• The KillerFrogs

Realignment and CDC's Role

BankerFrog

My thought is this has been discussed ad naseum.

Your assertion that Tech is imploding is way off base, by the way. And don’t be foolish—CDC is the AD at Texas and will look out only for Texas. Gander over to his twitter feed—he’s pumping the old Texas lines and has become exactly what you’d expect a UT AD to be. That’s what he’s paid to do. TCU has to look out for TCU because nobody else will.
Tech isn't imploding? They just lost their OC to Incarnate word and their RB coach just moved to LA-Lafayette to be in the exact same role. Their recruiting class is #60, they're garbage and going down. Yes they ight be having a good year in basketball but football rules the Big 12, let's be honest.

All I'm saying is that CDC is more likely to be favorable to us than virtually ANY OTHER AD THEY COULD HAVE SIGNED. I don't know what is so hard to comprehend about that.

netty2424

I wish we had a defensive heir apparent to take over for Gary one day. Gary is such a defensive genius... it’d be a shame if he didn’t mold a young bright mind to carry on his knowledge one day. Chad Glasgow doesn’t do it for me.
That's a great point maniac. While most think Cumbie is being "groomed" to take over, I'm not sure how defensive minded he is. And I can't see him sitting in waiting for 7 years. Will be interesting to see our own coaching carrousel when GP moves on.

BankerFrog

And they only carry that weight because of national perception. No one outside of Texas cares about Texas politics, so the political weight isn’t a major factor in conference realignment other than creating binding relationships between state schools (if you want school x you also have to take school y). TCU needs to continue, and in some ways ramp up, their push towards establishing itself as a nationally recognized brand. By changing national perception of TCU from a little private school to a perennial contender we flip the script.

I don't disagree with you at all, but you and I both know Texas still carries much more clout than us and it's better to have CDC in control over their than anyone else. He may not actively campaign for us, but I'd bet my left hand that he would never negatively campaign against us.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I don't disagree with you at all, but you and I both know Texas still carries much more clout than us and it's better to have CDC in control over their than anyone else. He may not actively campaign for us, but I'd bet my left hand that he would never negatively campaign against us.

Unless told to by the power cabal that is UT...

Wexahu

That's a great point maniac. While most think Cumbie is being "groomed" to take over, I'm not sure how defensive minded he is. And I can't see him sitting in waiting for 7 years. Will be interesting to see our own coaching carrousel when GP moves on.

I much prefer the "defensive-minded" head coach who hires a innovative, aggressive OC arrangement than the other way around. I've just seen too many coaches out there that are all offense and pay lip service to defense at best and I hate watching those teams. Have no interest in TCU becoming one of those.

lowfrog

Another day on Killerfrogs. Another conference realignment thread that is 100% speculation since no one knows what is going to happen in the future. But people have to deploy their conspiracy theories and have something to argue about; otherwise, they have nothing to do and feel unimportant.

Zubaz

CDC will only look out for our interests if they somehow align with UT’s. Anything else would be professional malpractice on his part. Unfortunate, but true.
I disagree. He would do it if it helped UT, he wouldn't do it if it hurt UT, but there's a third option: It doesn't really affect UT either way. Say the decision comes down to Baylor or TCU, they have to pick one to take with them, and CDC gets a vote. You don't think he'd prefer us over them? I do, personally.

That said, we aren't getting in to the Pac-12. That's not happening for a host of different reasons, none of which anyone at UT has any control over. They'd take UT, they could probably be talked in to Tech, they'll never take us. If that's UT's destination, we will need to rely on ourselves to find a different destination.

Dogfrog

He does not have loyalty to TCU. I firmly believe that CDC will be coming after our coaches. If he has no problem walking away from TCU so he can publicly weep at the opportunity to be a Longhorn, why would he stay away from his coaching buddies at TCU? He is now paid to upgrade UT athletics and he will do whatever necessary to do that. Hope his buddy Donati and Boschini understand this.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Re-Alignment is coming. 5 years away. Lots of crazy changes coming. CDC was raised and learned the ropes in the PAC. His rolodex is full of people with whom he built relationships while there. UT picked him, hell, pursued him precisely because of his standing and acumen with the PAC and the people who run it. UT has been looking West since the 80's and CDC is just the fellow to make such a Grand Re-Alignment happen. The man can sell ice to Eskimos...

As to "he doesn't care about us anymore..." He lives and breathes in a world dominated by relationships. The Good Old Boys Club. One does not do others wrong in this Club unless absolutely necessary. TCU helped make him what he is, and he will not, cannot forget that. We are an important complement to UT, and make for an attractive package to a more Westerly-based Conference. No, he will not forget us. We have value, and that means something in his machinations.

I truly hate losing the guy. However, we couldn't have a better ally in the position he is in. UT will be a huge driver in the Re-Alig

Dogfrog

Re-Alignment is coming. 5 years away. Lots of crazy changes coming. CDC was raised and learned the ropes in the PAC. His rolodex is full of people with whom he built relationships while there. UT picked him, hell, pursued him precisely because of his standing and acumen with the PAC and the people who run it. UT has been looking West since the 80's and CDC is just the fellow to make such a Grand Re-Alignment happen. The man can sell ice to Eskimos...

As to "he doesn't care about us anymore..." He lives and breathes in a world dominated by relationships. The Good Old Boys Club. One does not do others wrong in this Club unless absolutely necessary. TCU helped make him what he is, and he will not, cannot forget that. We are an important complement to UT, and make for an attractive package to a more Westerly-based Conference. No, he will not forget us. We have value, and that means something in his machinations.

I truly hate losing the guy. However, we couldn't have a better ally in the position he is in. UT will be a huge driver in the Re-Alig

The PAC would take UT at any time and without reservation regardless who the UT AD is.

netty2424

If UT leaves TCU behind during realignment, this may very well be the reason why. TCU has [ hundin] slapped UT (for the most part) since we joined the Big 12, and UT far far more to gain by separating themselves from TCU than keeping us close. UT doesn't care about a healthy conference.....UT cares about UT.
UT just hasn't been good. If it's not TCU it'll be someone else. UT isn't running from anyone.

AustFrog

Sat next to Greg Byrne (former AZ AD and current Alabama AD) on a plane about 2 years ago. He and CDC are buddies and that's why we started chatting. Talked for 2 hours on the flight. At that time, he thought that when the TV contracts were up and the next set of re-alignment talks come up, it is MUCH more likely that AZ and ASU head to Big 12 than any B12 school heading west. Take it for what its worth - a guy on a plane sharing a drink with perfect stranger who is at a different school now - but that's what he said.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Sat next to Greg Byrne (former AZ AD and current Alabama AD) on a plane about 2 years ago. He and CDC are buddies and that's why we started chatting. Talked for 2 hours on the flight. At that time, he thought that when the TV contracts were up and the next set of re-alignment talks come up, it is MUCH more likely that AZ and ASU head to Big 12 than any B12 school heading west. Take it for what its worth - a guy on a plane sharing a drink with perfect stranger who is at a different school now - but that's what he said.
Did he mention kicking Baylor out?