• The KillerFrogs

Rivard Report: Will the Alamo Bowl Deliver a Holiday Bonus for San Antonio’s Economy?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
scottball_tcu_patobriens_alamobowl_1-1-2016-4.jpg

Will the Alamo Bowl Deliver a Holiday Bonus for San Antonio’s Economy?

SHARI BIEDIGER

Come Thursday, tens of thousands of football fans from Texas to California will descend upon downtown San Antonio for the kickoff of the 2017 Valero Alamo Bowl at the Alamodome.

But so far, demand has not met the previous year, said Robert Thrailkill, vice president of operations for Zachry Hospitality and general manager of the Hilton Palacio del Rio and Staybridge Suites/Convention Center.

“My sense is that TCU will bring their supporters, but Stanford supporters may not travel as well as they typically do,” he said, likely in part because of the distance the California team’s fans have to travel. “We expect to be sold out the night of the game.”

Read more at https://therivardreport.com/will-the-alamo-bowl-deliver-a-holiday-bonus-for-san-antonios-economy/

Froginbedford

I don't get a sense of buzz about this game...either in the print media or even on here....Two games in 3 years at the same place isn't very exciting (unless both are playoff games) and the venue was less than adequate according to those who were there in 2015....

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
More importantly, will SA's economy be open late enough to take advantage of those "tens of thousands?"

I imagine they'll pull the same thing as last time: Kitchens close at 9pm. Close down at 10pm. Massive, and hungry, crowd stares at closed restaurant at 11pm.

I don't think for a second that the Alamodome people have their logistics issues all ironed out. Not even close. They have had no dress rehearsal that could possibly imitate the full-on crazy of a game-day frenzy. The persons hired to do the various jobs will all be thrown into the fire at the same time, and the likely result will be chaos. And, a lot of hungry and thirsty football fans.

Just keep some food in your hotel mini-fridge. That's about the only way you'll get a meal after the game...

Limp Lizard

Washington State and Michigan State play at the same time. Not competition by ESPN, but competition from a game with two ranked teams.

S3NATOR

Does our experience differ from other teams Alamo Bowl experiences? I was at the 2015 Bowl and we had to get in our car and drive down the highway to find an open McDonalds to get food after the game. Does this happen every year to other teams? If more of the restaurant's along the Riverwalk and near the Dome were open that night they would have banked it.

Spike

The weather is not cooperating, either. A lot of the experience is eating outdoors on the Riverwalk.

I've never had great food on the Riverwalk. Better food is in the neighborhoods, I do remember having very limited choices last year after game ended. It seems we ate at a local version of Denny's/IHOP

I'm excited about the bowl game. Hope TCU is ready to support its 10 win team. TCU needs to show up when they play other Power Conference teams. If Big 12 ever breaks up TCU needs to show it will travel for games against their conferences (esp. in state)

Big 12 runner up versus Pac-12 runner up is very intriguing and exciting. Well-coached squads, very similar teams and schools.

Lots a great hype:
Sporting News rates this top 10 bowl game:
NO. 8 ALAMO BOWL: NO. 13 STANFORD VS. NO. 15 TCU
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...oton-ohio-state-usc/xwxi55dceh361lqhi9s8j5gtt

USA Today rates it #8 as well:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...9-college-football-bowl-games-10-1/953863001/

Last edited:

BABYFACE

I've never had great food on the Riverwalk. Better food is in the neighborhoods, I do remember having very limited choices last year after game ended. It seems we ate at a local version of Denny's/IHOP

The Hilton Palacio bar has solid burger, appetizer options in the evening. Just don’t know how late they will be open. Better dining choices along the Riverwalk can be found at the better hotels, than the sidewalk cafe’s.

If Fuddruckers is still open, solid choice. Can’t go wrong with Whataburger. Venturing a distance to the Market, Mi Tierra is a winner.

Third option. Keep two Slim Jim’s in one back pocket and a flask of bourbon in the other pocket and you will be covered.

Froglaw

I imagine they'll pull the same thing as last time: Kitchens close at 9pm. Close down at 10pm. Massive, and hungry, crowd stares at closed restaurant at 11pm.

I don't think for a second that the Alamodome people have their logistics issues all ironed out. Not even close. They have had no dress rehearsal that could possibly imitate the full-on crazy of a game-day frenzy. The persons hired to do the various jobs will all be thrown into the fire at the same time, and the likely result will be chaos. And, a lot of hungry and thirsty football fans.

Just keep some food in your hotel mini-fridge. That's about the only way you'll get a meal after the game...

I'm stopping at Buckees on the way down and getting a couple of huge sandwiches to keep in my travel ice chest for after the game.

SA has no night life service after midnight.

Dogfrog

Alamobowl and the city of San Antonio are helping the Fort Worth economy through sales of beer, liquor, packaged dinners at Eatzi’s, etc. for the trip down, to be eaten in the hotel room after the game. We won’t be fooled again.

LisaLT

At least there is no rain in the forecast. It'll be cold, but I'd take cold over pouring rain any day.

I hope all of you who are going to the game have an awesome time. May you have all the food and drink you need, along with a TCU victory. lol.

Spike

The Hilton Palacio bar has solid burger, appetizer options in the evening. Just don’t know how late they will be open. Better dining choices along the Riverwalk can be found at the better hotels, than the sidewalk cafe’s.

If Fuddruckers is still open, solid choice. Can’t go wrong with Whataburger. Venturing a distance to the Market, Mi Tierra is a winner.

Third option. Keep two Slim Jim’s in one back pocket and a flask of bourbon in the other pocket and you will be covered.

Ultimately we did Whataburger. Was especially sweet after the Stanford Band comments at Halftime. Those California hippies have smoked way too much tree.