• The KillerFrogs

Rumors

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
I know that we all hear things and want to let the world know about them as soon as possible but its a worthwhile endeavor to check the facts before you post them on this site.

A few days ago, it was posted that Dan Jenkins had donated his all of manuscripts to UT and there was split between Mr Jenkins and TCU because of a requested donation by the school.

That's an easy trap to fall in to and I fell for it myself but nothing could be farther from the truth and that truth could have been learned with a phone call or two.

Let me give you an example or two. Several years ago, it was reported on another site that Sam Houston State University was going to forfeit an NCAA regional tournament game as a way of protesting the outcome of the previous nights game against TCU. It was all over that site and starting to get traction on Killerfrogs.

I sent one email and the person who received it laughed at what I was telling him. "I'm watching SHSU warm up and take batting practice as I write this", was his response.

Last fall, I was asked "hey did you hear........?" I won't post the context of the rumor but it was of a personal nature and not good. One more email and it was quickly dispelled. Fortunately it never appeared on Killerfrogs but there would have been a real crap storm if it had.

Let me make this simple request. If you have a rumor about TCU, email me personally and I'll fact check it for you. I have a good relationship with the folks over there and they shoot straight with me. I'll then get back to you with the facts and let you post them if they are true. IF they are false, why would you want to post them?

Fair enough?

BABYFACE

thats-the-rumor.gif

Opintel

Moderators
That's fair, and prudent. Makes perfect sense, and is certainly the logical and intelligent thing to do.

Figure the odds...o_O

bleedpurple

How appropriate. Just yesterday a buddy of mine texted that Luken baker failed ag Eco and would not be able to play for awhile. Panic set in as there was nothing about it here or anywhere else so I then asked at least three more frog alumni that follow the baseball team closely. Nothing so I then texted the friend back and called him on his bs.

bleedpurple

Here are the screen shots of the text exchange got y'all's viewing pleasure

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 85

researchfrog

If you want to drive traffic to Twitter, Facebook groups, reddit, and other places where the university has less sway, that is up to you, Wes. As a site owner, you're in a tough spot compared to the more informal networks that exist elsewhere. Since rumors, even irresponsible ones, will always get through, the university should think about stepping up and addressing social media controversies directly. They should empower one or more employees to address issues on social media, similar to how ATOFrog works here but more so. They should cut you some slack, since you have a pretty good track record of squelching highly irresponsible rumors, which this Dan Jenkins kerfuffle isn't.

Deep Purple

What's funny about that rumor is that TCU doesn't even a course in agricultural economics per se. Ag eco is taught in the context of other economics coursework.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
If you want to drive traffic to Twitter, Facebook groups, reddit, and other places where the university has less sway, that is up to you, Wes. As a site owner, you're in a tough spot compared to the more informal networks that exist elsewhere. Since rumors, even irresponsible ones, will always get through, the university should think about stepping up and addressing social media controversies directly. They should empower one or more employees to address issues on social media, similar to how ATOFrog works here but more so. They should cut you some slack, since you have a pretty good track record of squelching highly irresponsible rumors, which this Dan Jenkins kerfuffle isn't.

Thanks. It goes with the territory and I do get calls, sometimes uncomfortable ones, like the one I received this morning.

I fully realize that controversy drives traffic but I don't want this site to be the Horned Frog version of TMZ. So when I hear something outrageous, I usually follow up to get some clarity. They ( TCU ) are always upfront with me and when they can tell me what's going on, they do. Sometimes they can't but they tell me enough to squelch a rumor so I will

When I say they sometimes can't tell me, that means privacy issues come into play and I get that.

In this case, Dan Jenkins apparently read the board and was pissed off. The other issues about the board, etc..not true.

My source on this was pretty damned high up the food chain