game start to finish. This made the tailgates less fun during the game and brought in the girls, etc.

Goo

QUOTE(FeistyFrog @ Nov 18 2007, 08:57 AM) [snapback]77845[/snapback]
Curious where is the link stating CGP as Top 3 candidate for Mich job?

ESPNU Sportscenter. It's replaying now on 609 DirectTV.

The announcers only mentioned 3-4 candidates. They said "Michigan should also consider a candidate that has done more with less like Gary Patterson."

TUCK91

QUOTE(Goo @ Nov 18 2007, 09:01 AM) [snapback]77847[/snapback]
I promise it really only takes about 3 guys from a fraternity to label something cool and the rest will follow. When I was a freshman, if the three coolest seniors asked me to come into the game with you bet I would. Also, if a the cool 3-4 guys from my pledge class decided to walk into the stadium, the rest would probably follow. Although it might take a little encouragement.

The Lariats was a great thing for TCU attendance. Basically the 8-10 likeable guys from each of the top 4 fraternities were gauranteed to be in the game start to finish. This made the tailgates less fun during the game and brought in the girls, etc.

Bring back the Lariats - at least they were fun to watch and some thought they were cool, even when one threw up drunk on the side lines..

Frogs1983

QUOTE(Limp Lizard @ Nov 18 2007, 08:34 AM) [snapback]77829[/snapback]

I took some friends to the game last night.Absolutely the worst game atmosphere I have ever seen at a College game.UNLV traveled what,about 150 fans?TCU fans filled up maybe 50% of the stadium?
Watched the end of the Tech-Oklahoma game after I got home.What a difference in game atmosphere.Oklahoma brought their band to the game.Plays was packed,full of electricity.
TCU game yesterday,thought I was at a wake during certain parts of the game!
TCU will never be a 'big time' program as long as we have to play in a Conference where our closest competitor is appx 500 miles away!Makes absolutely no sense.
Opponent fans don't travel well to TCU,don't bring their band.Vice versa when TCU travels to Mountain West opponent sites.
The level of opponent may be better in the MWC,but attendance wise,TCU will never get over the hump given the geographic realities of the MWC.
If TCU ever wishes to get more than 30,000 people to a game on a regular basis,they are going to have to get in a conference with other like minded schools,where their fans can travel by car to TCU in a reasonable time frame,and TCU fans vice versa,or we will continue to see the end of year crowd situation like yesterday.
It was pretty pathetic! :sad:

JugbandFrog

I heard some punk [Deleted] kid say to another punk [Deleted] kid outside the stadium "Man, you aren't supposed to go in, its more fun out here than in there!"

I was so disgusted I couldnt even finish my nachos. I love nachos.

TUCK91

Could it be the Athletic Director of Marketing still does not have a grip on what game day atmosphere should be? One of my biggest issues is the marketing department and always will be until they get it together.

iowa_frog

Well I was there, and I have been at every home game since I came to TCU. I have no idea why other students don't come, but I absolutely love college athletics and that is why I come.

Quite frankly, not only the students were pathetic last night, the entire crowd was. No one showed up.

Goo

QUOTE(TUCK91 @ Nov 18 2007, 09:18 AM) [snapback]77857[/snapback]
Bring back the Lariats - at least they were fun to watch and some thought they were cool, even when one threw up drunk on the side lines..

Lots threw up on the sidelines...but only one threw up on the 50 yardline. Lariats used to run a flag after TD and this drunk guy on 1992 threw up on the logo at mid-filed, which made Sportscenter Top 10. The games can be really fun, if the students tried.

Goo

QUOTE(Frogs1983 @ Nov 18 2007, 09:28 AM) [snapback]77859[/snapback]
I took some friends to the game last night.Absolutely the worst game atmosphere I have ever seen at a College game.UNLV traveled what,about 150 fans?TCU fans filled up maybe 50% of the stadium?
Watched the end of the Tech-Oklahoma game after I got home.What a difference in game atmosphere.Oklahoma brought their band to the game.Place was packed,full of electricity.
It was pretty pathetic! :sad:

How Gary Patterson is able to out recruit Tech for some kids is amazing after comparing atmosphere's last night. But he does get kids with Tech offers every year including two of our five commits right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.