• The KillerFrogs

Rocking the sweet black lids again!

gdu

If you don't like these helmets, I question your legitimacy as a human.
Definitely my least favorite TCU helmets since I started following the program in the late 90s.

I don't have a problem with black helmets or chrome/metallic. I just think the oversized logo looks terrible. And that is true for me of every school that has worn them.

To me, the more troubling trend is the removal of our purple uniform. We are about to go an entire season without wearing purple tops at home (or maybe even at all). Really poor, IMO.

Wexahu

Definitely my least favorite TCU helmets since I started following the program in the late 90s.

I don't have a problem with black helmets or chrome/metallic. I just think the oversized logo looks terrible. And that is true for me of every school that has worn them.

To me, the more troubling trend is the removal of our purple uniform. We are about to go an entire season without wearing purple tops at home (or maybe even at all). Really poor, IMO.

Agree. As hideous as it would look, I'd like to see us come out with purple/purple/purple sometime, just to say we did it.

MinerFrog2409

The offseason sucks
It seems to me that TCU is trying to distance from the frogskin tops. We haven't worn the purple or the grey ones this year. I bet we end up with new jerseys next year and will return to wearing more purple.

Frog DJ

From the photo's of early Frog football, the leather helmets they wore appear to be black. Can any one verify this? I've always considered this to be the case but I'm not absolutely sure.
I was born in 1948, so I’m certainly not speaking from first-hand knowledge, but I believe those black leather helmets even inspired an alternate nickname for the Frogs, during those years.

Go Frogs!

froghair

I like the idea of the black helmets. The logo, on the other hand, not so much. Unless you are really close, you can't even detect that something is on the helmet, There is so little contrast between the black and dark purple, figuring out what it is from any distance is a real chore. Might as well paint the logo flat black. Not sure but I'd like to see a smaller version of that logo. It might be ok.
I was born in 1948, so I’m certainly not speaking from first-hand knowledge, but I believe those black leather helmets even inspired an alternate nickname for the Frogs, during those years.

Go Frogs!
Frog DJ,

Hadn't heard that before. Do you know what the alternate nickname was?

Tom Brown

I respect your opinion, but the Sullivan Cowboys/Kstate knockoffs were lame.

tcumaniac

Gave you a like because of the last paragraph. Driving me crazy we haven't worn purple tops yet.

These certainly aren't my favorite helmets, but they're way better than the helmets we were against LSU and Texas in 2013. Hate hate hated those. And we lost both games.

Frog DJ

I like the idea of the black helmets. The logo, on the other hand, not so much. Unless you are really close, you can't even detect that something is on the helmet, There is so little contrast between the black and dark purple, figuring out what it is from any distance is a real chore. Might as well paint the logo flat black. Not sure but I'd like to see a smaller version of that logo. It might be ok.

Frog DJ,

Hadn't heard that before. Do you know what the alternate nickname was?
Sadly, I do not. I remember reading something about it several years ago, but my failing memory can't recall what it was.

I even searched the Internet trying to find a reference to it, because I knew some one would ask, but I could find nothing.

I never should have mentioned it in the first place...

Go Frogs!

Double V

I do agree that we should have done black pants, purple tops, and these lids for this game. Then do black tops, purple pants with purple chrome for the BU "blackout".

CMcFrog

Love the giant Frog helmet. Best of the giant logo helmets. The OSU Cowboy is hideous, by the way.
Would prefer more purple and less black. Good use of the frogskin print this year. Go Frogs.