• The KillerFrogs

Scouting OkState

ThisIsOurTime

Been watching the first half of the OkState game today and admittedly haven't watched their other games but a few things have jumped out:

1. OkState offense is very good in large part because of its versatility. They run the ball well with Hill and the backup, can complete the must have 3rd down passes to Stoner and can stretch the field with the long ball to a slew of receivers. Hard to take away an aspect of their game like the running game when they are so proficient in the other areas. Probably have to go more situational although even then OkState was willing to run the ball on 3rd and 11 near their end zone and do other things to break tendencies. It will be a challenge whatever the coaches decide. Would love to find a way to negate Stoner especially on 3rd down as he seems to the player who really extends the drives for OkState.

2. Rudolph is playing with a lot of confidence. He does not seem the least bit concerned about the Pittsburgh pass rush who have had several runs at the QB but struggled to bring him down. Rudolph would side step and patiently wait to look down field. It seems the Pittsburgh defenders were taken by surprise by Rudolph's size and agility. Hopefully, our players will be better prepared. One small benefit of Rudolph's confidence of standing tall in the pocket and willingness to extend plays rather than run up field is that he may be susceptible to the occassional strip ball. Plus, with his desire to not run up field when the play breaks down, this should give the DL and LBs a little extra time to keep pursuing even if they miss on the initial rush.

3. Left side of OkState's line seemed to have trouble blocking Pittsburgh. Whether it was a DL guy or a delayed blitz by a LB, this seemed to surprise them and since this was Rudolph's blind side, it also surprised him. However, despite this early advantage, Pitt wasn't able to bring Rudolph down often. So either the Pitt defenders aren't breaking down effectively and/or Rudolph is doing something to fool the Pitt defenders when in tight spaces. Either way, there should be an opportunity here but I am not sure it is as great as we would like. The delayed blitz seems to be a way to get pressure when OkState is looking for intermediate or deeper passing routes but that is high risk/reward with their receiving group.

4. OkState defense is hard to judge because the Pitt offense left a lot to be desired. I know we should be able to do more but I think how well we do in this game will turn more on how well our defense does. If we can run the ball consistently in this game, it may prove to be extra helpful to our defense if they get gassed at times.

Last edited:

LVH

They are good. Offense reminds me of Briles under Baylor, with a better defense.

With that being said I still think they haven't been tested and we will be miles ahead of the teams they have played so far. Tulsa isn't any good and neither is South Alabama. Pitt, if they are lucky, is going 4-8 this year. They needed OT to beat Youngstown State.

I am interested to see if our defensive line can really pressure their offense and make them uncomfortable. That's what ultimately did in Baylor's offenses under Briles. Defensive lines making things a lot difficult. That is what it all comes down to

Brog

".....left side of OKState's line seemed to have trouble blocking Pittsburgh." Well, they must, because the halftime score is only 49-7. If only that left side of OK's line could just block.

ThisIsOurTime

Based on the first half of our game, our defense is going to have its hands full. SMU's offense seems like a pretty good litmus test for next week and we are struggling to get a pass rush and their secondary receivers are consistently making plays. Have to give some credit to SMU though because they are making some plays.

TX_Krötenechse

Not to be a negative Nancy, but I just don't see us beating them. They're a really talented team who can score on you all over the field, they have a fantastic deep ball (a traditional weakness of TCU), and their defense is probably good enough to slow us down. Add that to our tendency through three games to shoot ourselves in the foot... it doesn't look good.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
My opinion is we beat them. Let them go ahead and read their headlines for the next few days.

Though I'd sure rather lose a regular season OSU or OU match than any potential B12 title game, if forced to choose...

FrogLifeYo

We'll do the same thing we did today. Try to take Washington out of the game like we did Sutton. Difference is they can kill you with Hill and their other recievers. They are loaded. Hope GP has some special stuf he's been holding back. I still have nightmares about that &$)$& pitch and catch exhibition they put on us in 2015.

tcumaniac

OSU is playing very good football. Combine that with having to play them in Stillwater, a place we have notoriously played poorly at, and I think we lose this one.

However, I think this will be our toughest game of the season.

The good news is that this game is early, and we can still very much make it to the championship game.

Sure. I hope we win. But a loss isn't the end of the season.