• The KillerFrogs

Running Game Question

Sebastian S

All but abandoned the run at points. I don't care if they stack the box. People do it to bama they still run just fine

It was very effective against Arkansas and OSU(minus the 4th Q) but we couldn't do it against WVU, who looked like had a far inferior rush defense.

Even against K State, we didn't seem to have as much success running the ball.

Again, as mentioned, it all seems to be linked to the moment we lost Morris.

Wexahu

It was very effective against Arkansas and OSU(minus the 4th Q) but we couldn't do it against WVU, who looked like had a far inferior rush defense.

Even against K State, we didn't seem to have as much success running the ball.

Again, as mentioned, it all seems to be linked to the moment we lost Morris.

I think it's more linked to the fact that teams are gearing up to stop our run. I don't think Arkansas was worried about our running game and I don't think OSU really was either. It really wasn't our identity for the past three years.

Defenses are going to continue to play us that way until we get our passing game going and make teams really pay for it, which up to this point we really haven't been able to do that much. Once we start hitting on some big pass plays the running game will suddenly start clicking again.

Sebastian S

That is true, that's why some people here, including me, wants to see that passing game open up.

Throw some shots down the field.

Competition only gets harder, I am hoping we do that against Kansas. Get the WR's some reps catching the ball.

asleep003

Defenses are going to continue to play us that way until we get our passing game going and make teams really pay for it, which up to this point we really haven't been able to do that much. Once we start hitting on some big pass plays the running game will suddenly start clicking again.

Agree, there were 3-4 very big plays of dropped balls laid right in the WR's hands that would have changed the overall thinking of our passing game. We start catching those and the ground game gets better. But for now, at least the pass blocking has greatly improved over 2016 ... thanks Chris Thomsen; you da man!

FBallFan123

When Morris gets back, our running game will step back up the notch it dropped from.

Yep, and if that 4-5 week timeline holds, he will hopefully be back for the Texas/Oklahoma/Texas Tech stretch.

Kansas State, Oklahoma and Texas Tech.....are all in the top 25 of rush defenses (per attempt) and Texas isn't far below them at 33.

Big 12 defenses are tougher to run on this season.

Surfrog

Football 101:

You can not run the ball effectively with 8 guys in the box.

You can not run the ball off tackle with a strong safety apexed.

KH had one of his best games ever, the pass was there (because 8 guys were in the box)

The short outside routes opened up (because the strong safety was apexed)

Missing starting center who sets run blocking. Easier to make correct pass block calls.

Moose Stuff

j
I was told by a board expert that the Morris injury was not a big deal and wouldn't make a difference to our run game.
I said it wasn't a HUGE deal. I never said it wouldn't make any difference. Curious what you have to say about the fact that over the last two games we've given the bulk of the carries to our second best back while running the ball much less and facing two teams who stacked the box to take away the run. Did THAT make any difference??? Also curious what you think about our 2-0 record since his injury and how that relates to my comment.

Last edited:

Sebastian S

j

over the last two games we've given the bulk of the carries to our second best back

Hate to say that this is true because of what Hicks has done in his career but just from what we have seen on the field, it could be true.

You also have to put into account Anderson had a healthy Morris to run behind.

Bottom line, I want to Morris back and maybe we can see how he changes things.

Moose Stuff

Hate to say that this is true because of what Hicks has done in his career but just from what we have seen on the field, it could be true.

You also have to put into account Anderson had a healthy Morris to run behind.

Bottom line, I want to Morris back and maybe we can see how he changes things.

I want him back too, we're a better team with him playing.

4th. down

I personally like Anderson as the primary RB. To me, he has so much more up side than Hicks. Anderson is a threat to go the distance every time he touches the ball, Hicks is not. I don't think they should mess with Anderson by totally taking him out of the game for one mistake (which had to be reviewed before it was actually declared a fumble). Anderson is the man.

Mad, your points are well taken but Hicks get's the start if he's healthy and here's why; good pass protection blocker, good cut blocker as a lead back, good receiver, and good runner. Yes, Anderson is capable of taking it to the house on any play but the coaches like that experience and those attributes mentioned here. The short of it, Hicks can do it all and that's not a knock on Anderson or Sewo.

Uncle_Frog

Count me as one of those who didn't think that losing Morris would be this big of an issue. I thought it would hurt a bit, but man do we need him back. It seems to have affected the play calling as well.

I'm not super concerned whether it's Hicks or Anderson getting the carries as they are both very talented, but they are averaging a COMBINED 19 carries per game the last two weeks and that is too low in my opinion.

Sand Frog

Mad, your points are well taken but Hicks get's the start if he's healthy and here's why; good pass protection blocker, good cut blocker as a lead back, good receiver, and good runner. Yes, Anderson is capable of taking it to the house on any play but the coaches like that experience and those attributes mentioned here. The short of it, Hicks can do it all and that's not a knock on Anderson or Sewo.

thank you. someone who finally gets it. I've been arguing with TCU friends about this for weeks. Watch any back in the game but Hicks when Hill checks out of a run to a pass. They miss their blocking assignment a lot and don't understand the blitz protection packages. They also don't block very well on the Hill runs. There's a reason a healthy Hicks is getting a lot of PT.

helcap

Stats disagree.

(although I agree with you. I should have said the stats say we run the ball worse this year)

Last years stats were boosted by monster game against Baylor, 431 yards rushing

Also if you back out K.Hills numbers, we are averaging 33 yards per game more rushing so far then last season. So RB's are doing better

BigPurple87

Football 101:

You can not run the ball effectively with 8 guys in the box.

You can not run the ball off tackle with a strong safety apexed.

KH had one of his best games ever, the pass was there (because 8 guys were in the box)

The short outside routes opened up (because the strong safety was apexed)

Missing starting center who sets run blocking. Easier to make correct pass block calls.

Bama does, not saying we are them but they do