• The KillerFrogs

So about the Nike cleats we used for the game..

staypurple12

I'm not going to defend the Nike product...even though I don't think shoes had anything to do with it....

That type of grass by nature holds a lot of moisture, not to mention the record amounts of unseasonable rainfall the region received earlier in the week. The routes where slipping took place....by observation at the game and watching a replay at home...were mostly out cuts if memory serves correct. Their DBs were playing way off and allowed Andy to throw 10 yd outs to the field (from opp. hash). The Badger routes at the chains were mostly stops, digs, and curls. So at the end of the day (hate that line)....I think it had more to do with moisture and type of route instead of a Nike shoe.

davejerg1221

Not sure how many times I have to say this before somebody actually read, and comprehends, it: I still haven't seen 1 single person who actually wore Nike's new cleats slip. All of the Frogs I saw slip were wearing the same cleats they have worn all season and some last season: nike carbon vapors.

Just because you say something as if it's the truth over and over, it doesn't make it true.

Picture of Jimmy Young, who slipped several times, wearing the cleats.

http://www.jsonline....9.html?index=50

Curtis Clay, who slipped on a out route, wearing the cleats

http://www.jsonline....9.html?index=41

Jeremy Kerley, who slipped on a 3rd down play, wearing the cleats

http://1.bp.blogspot...ose+Bowl011.jpg

Even if they are the style of the cleats that they wore in the past, they certainly weren't the same pair (see the colors).

gdu

Thanks for saving me the time from looking those and up further proving my point. All of them are wearing the same exact style of cleats they wore all season and none are wearing the new nike alpha talons.

So are you saying the color of the shoes had something to do with them slipping?

jake102

Whatever the case, somebodies screwed up big time. There's at least a few people at Nike who are starting the year on thin ice. Fortunately it didn't cost us the game, but I do think we would have won the game by another 7 points at least had it not been for the cleats.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I don't think it would have been by 30, but we would have comfortably beat Wisconsin on artificial turf. We had several key drives killed (and they extended several drives) because of slippage. That's in addition to the fact that artificial turf plays to a lot of our strengths.

We had more than a few missed tackles because of slipping as well.

Trelvis

GDU is right about those pictures. Those are all the same style of cleat TCU has worn all year just in a different color.

From what I saw, it was mostly linemen wearing the new Alpha Talon.

davejerg1221

Thanks for saving me the time from looking those and up further proving my point. All of them are wearing the same exact style of cleats they wore all season and none are wearing the new nike alpha talons.

So are you saying the color of the shoes had something to do with them slipping?

Not directly. But they clearly are wearing brand new shoes that they maybe had for a week of practice. Were they contractually obligated to wear the shoes with the new color scheme? Why not wear the same exact pair they had worn all season?

gdu

[quote name='Cory Rodger's roster bonus' timestamp='1294251076' post='742298']
Not directly. But they clearly are wearing brand new shoes that they maybe had for a week of practice. Were they contractually obligated to wear the shoes with the new color scheme? Why not wear the same exact pair they had worn all season?
[/quote]
Those are all separate issues.

Every player on the team has worn at least 4 different pairs of cleats this season and we won 13 games and didn't lose any.

All of the players that slipped were wearing the same style of cleats they had worn all season.

The color on the cleats had nothing to do with slippage.

It goes back to exactly what I have been saying the whole time, what a player has now said and what some others who have waited until recently to post said.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
As they say, ignorance is bliss.

Or, in your case, simple stupidity masquerading as moral superiority...

I will repeat, as it is plain that the message ain't gettin through, that the perception is that Nike's Cleats Suck, the evidence being the team wearing them was slipping around. Now, whether or not the whole team was wearing them, or just some players, or just the coaches and waterboys, the perception, reinforced by the reportage of ESPN, is what has been taken as truth.

Whether you like it or not, that is the way it is. Nike should have done a better job of seeing to it that we were not slipping, as it was their reputation on the line.

YCBJ Frog

It is about keeping discussions on a topic all in one place for efficiency and stopping a problem that grows exponentially.

You complaining about forum efficiency has to be the single dumbest thing you've posted on here, and that is not hyperbole nor is it a small feat.

gdu

Or, in your case, simple stupidity masquerading as moral superiority...

I will repeat, as it is plain that the message ain't gettin through, that the perception is that Nike's Cleats Suck, the evidence being the team wearing them was slipping around. Now, whether or not the whole team was wearing them, or just some players, or just the coaches and waterboys, the perception, reinforced by the reportage of ESPN, is what has been taken as truth.

Whether you like it or not, that is the way it is. Nike should have done a better job of seeing to it that we were not slipping, as it was their reputation on the line.
You may have been talking about perception, but the rest of us were talking about actuality. Do you think Tiger was more worried about winning tournaments or that people thought Nike made good clubs? Let Nike worry about their perception.

You thought they wore the new style of cleats and slipped. I told you they didn't and yuou continued to defend your position. That is ignorance.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
You may have been talking about perception, but the rest of us were talking about actuality. Do you think Tiger was more worried about winning tournaments or that people thought Nike made good clubs? Let Nike worry about their perception.

You thought they wore the new style of cleats and slipped. I told you they didn't and yuou continued to defend your position. That is ignorance.

ESPN is the one that reported on national TV that TCU was wearing new shoes, showed a close up, and said they were causing problems and TCU did not bring back up cleats. Why don't you run over there with your superiority complex and Nike knobslobbing and tell them.

gdu

ESPN is the one that reported on national TV that TCU was wearing new shoes, showed a close up, and said they were causing problems and TCU did not bring back up cleats. Why don't you run over there with your superiority complex and Nike knobslobbing and tell them.
They also reported (multiple times) we were going to the Big East next year. Did you believe that too?

You guys crack me up. Since when did getting facts right = morale superiority?

SuperFrog14

And me pointing that out has NOTHING to do with wasting my time. There aren't many better ways for me to spend my time than discussing TCU football.

Better, or other ways, period? :wacko:

It is about keeping discussions on a topic all in one place for efficiency and stopping a problem that grows exponentially.

Hahahahahahahahahahah! :laugh:
That was one of the funniest posts I've read on this board so far, you really need to get out more gdu, honestly.

So here's the bottom line, and the question you still haven't answered for me, why in the world did you reply to my post referring to information I needed, if you planned on being a dick for no reason and not linking me to the information you said you had? Why is there any reason to do that, sure I can search and find it eventually, but why waste your time and reply to my post in the first place and spend the time to come back and check out the thread for new posts from me and others if you simply planned on declining helping a fellow fan with something you referred and I'm assuming you had much quicker access to in the first place? Now I'm not just basing this on your reply to me in this thread, but to all the others I've read from you, you really give frog fans a bad name some of the time. It's been made clear through this thread that I'm not the only one who dislikes you yet you continue to pretend to be of some importance on this thread, when honestly, since I joined the thing I recognized you for is being called out more than any other member for annoying posts.

By the way, I do have some errands you can run actually, at least you'd be of some use then.

BrewingFrog

So you're just now figuring that out? Well, bully for you!

Did you not see the word "perception" in there? My entire post was about the Epic Fail of Nike in this matter, due to the perception that their shoes/cleats suck (or, insufficiently suck, I suppose...). Your response was all about who was wearing/not wearing the specific shoes, etc. None of which are germane to my point, which was about the overall perception that the shoes/cleats suck.

This was a Nike Marketing stunt that blew up. Badly. It doesn't matter who was wearing what out there since it was public knowledge that TCU was wearing spiffy new Nike cleats, and TCU was out slipping around.

You can come back and spray fire retardant foam on the burned-out charcoal of what was Nike's reputation all day, but it won't bring it back.

gdu

Better, or other ways, period? :wacko:

Hahahahahahahahahahah! :laugh:
That was one of the funniest posts I've read on this board so far, you really need to get out more gdu, honestly.

So here's the bottom line, and the question you still haven't answered for me, why in the world did you reply to my post referring to information I needed, if you planned on being a dick for no reason and not linking me to the information you said you had? Why is there any reason to do that, sure I can search and find it eventually, but why waste your time and reply to my post in the first place and spend the time to come back and check out the thread for new posts from me and others if you simply planned on declining helping a fellow fan with something you referred and I'm assuming you had much quicker access to in the first place? Now I'm not just basing this on your reply to me in this thread, but to all the others I've read from you, you really give frog fans a bad name some of the time. It's been made clear through this thread that I'm not the only one who dislikes you yet you continue to pretend to be of some importance on this thread, when honestly, since I joined the thing I recognized you for is being called out more than any other member for annoying posts.

By the way, I do have some errands you can run actually, at least you'd be of some use then.
I was just letting you know that you wouldn't be wasting your time and a search would be fruitful.

My access to those threads isn't any quicker than yours would be.

gdu

So you're just now figuring that out? Well, bully for you!

Did you not see the word "perception" in there? My entire post was about the Epic Fail of Nike in this matter, due to the perception that their shoes/cleats suck (or, insufficiently suck, I suppose...). Your response was all about who was wearing/not wearing the specific shoes, etc. None of which are germane to my point, which was about the overall perception that the shoes/cleats suck.

This was a Nike Marketing stunt that blew up. Badly. It doesn't matter who was wearing what out there since it was public knowledge that TCU was wearing spiffy new Nike cleats, and TCU was out slipping around.

You can come back and spray fire retardant foam on the burned-out charcoal of what was Nike's reputation all day, but it won't bring it back.
I don't care about Nike's reputation beyond how it affects our ability to get recruits. It couldn't be in much better shape in that area.

Not sure why you would care at all about Nike's reputation. Enlighten me.

Heck, I don't even care about my perception or reputation here; only the truth, same thing I have always cared about. The truth is Nike's reputation had no effect on our win int he Rose Bowl and it wouldn't have had any effect had we lost, either.

SuperFrog14

I was just letting you know that you wouldn't be wasting your time and a search would be fruitful.

Alright, I see you intend on not actually replying to my question, so do me a favor, if you're going to be useless next time gdu and instead just be an [Craig James]-hat and smart [Craig James] to other fans for no reason, just don't bother replying to my posts. You really haven't been of any use during this entire thread, and are generally an annoying guy. Just glad I don't know you in person.

You might try this one. We were trying to discuss reactions we experienced after the win, but several folks got off on a long (and quite mind-numbing) diatribe about cleats. Knock yourself out.

http://www.killerfro...howtopic=129960

This is what helped me, and this is what I respect coming from a fellow fan.
Thank you very much QuilterFrawg.

BrewingFrog

I don't care about Nike's reputation beyond how it affects our ability to get recruits. It couldn't be in much better shape in that area.

Not sure why you would care at all about Nike's percetion. Enlighten me.

I have neither the time, patience, nor omnipotent ability to grant enlightenment on one so evidently dense and savagely reluctant to said enlightenment...:rolleyes:

As to Nike, after the Oakland Raiders unis, and Alpha-Talon cleats apparently coated entirely in Teflon, I think Nike can go pound sand. It is merely surprising that a company that large and seemingly media savvy would blunder so badly in the matter of the TCU Rose Bowl preparations and execution.

SuperFrog14

I know this is difficult for you to comprehend gdu, but since you're referring to those threads, you probably have a better idea of where they are and what they're titled. Considering there are 5 different ones according to you, that I'm assuming you've read (what haven't you read on here) you would probably know which ones discussed more of what I wanted to see and which ones go off on tangents unrelated to cleats. Does that make sense to you, or is that still too hard?
Now I know that you don't want to have to actually help with something that you spent the time to refer to, but see I guess I just assumed that you were like me, or most others and would want to help out with something I referred to, because that's just the helpful thing to do, declining to do that would kind of make me look like an idiot for responding in the first place. Get it?