• The KillerFrogs

Play of the Young Defensive Tackles

W

Way of the Frog

Noticed multiple times in the first half that Blacklock and Bethley were playing together and doing some very good work inside for the Frog defense.

Ross gotta a few call outs by the broad cast crew and the job these two young men have done inside for the defense really has made a big difference in the unit.

The schedule is about to get tougher and we will need these guys along with the other young defenders to continue the good work.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Way of the Frog

I really think Ross doesn't realize yet just how good he can be as a dominant interior defender.

You can see at times where he just shuts everything down and I think as he continues to develop and mature he could be the best Patterson has had playing inside and make it to the NFL which will help recruiting at the position.

Moose Stuff

You can make a good list of reasons we're a better team..... much improved kicker, steady play from KH, 3rd down success, winning turnover battle in big games, relatively good team health, coaching staff changes..... but the biggest reason for me is the three new faces on the DL Blacklock, Bethley, and Banogu. Staggeringly major upgrade from 2016. Throw in Innis Gaines and that's 4 future NFL players IMO.

Wexahu

You can make a good list of reasons we're a better team..... much improved kicker, steady play from KH, 3rd down success, winning turnover battle in big games, relatively good team health, coaching staff changes..... but the biggest reason for me is the three new faces on the DL Blacklock, Bethley, and Banogu. Staggeringly major upgrade from 2016. Throw in Innis Gaines and that's 4 future NFL players IMO.

The overall depth throughout the defense is better than its ever been IMO. Granted, CB is a little thin but at safety we go 5-6 deep of really good players. DT and safety is where we are so much better.

Punter1

How in the darn did Big Ross redshirt last year???

We've IMO wasted a ton of guys freshman years by playing them when they should have been redshirted...but last year we couldn't stop anyone and we got this monster and he doesn't play??

He's only gonna be here a couple more years max....

Wexahu

How in the darn did Big Ross redshirt last year???

We've IMO wasted a ton of guys freshman years by playing them when they should have been redshirted...but last year we couldn't stop anyone and we got this monster and he doesn't play??

He's only gonna be here a couple more years max....

If he’s a high draft pick in 2019 before his eligibility is up I’d love that. Great recruiting chip. I don’t think he was ready last year, that’s why he was redshirted, but he looks damn good now.

W

Way of the Frog

I will gladly take Big Ross leaving after his junior season if that means he continues to develop into a dominant interior defensive lineman who goes fairly high in the NFL draft.

One of the thing used against TCU in recruiting d-tackles is the lack of Frog d-tackles in the NFL. Funny thing is I want to know have Fitch and Gary are coaching Big Ross to be 6'4" and 325 lbs. Yes, you can work on technique, conditioning, etc. but if there is one defensive position in regards to being an NFL prospect is as much genetic as anything else it is d-tackle.

Agree with Moose and I really think the potential for this defense to get better this year and make even bigger strides next year.

Avery needs to make that move away from the Illini, need to grab another corner, and or a safety or lb.

Wexahu

I will gladly take Big Ross leaving after his junior season if that means he continues to develop into a dominant interior defensive lineman who goes fairly high in the NFL draft.

One of the thing used against TCU in recruiting d-tackles is the lack of Frog d-tackles in the NFL. Funny thing is I want to know have Fitch and Gary are coaching Big Ross to be 6'4" and 325 lbs. Yes, you can work on technique, conditioning, etc. but if there is one defensive position in regards to being an NFL prospect is as much genetic as anything else it is d-tackle.

Agree with Moose and I really think the potential for this defense to get better this year and make even bigger strides next year.

Avery needs to make that move away from the Illini, need to grab another corner, and or a safety or lb.

If Avery loves U of I, hey, I got no issues with that, kids should go where they want to go. But the odds of his coaches being there for 80% of his college career are slim and none. Lovie is a good dude but he’s not a college coach, he’ll be back in the NFL by 2019.

W

Way of the Frog

Don't for a second believe he loves U of I. Hell my family from down the road hate Champaign in February and could care less about anything other than Illini basketball,

Avery has a friend committed, they are pushing that the Big 10 is a big time conference, telling him he will be the centerpiece of their rebuilding defense, and that Lovie can get him ready for the NFL.

ReedFrawg

I agree and would also point out Boesen who has really played well, including the sack and forced fumble yesterday. He has been better than I expected.

FrogLifeYo

F
Still think it’s our best DL ever.
feels like a crazy statement but I don't think your wrong..Certainly the best combination of Size, talent, and depth we ever had. Hope we can keep building up our recruiting in the trenches. It's truly the difference between playing for championships every year and catching lightning in a bottle every 5

Moose Stuff

F

feels like a crazy statement but I don't think your wrong..Certainly the best combination of Size, talent, and depth we ever had. Hope we can keep building up our recruiting in the trenches. It's truly the difference between playing for championships every year and catching lightning in a bottle every 5

And they're all back next year except for Boesen.

W

Way of the Frog

And they're all back next year except for Boesen.

Talking this morning at Church with a friend who is a UT alum and I get to hear about they are building for next year, how everyone better get their lumps in, etc...

I simply ask him if he has watched any of TCU this year and if he has any idea about the amount of talent the Frogs will return next year, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

He, as most college football fans, has no clue about anything other than "his" school and just gives me a blank look. Told him the Horns path to dominance might not be as smooth as they think next season.

I really like the potential we are starting to see from the young defenders.

We are missing two dominant D-ends like Hughes and others! Pressure with four rushers would take our defense to super elite level. Love our dtackles but dends could be better at pass rush and containing the qbs!!!