• The KillerFrogs

SEC Title Game...I mean National Championship

How many of yall will watch the SEC Title Game part 2?

• ESPN needs my help, of course I will watch

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • Would rather cut my arm off

Votes: 45 66.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 12 17.6%

• Total voters

FBallFan123

And prior to this year everyone was talking about how much Georgia sucked and how overrated they are every year. I get what you are saying, but if you don’t think they could have managed to get through a round robin Big 12 schedule this year at 8-1 or better I don’t know what to tell you. They are good. Their running game and defense would be a load for Big 12 teams to handle.

Georgia did have a reputation, but it was one built up under Mark Richt.

Coincidentally, Richt's Miami team this year survived a few scares before SHOCKINGLY collapsing at the end of this season losing their last 3 games (by a combined score of 96-41).

froghair

I've watched one championship game (Texas vs USC) since 1998. As far as I'm concerned, Georgia is the NC. Alabama didn't win their conference and thus was not even qualified to be there.

Zubaz

I've watched one championship game (Texas vs USC) since 1998. As far as I'm concerned, Georgia is the NC. Alabama didn't win their conference and thus was not even qualified to be there.
You avoid Super Bowls and World Series that have Wild Card bids in them too?

Wexahu

Alabama had just as much right to an SEC West championship as TCU did a Big 12 championship in 2014.

Conference championship games are money grabs that aren't even necessary and breaking a tie by virtue of the result of a HTH matchup where the game was played on one team's home field is about as unfair as it gets. Auburn gets beat by LSU and it's like that game doesn't count in the conference standings. It's stupid.

If there's one phrase that needs to be eliminated from the narrative, it's "but they didn't even win their conference" or, better yet, "they didn't even win their division in their conference". The only reason Alabama didn't win their division (and probably the SEC) is because the Iron Bowl was played in Auburn and not Tuscaloosa. And its the same reason we didn't win the Big 12 outright in 2014, we played in Waco instead of Fort Worth. Has nothing to do with who is the better team.

Zubaz

Alabama had just as much right to an SEC West championship as TCU did a Big 12 championship in 2014.
Yeah? They're division (co)champions, but not conference champions. Those aren't the same thing. He didn't say they didn't win their division (they did), he said they didn't win their conference (they didn't).

The only reason Alabama didn't win their division (and probably the SEC) is because the Iron Bowl was played in Auburn and not Tuscaloosa
No. Home field advantage does not account for 12 points, sorry.

Wexahu

Yeah? They're division (co)champions, but not conference champions. Those aren't the same thing. He didn't say they didn't win their division (they did), he said they didn't win their conference (they didn't).

No. Home field advantage does not account for 12 points, sorry.

I think the difference for Auburn between playing Alabama at Tuscaloosa or at Jordan-Hare could easily be 12 points. Hard to say.

The point remains though, the only reason Alabama didn't get to play in the SEC title game (which they would probably have been favored rather heavily in) is because of a dumb HTH tiebreaker that rendered Auburn's loss to LSU irrelevant with regards to who represented the SEC West.

Zubaz

I think the difference for Auburn between playing Alabama at Tuscaloosa or at Jordan-Hare could easily be 12 points. Hard to say.
No, very easy to say. It's not. Period. There's no reasonable way to suggest that home field advantage is worth two touchdowns.
The point remains though, the only reason Alabama didn't get to play in the SEC title game (which they would probably have been favored rather heavily in) is because of a dumb HTH tiebreaker that rendered Auburn's loss to LSU irrelevant with regards to who represented the SEC West.
I mean....are you just trying to ignore the results on the field? You're suggesting that even though Auburn just beat Alabama, Alabama should have gone to the SECCG because....just because? Why even play the game at that point?

Wexahu

No, very easy to say. It's not. Period. There's no reasonable way to suggest that home field advantage is worth two touchdowns.

I mean....are you just trying to ignore the results on the field? You're suggesting that even though Auburn just beat Alabama, Alabama should have gone to the SECCG because....just because? Why even play the game at that point?

No, I'm not. I'm saying Alabama shouldn't be penalized any more for not winning their division, or their conference, any more than they already were by not being able to play another game to add to their resume. Conference championships, IMO, have been greatly cheapened since the advent of 12 and 14-team conferences, split divisions, and CCGs. Who's to say Georgia "won" their conference more because they avoided Alabama (which goes to my other point) and had a favorable schedule than anything else?

I'm saying the "they didn't even win their conference" thing is bunk. Conference championships anymore are as much decided by who draws the long straw in the scheduling reshuffle as much as anything else. Case in point, the only reason Wisconsin won their division and was able to make it to a CCG and Penn State didn't was because Wisconsin was able to dodge Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan State and Penn State had to play OSU and MSU.

Wexahu

No, I'm saying Alabama shouldn't have been eliminated from playoff consideration because they didn't win their conference, which is the argument that SO MANY people use to try and say Alabama doesn't belong.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
No, I'm not. I'm saying Alabama shouldn't be penalized any more for not winning their division, or their conference, any more than they already were by not being able to play another game to add to their resume. Conference championships, IMO, have been greatly cheapened since the advent of 12 and 14-team conferences, split divisions, and CCGs. Who's to say Georgia "won" their conference more because they avoided Alabama (which goes to my other point) and had a favorable schedule than anything else?

I'm saying the "they didn't even win their conference" thing is bunk. Conference championships anymore are as much decided by who draws the long straw in the scheduling reshuffle as much as anything else. Case in point, the only reason Wisconsin won their division and was able to make it to a CCG and Penn State didn't was because Wisconsin was able to dodge Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan State and Penn State had to play OSU and MSU.

#MovingGoalposts

Jet Set Frog

Todd D. and Wexahu debating each other.

Classic!
giphy.gif

4 Oaks Frog

The committee set this up when they did the 1-4 pairings. They made sure the two sec teams didn’t play each other in the first round hoping for the results they got. You can’t tell me that is happenstance. However, if ou’s Riley had kept his foot on the accelerator, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. But, he didn’t, it played into the committee’s hands and we are...
GO FROGS!!!
BEAT tosu!!!
Spit Blood~~<~< and [Baylor asshoe]!!

Spike

The only reason Alabama didn't win their division (and probably the SEC) is because the Iron Bowl was played in Auburn and not Tuscaloosa.

It had a lot more to do with Bama getting away from what they do best, running between the tackles (also why they lost to Clemson lat year, but I digress). Another Key stat/factor is that Calvin Ridley has more receptions than the next 4 WRs combined. Having to play on road is no excuse. Bama got flat whipped. Auburn's stud TB Karrion (sp?) was injured in that game. In the UGA and UCF games he was a shadow of what he was for the majority of the Bama game.