• The KillerFrogs

Play of the Young Defensive Tackles

FrogLifeYo

As a group....This is best def line we have ever had...I'm not sure it's even close...While we are really good other places IMO 2014 we were better at LB and Safety. We are a really salty defense and we are going to keep giving people a lot of trouble..I'm excited about the future..We are recruiting at a high level and the depth is really showing

W

Way of the Frog

I think he is. Wasn't Townsend a DT? I'll have to go fire up Tecmo Bowl and see...

Played a number of pick-up basketball games with Greg back in the old recreation center. Thought a couple of times I was going to see the rim ripped right off one of those big plywood backboards on the side courts.

Greg was a JUCO AA OLB who was recruited to play that position in the Frogs 3-4 defense and ended up getting put down as a 5 technique. I can't tell you why, injuries, depth etc.. other than playing upright and rushing the passer Greg was lined head up on an offensive tackle that had him by 40 lbs.

He was here a year and a half and then stayed in SoCal after the Christmas break getting ready for the draft. Next thing any of us know Greg is drafted by the Raiders, put at DE on the edge, and becomes a very good NFL pass rusher.

MinFrog

As a group....This is best def line we have ever had...I'm not sure it's even close...While we are really good other places IMO 2014 we were better at LB and Safety. We are a really salty defense and we are going to keep giving people a lot of trouble..I'm excited about the future..We are recruiting at a high level and the depth is really showing
Tap the brakes. Best ever and it isn’t close?

We had some damn stout lines over GPs career and probably before then.

We have half the season left, let’s let it marinate a bit before we start handing ‘best ever’ and it not being close.

MinFrog

I do appreciate the two extremes in this thread.

It’s like being the sensible one in a debate between a repub and a dem. There is quite a bit of common sense middle ground that is libertarians like to live in that neither seems particularly interested in staking claim.

FrogLifeYo

Tap the brakes. Best ever and it isn’t close?

We had some damn stout lines over GPs career and probably before then.

We have half the season left, let’s let it marinate a bit before we start handing ‘best ever’ and it not being close.
Again we are talking about as a group...I stand by my statement..no brakes..Yes we've had some excellent def lines but none with this much power and speed..Just an opinion

I didn't call you any names. I think your opinion is flaming pile of crap though. Also, its "Schobel". You should spend some time learning the correct names of our greatest players.

Spell correct sux on iPhone! We both agree the dline is awesome banogu is a stud. Not sure what the argument is except I hope the become the best ever someone thinks they are right now. I have seen qbs have forever to pass then late sacks. Three man rushes etc.

"Go watch Jerry Hughes and our other great dends then call me an idiot!"

You asked us to call you an idiot. Jerry was/is great, but you're missing a good season for Banogu. He's been fantastic and it's been with speed, power, quickness, technique... the same way Jerry was. They aren't coverage sacks he's getting. However you want to get to the QB Banogu has done it this year. He's all over the opposing back field damn near eavery play. You're an idiot.

Can we say he's as good as Jerry yet? No, b/c he hasn't done it for as long as Jerry. But he's damned good and demonstrating he has all the same tools against better offenses than Jerry faced.

Not missing anything he is great! Just said it isn't our greatest ever right now!

Moose Stuff

Again we are talking about as a group...I stand by my statement..no brakes..Yes we've had some excellent def lines but none with this much power and speed..Just an opinion

Not sure if it's the best or not,but I'm comfortable saying the raw ability, size, and depth is as good as we've ever had. We've got 2 or 3 guys listed as backups that would have started for many of our previous teams.

Last edited:
I hope they stay healthy keep playing this well and become best of all time works for me! Go Frogs I hope we have these debates about every position maybe even tight end one century!

W

Way of the Frog

I am looking for a village right now....

Might I suggest:

th

y2kFrog

I bet Banogu could rival Hughes or Blake as an edge rusher if he had to. Now that we have to face a lot of mobile QB's in the Big 12 spread offenses our DE's play a lot more contain then they used to. As for the DT's they are the best that I can remember in the last 20 years and that includes a long list of very good ones. There is no doubt GP's defense relies on the DT's clogging up the middle of the field and letting the other 9 guys chase down the ball.

TX_Krötenechse

Spell correct sux on iPhone! We both agree the dline is awesome banogu is a stud. Not sure what the argument is except I hope the become the best ever someone thinks they are right now. I have seen qbs have forever to pass then late sacks. Three man rushes etc.
The thing you’re flirting with understanding is that we are using our line in different ways today than we did in Hughes’ or Blake’s day. Ends are asked to contain running QBs, control the edge against running backs, even drop into coverage, much more than they did in years past because we are facing much stouter offenses. You mention the three-man rushes, and there’s been a ton of discussion on the relative scarcity of blitz packages ... it’s all because we have to contain faster, more skilled offenses than we did in the MWC.