• The KillerFrogs

Random Stats from 3/4 of the way through the Regular Season-Strength in Numbers

• Thread starter Way of the Frog
  • Start date
W

Way of the Frog

Took a look at the numbers for the Frogs 3/4 of the through the regular season and if there is one common thread it is that the old saying strength in numbers might be the best way to describe this year's season to this point.

7 Frogs have caught 10 passes so far this season and 4 more have a legitimate chance to pass than mark by the end of the year.
11 Frogs have a td catch which is the most in the country.

Balance is also a big theme offensively as the Frogs have 20 rushing td's and 18 receiving td's.

The idea of strength in numbers translates over to the defensive side of the ball as well.

19 Frog defenders have registered a TFL
13 Frog defenders have a sack
7 Frog defenders have an interception
15 Frog defenders have a Pass Defended credited to them

Travin Howard is the leading tackler, but I am curious how many people would guess who is second on the defense in solo tackles and tied for second in total tackles.

Ridwan Issahaku has 29 solos and 46 total tackles in a break out year for him.

The defensive line reinforces the idea of strength in numbers as well as building for the future when you look at their numbers.

9 Frog defensive linemen have combined for 35 1/2 TFL (Banogu leads with 12 1/2) which is over half of the total for the Frog defense.
7 of those 9 defensive linemen are juniors or younger and those 7 have combined for 26 of that total of 35 1/2
8 Frog defensive linemen have combined for 20 sacks (Ben again leads with 6 1/2) which is the majority of the defense's total of 28.
6 of those 8 again could possibly return for at least next season.

Finally, I posted a stat last time about the Frogs outscoring their opponents in each quarter and some pointed out that the Frogs hadn't outscored their opponent literally in each quarter.

I checked those numbers and found this break down. TCU has outplayed 36 quarters of football this season.

22 quarters they outscored their opponent for that specific quarter
8 quarters scoring was even for the quarter
6 quarters the opponent outscored TCU

Here is the number I found interesting.

3 quarters out of 36 did an opponent score more than 10 points against TCU

Those were:
16 by SMU in the 1st quarter
14 by OSU in the 4th quarter
14 by WVU in the 3rd quarter

Common retort is that TCU has played some bad offenses. In the words of Lee Cors0

th

TCU has faced 8 D-1 teams so far (all jokes aside about Kansas), 5 of those 8 were ranked in the top 50 in D-1 in scoring offense, Arkansas was ranked #55 and UT was ranked #67. Simple translation, 7 of the 8 D-1 teams TCU has faced this year averaged 28 or more points a game.

Only 1 of those 8 teams have scored within 10 points of their seasonal average and that was SMU.

Numbers are great and fine, but don't mean crap if the Frogs don't come out and execute Saturday night in Norman.

The numbers also point out to me that while there might not be any big, big stars on this team there is talent and that talent can play at a very high level based upon the first 9 games of the season.