• The KillerFrogs

Realignment and CDC's Role

FROG PARENTS 1961

My vote is bring the Big 12 back to 12 with Arizona and Arizona St.
This works. Keeping the Big 12 together is much better than travelling out west in the coming years as a Pac 12-14 member. That would suck bigtime in so many ways. A 12 team conference Arizona, Arizona State, TT, TCU, Baylor & Texas would be a southwest division and Oklahoma, Ok State, Kansas, K State, Iowa State & West Virginia would be a midland division.

froginaustin

If Arizona or Arizona State leave the PAC for the Big Twelve, where will they get their players?

Unless my impression is wrong (wouldn't be the first time if it was), the 2 'Zona schools get a few from states east of them, primarily Texas, and a few home-grown, and most of their squads from California.

For that reason alone, and there may be other reasons like all their alums that don't live in Phoenix living in L.A., I don't see how they can voluntarily leave the PAC.

FROG PARENTS 1961

I disagree. He would do it if it helped UT, he wouldn't do it if it hurt UT, but there's a third option: It doesn't really affect UT either way. Say the decision comes down to Baylor or TCU, they have to pick one to take with them, and CDC gets a vote. You don't think he'd prefer us over them? I do, personally.

That said, we aren't getting in to the Pac-12. That's not happening for a host of different reasons, none of which anyone at UT has any control over. They'd take UT, they could probably be talked in to Tech, they'll never take us. If that's UT's destination, we will need to rely on ourselves to find a different destination.
if it comes down to Texas picking 1 of TT and TCU they will pick....wait for it.....Oklahoma and go to the SEC. I would would bet on it happening in 5 years from today. Bama and Auburn join the East, Mizzu moves to the west and WALA WE scheissED

BankerFrog

if it comes down to Texas picking 1 of TT and TCU they will pick....wait for it.....Oklahoma and go to the SEC. I would would bet on it happening in 5 years from today. Bama and Auburn join the East, Mizzu moves to the west and WALA WE scheissED
No way they will join the SEC. A&M has a veto vote and will not allow another Public Texas University into the conference.

No chance in Hell they let UT into the SEC

BABYFACE

And they only carry that weight because of national perception. No one outside of Texas cares about Texas politics, so the political weight isn’t a major factor in conference realignment other than creating binding relationships between state schools (if you want school x you also have to take school y). TCU needs to continue, and in some ways ramp up, their push towards establishing itself as a nationally recognized brand. By changing national perception of TCU from a little private school to a perennial contender we flip the script.

Ala the Miami Hurricanes.

BABYFACE

I am not convinced that the Big 12 goes away--we already make more than the Pac 12 and the ACC leagues. Schools just need to keep winning and the league will be fine.
Yep, it is about the money. This is why the Big 12 not only continues, but gets stronger. Like I mentioned in another post, I think the Big 12 picks up a couple of ACC teams at the time of contract renewals.

BABYFACE

UT and OU are content on being the power brokers in the Big 12 and the money is ahead of of PAC and ACC, and just right behind the Big 10 and the SEC. It seems that is a winning combo for UT and OU. Unless that formula is drastically altered, Big 12 will get stronger at contract renewals.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
UT and OU are content on being the power brokers in the Big 12 and the money is ahead of of PAC and ACC, and just right behind the Big 10 and the SEC. It seems that is a winning combo for UT and OU. Unless that formula is drastically altered, Big 12 will get stronger at contract renewals.
And that right there is the only silver lining in CDC’s move to the Orange side. No way CDC moves to a conference making less money. Therefore any realignment in which the B12 has an opportunity to get stronger or keep more of the pie will have CDC advocating for Texas to stay put.

Gringo1873

The bigger concern is that UT will be politically forced to bring along its red-headed stepchild state school rather than some uppity private school. Same holds true for OU - Okie Lite. It is nice to have CDC there, but when the state power brokers come calling, he isn't going to spit in their face to do TCU a huge solid unless there is a good economic reason.

What’s wrong with step-children? I love mine as my own.

netty2424

Sat next to Greg Byrne (former AZ AD and current Alabama AD) on a plane about 2 years ago. He and CDC are buddies and that's why we started chatting. Talked for 2 hours on the flight. At that time, he thought that when the TV contracts were up and the next set of re-alignment talks come up, it is MUCH more likely that AZ and ASU head to Big 12 than any B12 school heading west. Take it for what its worth - a guy on a plane sharing a drink with perfect stranger who is at a different school now - but that's what he said.
I wouldn't be mad at that. Would be great to snatch up Nebraska and Arkansas too. Completely wishful thinking but I'd be on board with those 4 additions.

TCUdirtbag

I am not convinced that the Big 12 goes away--we already make more than the Pac 12 and the ACC leagues. Schools just need to keep winning and the league will be fine.

This. It amazes me how much dumb there is in this thread. UT has absolutely no reason to go West. The PAC-12 makes substantially less in TV money than the Big 12, has huge network distribution problems, and the gap is only going to grow. The Arizona schools want out. The conference gets [ Finebaum ] kickoff times and nobody watches them play. UT is trying to up attendance and fan interest after years of mediocrity - the solution isn’t to start playing UCLA every year at 9 pm CT or to have Utah in DKR every other year. Much less to start shipping Basketball to Pullman, Seattle, Eugene, Stanford, Berkeley and Salt Lake for Tuesday tips.

ESPN will own almost all the Big 12 schools’ Tier 3 rights after the FOX deal closes. Big 12 dissolution is no more likely and probably less financially favorable in the medium and long term than Big 12 survival. Pac 12 rights are up first. The Big 12 will be out to poach with all sorts of options on the table with regard to its own media deals. The trifurcation of media contracts into Tier 1 (ESPN), Tier 2 (FOX) and Tier 3 (about to be nearly all ESPN) gives the league a lot of flexibility, leverage and opportunity to be innovative. What matters the most are pressures on the university presidents. OU is having no problem with money or access to the CFP. UT is drowning in cash. The big 2 can’t get much more and their voice would not be as powerful elsewhere as it is here. Plus There’s no incentive rice to go West - in fact there are only disincentives.

My money is on this thing carrying on at least into the 30s.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
This. Anyone who believes CDC somehow gives UT some inside edge on getting into the PAC is living in a false reality. Just dumb. They can go wherever, whenever.

Did I say that? No, I didn't. Maybe you should brush up on your reading comprehension skillz before you start slinging around the word "dumb", buckaroo...

LeagueCityFrog

Check the numbers. With UT's lucrative for the school Longhorn Network and OU's current $8m deal with Fox Sports Oklahoma, they make more TV money when you factor in the tier 3 tv rights than anyone, especially UT for another X amount of years before the Longhorn Network either goes bye bye or digital for the next round with someone like Facebook or Amazon. TCU needs to do a better job negotiating with the new ESPN Sports DFW channel replacing FSSW on our next round of local negoiations. We gave our 3rd tier rights away for pennies to FSSW the last round. Every TCU baseball game should be on local regional TV going forward and if not then on that Facebook stream. Casual fans will watch that too.