• The KillerFrogs

Question for Frog baseball officianados . . .

HUT-Frog

With Utah leaving, we have five baseball schools. Is there a requirement for at least six?

Looking over the NCAA sponsorship list, it appears a sixth team would have to come from the independents. Schools try to stay within all-sports leagues as much as possible.

Wouldn't that make Dallas Baptist a prime candidate? (For whatever reason, DBU did not appear on the final 2010 NCAA Baseball RPI release.) DBU plays D1 schools throughout its schedule.

Other independents that might make some georgraphical sense (with their RPI ranking) would be Cal State-Bakersfield (#318), Houston Baptist (#327), Northern Colorado (N/A), Seattle (#192) and Utah Valley (#342).

Would be interested on insights as to how this is likely to work out.

West Coast Johnny

QUOTE(HUT-Frog @ Jun 21 2010, 02:09 PM) [snapback]585084[/snapback]
With Utah leaving, we have five baseball schools. Is there a requirement for at least six?

Looking over the NCAA sponsorship list, it appears a sixth team would have to come from the independents. Schools try to stay within all-sports leagues as much as possible.

Wouldn't that make Dallas Baptist a prime candidate? (For whatever reason, DBU did not appear on the final 2010 NCAA Baseball RPI release.) DBU plays D1 schools throughout its schedule.

Other independents that might make some georgraphical sense (with their RPI ranking) would be Cal State-Bakersfield (#318), Houston Baptist (#327), Northern Colorado (N/A), Seattle (#192) and Utah Valley (#342).

Would be interested on insights as to how this is likely to work out.

I don't know the answer to your question, but since the MWC has no competance in baseball, TCU should use our newfound national credibility to make some changes. We could add a baseball only team. Two that come to mind that might be interested is DBU or ORU. Both those teams would give the second place MWC team a fight. Actually we could add several baseball only teams to make it a better league.

2nd option (preferable) - stop competing in the MWC in baseball. Jumping to C-USA would give us a rival in Rice and quality programs in Tulane & Southern Miss. I'm sure C-DOA would love to have us as a baseball only program, and if the MWC doesn't make improvements soon, why should we play six games a year with these RPI sucking schools?

HUT-Frog

The point about the MWC is valid. TCU's RPI was something like #191.

Problem with ORU: Plays in Horizon League, where its basketball membership lies.

Problem with C-USA: Certainly not its baseball talent level. But the leadership of that conference, the past problems TCU encountered with certain members of that conference, not to mention that it would lead to all kinds of ridiculous ascertions that TCU wanted to leave the MWC in all sports and go back to C-USA, I just don't think that is a viable option.

PurpleBlood87

To begin with MWC still has six teams, TCU, BYU, New Mexico, Air Force, UNLV and SDSU. That will probably mean a round robin with three-game series at each school. That's 30 games. More than enough to seed the tournament. Also, you don't have to play a tournament at the end of the season. The PAC-10 doesn't have a tournament.

pgdfrog

TCU
UNM
SDSU
BYU
UNLV
USAFA

That's 6. Going to stink to play 3 teams twice, but that looks like what it will be. Boise needs to add.

R

RJ Fletcher

Utah's departure actually leaves the MWC with six baseball-playing schools: TCU, New Mexico, Air Force, BYU, UNLV and San Diego State.

You raise an interesting point, though. It would be nice to avoid playing a true double-round robin schedule, because a few of those teams are major drags on our RPI.

Remember, too, that with Nebraska's departure, the Big 12 now has just nine baseball-playing schools...

PurpleBlood87

QUOTE(HUT-Frog @ Jun 21 2010, 04:22 PM) [snapback]585093[/snapback]
The point about the MWC is valid. TCU's RPI was something like #191.

Problem with ORU: Plays in Horizon League, where its basketball membership lies.

Problem with C-USA: Certainly not its baseball talent level. But the leadership of that conference, the past problems TCU encountered with certain members of that conference, not to mention that it would lead to all kinds of ridiculous ascertions that TCU wanted to leave the MWC in all sports and go back to C-USA, I just don't think that is a viable option.

TCU's RPI isn't 191 it's currently 10. Dallas Baptist is at 131.

Last updated: Mon Jun 21 08:30:07 2010

Division I Overall
Rank Rating W L W L Team

1 0.648 51 8 52 8 Arizona State
2 0.634 55 10 55 10 Coastal Carolina
3 0.634 47 16 47 16 Florida
4 0.631 51 14 51 14 Virginia
5 0.629 49 14 49 14 UCLA
6 0.625 50 13 50 13 Texas
7 0.618 50 14 50 14 Louisville
8 0.613 46 18 46 18 Cal State Fullerton
9 0.613 40 20 43 20 Miami, Florida
10 0.610 52 12 52 12 Texas Christian
11 0.610 43 21 43 21 Arkansas
12 0.609 46 20 46 20 Vanderbilt
13 0.608 42 25 42 25 Alabama
14 0.608 50 16 50 16 Oklahoma
15 0.606 47 15 47 15 Georgia Tech
16 0.604 48 16 48 16 South Carolina
17 0.604 47 19 47 19 Florida State
18 0.598 43 23 43 23 Clemson
19 0.596 43 21 43 21 Auburn
20 0.591 43 21 43 21 Texas A&M

sous vide

QUOTE(HUT-Frog @ Jun 21 2010, 05:56 PM) [snapback]585100[/snapback]
TOUCHE!

I have to learn how to count! :blush:

BSU may actually start a baseball team w/ the extra money, in my opinion. Possibly.

HUT-Frog

QUOTE(PurpleBlood87 @ Jun 21 2010, 04:27 PM) [snapback]585103[/snapback]
TCU's RPI isn't 191 it's currently 10. Dallas Baptist is at 131.

Link? Obviously the one I had wasn't particularly accurate. (Damn, this thread is becoming embarrassing!!!!! :blush: )

Mike Brooks

QUOTE(West Coast Johnny @ Jun 21 2010, 03:18 PM) [snapback]585092[/snapback]
<br />I don't know the answer to your question, but since the MWC has no competance in baseball, TCU should use our newfound national credibility to make some changes. We could add a baseball only team. Two that come to mind that might be interested is DBU or ORU. Both those teams would give the second place MWC team a fight. Actually we could add several baseball only teams to make it a better league. <br /><br />2nd option (preferable) - stop competing in the MWC in baseball. Jumping to C-USA would give us a rival in Rice and quality programs in Tulane &amp; Southern Miss. I'm sure C-DOA would love to have us as a baseball only program, and if the MWC doesn't make improvements soon, why should we play six games a year with these RPI sucking schools?<br />

Basically agree but that is a horrible diss to NM. NM would crush the schools you mention. Two years ago Utah eliminated us from the conf tourney. Some on this board are starting to sound like BaylorFans after thei bbal team had a nice run in the NIT 2 years ago and made the final 8 this year with a ton of help. Now Baylor thinks they are Duke Jr. Let's let this cycle some.

PurpleBlood87

QUOTE(HUT-Frog @ Jun 21 2010, 04:29 PM) [snapback]585109[/snapback]
Link? Obviously the one I had wasn't particularly accurate. (Damn, this thread is becoming embarrassing!!!!! :blush: )

It's the pseudo RPI. But Boyd's World is pretty good. Could you have maybe found the men's basketball RPI, 191 sounds about right.

BOYD'S WORLD

TCU men's basketball is 188 here.

Men's Basketball RPI

jadailyTCU

Yes, the MWC has a few decent programs, but with only six teams there's definitely room for more. I'd really like to have one or two more halfway decent teams in the conference in baseball. Getting Boise, CSU or Wyoming to add the sport would help quite a bit.

I also really like the idea of adding DBU in baseball. Would be pretty easy, too. According to Wikipedia, they're Division II in all sports except baseball, in which they're an independent Division I team. So adding them in baseball only is more than feasible. Sounds like almost a no-brainer to me.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
QUOTE(HUT-Frog @ Jun 21 2010, 04:29 PM) [snapback]585109[/snapback]

I think you meant to say TCU opponents who are not in Texas or Oklahoma and not named Cal State something, nor New Mexico average RPI is 191.

PurpleBlood87

QUOTE(jadailyTCU @ Jun 21 2010, 04:41 PM) [snapback]585115[/snapback]
Yes, the MWC has a few decent programs, but with only six teams there's definitely room for more. I'd really like to have one or two more halfway decent teams in the conference in baseball. Getting Boise, CSU or Wyoming to add the sport would help quite a bit.

I also really like the idea of adding DBU in baseball. Would be pretty easy, too. According to Wikipedia, they're Division II in all sports except baseball, in which they're an independent Division I team. So adding them in baseball only is more than feasible. Sounds like almost a no-brainer to me.

DBU is joining ORU's conference the Summit League next season.

HG73

I don't know much about this, so I'm infinitely qualified to offer my opinion. How many schools would the MWC need to add, three? Gets us to nine schools. Probably less complicated if we added schools that don't play football such as DBU or maybe UTA. Would schools like these with small athletic budgets be able to afford the travel associated with the MWC?

PurpleBlood87

QUOTE(HG73 @ Jun 22 2010, 09:50 AM) [snapback]585734[/snapback]
I don't know much about this, so I'm infinitely qualified to offer my opinion. How many schools would the MWC need to add, three? Gets us to nine schools. Probably less complicated if we added schools that don't play football such as DBU or maybe UTA. Would schools like these with small athletic budgets be able to afford the travel associated with the MWC?

Why would you want DBU and UTA? Just for baseball? Pass.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(PurpleBlood87 @ Jun 22 2010, 10:33 AM) [snapback]585778[/snapback]
Why would you want DBU and UTA? Just for baseball? Pass.

Because both had better RPIs (albeit slightly) than Utah. So did Bakersfield, which is Independent and therefore would be available as a baseball-only member. UTA would probably not be interested anyways, being a member of the Southland.

Sangria Wine

I think you have to first look around the league and take an honest appraisal of the programs.

TCU - breakthrough year in 2010. The road to Omaha gets easier in the future thanks to this squad. We should be in a position to garner a protected seed in the future. This is a top 15 baseball program in the nation.

San Diego State - This program has seemingly forever been an underachiever...not just under Tony Gwynn's watch but for as long as I can remember really. There is absolutely no reason that these guys can't pick it up a notch and become a top 50 program year in and year out. They should use the fact that they are in our conference to help stimulate their own program. They should be in the top 25 discussion more than half of the years.

UNLV - See above comments about San Diego State because they are about the same for these guys. Since Schloss left they went back down a notch. They should be a top 50 program most years if they just take advantage of geographic location for recruiting. They too should be attaching themselves to our program. They should be in the top 25 discussion at least half the time.

BYU - This program was about to turn the corner a few years ago but now they seem to have fallen back just a touch. They have a history of having some pretty good pitchers. With their religious affiliation one would presume that they can build a program that is in the top 75 without too much trouble if they commit to baseball and make a big push.

New Mexico - This program is on their way up. They have a coach that seems to fit their program and he does a really fine job of putting a very competitive squad together. They just need to keep building and keep showing commitment from an administration standpoint. They are totally capable of being a top 75 program and should have years where they are in the top 25.

Air Force - Well, really not much to say. They are going to have a hell of a tough time getting pro prospects there because of the service requirements. We should just accept that they may or may not ever build a program that can be better than top 150.

I am not for adding anybody unless they are a perennial regional team otherwise we are just adding more "potentially good programs" which we already have a stock pile of. We need the conference to make a push at the schools to use our success this season to build their own program up a notch. We need our conference brothers to pick it up a notch across the board...and they have improved significantly over the last few years as a group I believe. Just need to keep it going and building.

I would love to kill the end of year tournament at this point. I hate it. Let's split into two divisions with 3 teams in each and playing your division teams twice and then having an end of year championship series between division winners and play it best 2 out of 3 based on the regular season winner of the one heads up series. Make that our "tournament" and at least get to play the better two teams at the end in an attempt to build RPI. That could even be for our guaranteed spot in the playoffs.

MWC - SOUTH
TCU, New Mexico and San Diego State

MWC - NORTH
BYU, UNLV and Air Force

That break out would provide us 6 games against New Mexico and SDSU and 3 games against BYU, UNLV and Air Force each year with the division winners playing the week of the conference tournaments. That could be fun. More of a major league model really.

The Big West built a heck of a nice conference with just 6 members and then expended when some schools took their program D1. We should just find a way to work with what we have in my opinion. Our league ***COULD*** be built to a position where we get 3 to 4 teams into a regional every year even with just 6 teams. Just takes commitment and the right coach at each school. Only Air Force has a built in reason to fail IMHO.

TCU2002

With Utah out of the MWC, does Houston start to look better as a possible addition to the league?

They play baseball (and have been very strong in the past) and do seem to have something going in football (with a fertile recruiting territory to tap into). They give the MWC more of an anchor in Texas and give the Frogs a nearby travel partner.

I personally find UH to be fairly repellant, but strategically speaking I can see why this move could make sense for the MWC given the current needs. You can say this for UH - they are ambitious. Unfortunately those ambitions may be outsized given their resources, donor base, and paltry fan support. But they show more signs of life than Rice, which seems to be a stagnant athletic department overall.