• The KillerFrogs

Sincerest Apologies

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelfrog

Tier 1
It is with great humility and sincerity that I apologize to anyone offended by ridiculous Mormon name-calling by me in the Japanese thread. It was a misguided attempt at humor, and way over the top, and to those offended, I do apologize and vow that it will not happen again on here OR, significantly, on the Utar or BYU boards. I am not going to try and explain the inexplicable. Just simply to say:

I am SORRY. And it will not happen again.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(steelfrog @ Apr 2 2010, 09:20 AM) [snapback]539622[/snapback]
It is with great humility and sincerity that I apologize to anyone offended by ridiculous Mormon name-calling by me in the Japanese thread. It was a misguided attempt at humor, and way over the top, and to those offended, I do apologize and vow that it will not happen again on here OR, significantly, on the Utar or BYU boards. I am not going to try and explain the inexplicable. Just simply to say:

I am SORRY. And it will not happen again.

You've done it many times before, been warned and suspended for it. I doubt it will be the last ...

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Apr 2 2010, 09:22 AM) [snapback]539623[/snapback]
You've done it many times before, been warned and suspended for it. I doubt it will be the last ...

I'm skeptical as well.

If you mods had taken my advice, you'd have banned this idiot YEARS AGO and saved yourselves all this trouble, humiliation and embarrassment. Steelfrog is a cancer that will metastasize until this board is dead. Cut it out now before it grows any further.

steelfrog

Tier 1
QUOTE(TopFrog @ Apr 2 2010, 02:22 PM) [snapback]539623[/snapback]

Ah, he who cannot leave well enough alone. Pot meet kettle.

Notice I am NOT apologizing to YOU. Time will tell whether I have the resolve to do what I say (which I do), but the apology is to those who were offended, not to those rhetoricians such as yourself who do exactly the same thing on a daily basis.

I said I apologize, and I am truly sorry to have offended folks. I will not make Mormons or ANY ethnic or religious group a target of name-calling again. That practice has been a regular source of humor on here for a long time, and has always made me uncomfortable. Frankly, by doing the Mormon thing on you-all's Japanese-bashing thread, I was calling attention to it. Well, that was mis-guided, obviously. And done the wrong way.

I knew just as sure as the sun comes up in the morning that you, Top, would attempt a holier-than-thou pile on, but if I were you I wouldn't go there when your sheets are so soiled themselves.

geno

QUOTE(steelfrog @ Apr 2 2010, 08:35 AM) [snapback]539635[/snapback]
Ah, he who cannot leave well enough alone. Pot meet kettle.

Notice I am NOT apologizing to YOU. Time will tell whether I have the resolve to do what I say (which I do), but the apology is to those who were offended, not to those rhetoricians such as yourself who do exactly the same thing on a daily basis.

I said I apologize, and I am truly sorry to have offended folks. I will not make Mormons or ANY ethnic or religious group a target of name-calling again. That practice has been a regular source of humor on here for a long time, and has always made me uncomfortable. Frankly, by doing the Mormon thing on you-all's Japanese-bashing thread, I was calling attention to it. Well, that was mis-guided, obviously. And done the wrong way.

I knew just as sure as the sun comes up in the morning that you, Top, would attempt a holier-than-thou pile on, but if I were you I wouldn't go there when your sheets are so soiled themselves.

I appreciate your apology, it was appropriate. But must admit I'm puzzled. If this name-calling practice has "always made you uncomfortable," why did you do it? curious.

steelfrog

Tier 1
QUOTE(geno @ Apr 2 2010, 03:01 PM) [snapback]539646[/snapback]
I appreciate your apology, it was appropriate. But must admit I'm puzzled. If this name-calling practice has "always made you uncomfortable," why did you do it? curious.

First and foremost, IT WAS STUPID. Again, I DO apologize unconditionally.

The ill-considered idea was that here was that on a thread where they are being not nice to people because they don't look like us, I would throw out what I knew to be a firebrand of a similar but different flavor, to call attention to the wrongness of the Japanese assault. Mission accomplished I guess and, once again, I am a dumbass.

Also, someone said that calling someone "retard" should fall into the same class. I may even have been guilty of this myself, but I wholeheartedly agree.

Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis, Frater Infinitas

East Coast

Tier 1
I have not read the post and am glad I did not. The problem with this apology and many others I see when someone says something stupid is they apologize to the people they offended.

A real apology should go something like this:

I realize I said something stupid and am sorry for it. I was wrong. I offended people and they were right to be upset.

not to hard to right or say or write - but it is amazing how few approach it that way

NativeFrog

Unconditional apologies should be accepted. You can forgive, but never forget. It took courage for Steel to step forward and apologize. I commend him for that and accept his apology.

steelfrog

Tier 1
QUOTE(East Coast @ Apr 2 2010, 03:24 PM) [snapback]539660[/snapback]
I have not read the post and am glad I did not. The problem with this apology and many others I see when someone says something stupid is they apologize to the people they offended.

A real apology should go something like this:

I realize I said something stupid and am sorry for it. I was wrong. I offended people and they were right to be upset.

not to hard to right or say or write - but it is amazing how few approach it that way

I thought that I did make an unconditional apology. And then I was immediately jumped on by someone who actively looks for every opportunity to jump on me, and has no dog in this fight.

I think what you suggest is EASY to write in this instance. Anyone offended by what I wrote is certainly justified in being offended, and I was way out of line writing what I did. No excuses. I apologize and I will not do it again here, on the Utah or BYU boards, or anywhere else. Moreover, this apology is not in any way the result of any threat or desire not to be "Banned" or anything--it is the result of realizing that people shouldn't be name-called and Wes shouldn't be put in the position of having to receive angry phone calls because of what some dumbass on here writes to get cheap jollies. I am embarassed at myself, frankly.

steelfrog

Tier 1
QUOTE(PurplePutt @ Apr 2 2010, 03:13 PM) [snapback]539654[/snapback]
We are becoming way to much politically correct.

I agree with this, but what I did does not simply fall into the category of "not politically correct." It was abusive and gross and there is nothing else to say but that I went WAAAAAY too far and am sorry that I did, for people I hurt, for Wes and for myself, frankly. What a dumbass.

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
QUOTE(PurplePutt @ Apr 2 2010, 10:13 AM) [snapback]539654[/snapback]
We are becoming way to much politically correct.

And you thought calling someone a d-head was going to fly in this thread?

1232550426_worffacepalm.gif

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(steelfrog @ Apr 2 2010, 10:42 AM) [snapback]539673[/snapback]
I agree with this, but what I did does not simply fall into the category of "not politically correct." It was abusive and gross and there is nothing else to say but that I went WAAAAAY too far and am sorry that I did, for people I hurt, for Wes and for myself, frankly. What a dumbass.

Sorry steel, but you have done this often. You've apologized in the past for it, and then done it again. That's the reason for my skepticism on this. You can't help yourself.

steelfrog

Tier 1
QUOTE(TopFrog @ Apr 2 2010, 03:44 PM) [snapback]539680[/snapback]
Sorry steel, but you have done this often. You've apologized in the past for it, and then done it again. That's the reason for my skepticism on this. You can't help yourself.

The dynamic has changed because I realize that the Mormon rhetoric has really upset real people--not anonymous screen characters. So it will not happen again. When it does, you can call me a liar. But that won't happen. It might be different if I actually had something against Mormons, but I certainly do not--it was an act, a game that I took way too far, and it is now over.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(steelfrog @ Apr 2 2010, 10:50 AM) [snapback]539687[/snapback]
The dynamic has changed because I realize that the Mormon rhetoric has really upset real people--not anonymous screen characters. So it will not happen again. When it does, you can call me a liar. But that won't happen. It might be different if I actually had something against Mormons, but I certainly do not--it was an act, a game that I took way too far, and it is now over.

I hope so, because that stuff is really, really bad. Schtick or not. There's nothing funny about it.

So, hope you are sincere this time about it.

When it comes to religions, to each his own.

PurplePutt

QUOTE(steelfrog @ Apr 2 2010, 10:42 AM) [snapback]539673[/snapback]

My politically correct comment was not directed to you Steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.