• The KillerFrogs

Record Town on University moving

StigFrog

New part owner Tom Reynolds knows not to change a thing other than the location.
Tom plays guitar for the Bucket List Jazz Band if you have seen them around Fort Worth.

I had some water cooled Altec Lansing speakers for about 20 years. I wish I would have kept them. I still think they sounded better than the Bose system I have now.

Frog Wild

Ticket Exchange Pass
Sumter Bruton is also an excellent guitar player, he played with the Juke Jumpers for years and he has an encyclopedic mind for The Blues. I once asked him about a song and he said "You probably know the version by X, but it was also done by Y, and originally by Z." And he was right.
I still have a cardboard display from Bruce Springsteen's "Darkness On The Edge Of Town" that Mr. and Mrs. Bruton let me take from the store.
Great folks, truly the end of an era.

Tom Brown

Technics direct drive quartz turntable. I would look secondary market from good to mint condition. You can buy new, but that quality is going to be about $600.

Definitely go secondary market on a good receiver. Look for something from the 70’s, 80’s or 90’s. If want to go pure, go with an amplifier with a separate tuner instead of a receiver. Crown or McIntosh tube amp. Speakers are tough. Like vintage loudspeakers but still good new ones being made for an old style system but will be harder to find and more expensive.

You can go brand new on a system but it will be very expensive. To get the quality, it will be 5k plus. Can easily drop 10k. Mint vintage is the way to go. Pioneer and Marantz of the 70’s was very solid for the money. No digital readout. Stick to units that use VU meter, knobs, and leavers if you go the receiver route.

Maniac, ask your father or someone that had a high fidelity seperate component system for advice.

Are you a collector?

Tom Brown

I have a stout record collection built in part from Record Town, Dino's that was on Berry, and records i stole from KTCU.

I move that this thread becomes the official vinyl record thread.

I collect everything but especially jazz, and i have a thing for Memphis soul Stax and Hi.
In my defense, ktcu had switched to cd's and these records were in storage

Waccy Frog

Steve Bruton was awesome. Among many other things, he wrote the songs for the movie Crazy Heart with Jeff Bridges. He was amazing and died way too young. Record Town (which was owned by his parents) was a very cool connection between his incredible talent and TCU. Sorry to see another chapter close, but best wishes for the future.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I don't own one but I've been told by someone I trust completely about this topic that these are outstanding for new turntables and can be affordable if you don't go crazy with customization.

https://uturnaudio.com/

That was a long sentence.