• The KillerFrogs

Record Town on University moving

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Heh. All my old LPs are safely ensconced in wooden crates stamped 'Sound Warehouse' that I have had since '82. Yikes...

Some years ago, an evening of entertaining younger folk turned to a discussion of tunes by bands that the kids were familiar with, but had never heard the tracks in question. Having had just enough Oat Pop to think it was a good idea, I said, "Hey! I have that on vinyl! Let's break out the old turntable and I'll play it for you!"

Sadly, this entailed moving a bunch of old furniture, then getting onto a tight little below-stairs closet, and fetching out my trusty old Technics turntable from beneath a plastic sheet. Victory! Then, after more Oat Pop, there was The Quest for the Right Cables. More beer. Then, the gymnastics required to attach the RCA cabling and pesky ground wire to the amp. Meanwhile, Mrs. Brewingfrog has gotten into the music closet and gently moved my beloved Rickenbackers out of the way so as to get to the LPs. The relevant albums were withdrawn.

All was ready! I turned the amp selector to 'Phono' and drew the arm over, dropped the needle... And nothing happened. All was shut down, and I figured out that the belt which turned the platter had rotted away over the many years the thing had been living under the stairs. But, Mrs. Brewingfrog had a big postal rubber band! We could use that as the belt!

This replacement item was put in place and all turned on once again. The turntable sprang into motion! The needle dropped! And the music was awful! The rubber band wasn't rigid enough to do the job, and the speed bounced back and forth resulting in a terrible mess. I turned the thing off in disgust. The kids were laughing at all the craziness and effort we went to just to play a silly old record.

Luckily, there was more beer. I may not have had a working turntable, but the kegbox was in fine shape. Thank goodness...

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Cathy related to John Brownlee?

I don’t recall her mentioning a brother.
She was class ‘81.
Spinned music @ KTCU in the old Landreth dungeon back when they had a coat hanger on the roof for an antenna and 60 watts of power. On a good night I could tune in from Clark dorm and maybe hear.