• The KillerFrogs

PT for Robinson...which is better

Limp Lizard

Just put him in late in blowouts, or when the game is still in doubt. Some coaches like to put their reserve QB in a series about midway in the first and second half to get them into a pressure situation, when the opposing team is not tired or discouraged. I would sure like for Robinson to get some experience when it is not due to an injury. Or in a meaningless mop-up time when all he does is hand the ball off. Or worse yet, if Hill plays poorly. We really need Hill to play well this year.

Westsider

Part of me wants Robinson to play lights out in mop up duty but the other part wants Justin signed and on campus before Robinson lights it up. Then let them both go after it.

tcumaniac

Perfect world, we only see Shawn this year during mop up time.

Thankfully he'll have two games before Ohio State next year.

Wexahu

Part of me wants Robinson to play lights out in mop up duty but the other part wants Justin signed and on campus before Robinson lights it up. Then let them both go after it.

If Robinson comes in and lights it up, whether Rogers signs or not is not going to seem as important. But personally, I think the odds of SR coming in and "lighting it up" are almost slim and none. Playing QB is hard, playing QB as a true freshman is really really hard.

Remember that kid at Georgia who was having trouble completing a pass against our vaunted defense last year? He was a true freshman, 5-star recruit, rated the 5th best overall recruit in the country.....and he really struggled for most of the year playing on a team that even had a really good running game.

I think it would be wise to lower your expectations a bit for what SR can come in and do this year. Playing QB well for a P5 school as an 18 or 19-year old kid is near impossible, very very few kids are able to do it.

jake102

I hope SR just plays in mop-up duty (hopefully the entire 2nd half of Jackson State). Usually I wouldn't want SR to play at all and redshirt, but with Rogers coming in I think we can burn it on non-meaningful snaps

Wexahu

I hope SR just plays in mop-up duty (hopefully the entire 2nd half of Jackson State). Usually I wouldn't want SR to play at all and redshirt, but with Rogers coming in I think we can burn it on non-meaningful snaps

In this day and age you play your best players, period. If a kid is really so good that you hate the thought of burning a year, he's probably going to be gone after 4 years whether you redshirt him or not. I have no idea whether Stansly Mopanga, Josh Boyce or Chris Hackett were good enough to contribute as true freshman but if they were it's too bad because we never got to see their last year of eligibility anyway. If SR wins the backup spot and only plays mop-up duty, so be it. It'll still be good experience.

And I get it, QBs are a little different deal, but the same thing applies. If SR redshirts next year and plays really well the next three years, the likelihood of him staying around for a 5th year is probably pretty slim. With his size, he'll be a very draftable player if he plays well and he'll have most likely graduated too so that will be a factor. In fact, if he isn't considered draftable after his 4th year that means he's had some struggles and we probably have someone from the next 3 recruiting cycles ready to replace him.

The thought seems to be that he being a really good player is some sort of sure thing. Haven't we been that the road enough to know that there is no such thing?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
s-l1000.jpg

tetonfrog

Get SR some reps early in the year. We will need another QB at some point this year. I think Hill will be a lot better this year, but it is doubtful he will stay healthy the whole year. A green frosh starting at QB in Norman or Stillwater could be a nightmare.

4th. down

In this day and age you play your best players, period. If a kid is really so good that you hate the thought of burning a year, he's probably going to be gone after 4 years whether you redshirt him or not. I have no idea whether Stansly Mopanga, Josh Boyce or Chris Hackett were good enough to contribute as true freshman but if they were it's too bad because we never got to see their last year of eligibility anyway. If SR wins the backup spot and only plays mop-up duty, so be it. It'll still be good experience.

And I get it, QBs are a little different deal, but the same thing applies. If SR redshirts next year and plays really well the next three years, the likelihood of him staying around for a 5th year is probably pretty slim. With his size, he'll be a very draftable player if he plays well and he'll have most likely graduated too so that will be a factor. In fact, if he isn't considered draftable after his 4th year that means he's had some struggles and we probably have someone from the next 3 recruiting cycles ready to replace him.

The thought seems to be that he being a really good player is some sort of sure thing. Haven't we been that the road enough to know that there is no such thing?

Right, we had 3 in a row, Mule, Sawyer, and Wooten. It takes a special breed for it to work.

Wexahu

Right, we had 3 in a row, Mule, Sawyer, and Wooten. It takes a special breed for it to work.

Make that 4. Remember Tyler Matthews? He was pretty well thought of coming out of high school too, probably just as much as Sawyer, a borderline 4-star kid. I think he bounced around to 3 different schools trying to find some guys he could beat out, never could do it, and finally gave up.

4th. down

Get SR some reps early in the year. We will need another QB at some point this year. I think Hill will be a lot better this year, but it is doubtful he will stay healthy the whole year. A green frosh starting at QB in Norman or Stillwater could be a nightmare.

"A green frosh starting at QB in Norman or Stillwater could be a nightmare."

Totally agree it could happen. Sonny likes for his starter to get as many game reps. as possible early in the season so that leaves Robinson playing late in the 4th. quarter handing the ball off, if at that. My question is why not 1 full quarter against JS and 1 against SMU?

f_399

If SR comes in during garbage time, I doubt play calling will do him any favors.

He will be out there to mostly run the clock out so he will either hand it off to a RB or run the ball himself.