• Position: QB
  • Hometown: New Canaan, Conn.
  • High School: New Canaan
  • BIOGRAPHY
MICHAEL COLLINS16
  • HEIGHT: 6'5"
  • WEIGHT: 210 lbs
  • YEAR: Freshman
New Canaan: Four-year letterwinner … Served as captain senior season … Three-time state champion (2013-15) … 2015 Finalist for Gatorade and Walter Camp Foundation Player of the Year awards … 2014-15 first-team All-State … 2014-15 first-team All-FCIAC … 2015 Hearst Connecticut Super 33 Team … Walter Camp All-Star … 2015 MSG Varsity All-Connecticut team … Holds Connecticut state record for touchdown passes … High Honor Roll student … Service League member … Volunteered with “Staying Put” an organization which assists elderly members of the New Canaan community.
Personal: Son of Kathy and Richard Collins … Father played football and baseball at Fordham … Enrolled in Wharton.

Last edited:

ScottPatrick

Story on his transfer:

http://www.newcanaannewsonline.com/...star-Collins-transferring-to-TCU-11176508.php

When former New Canaan quarterback Michael Collins informed his high school coach, Lou Marinelli, that he would be transferring from the University of Pennsylvania to TCU this upcoming season, he didn’t exactly get the reaction he was expecting.

“When he first told me, I told him he was crazy,” Marinelli said. “They insinuated he was going to be the guy at Penn. If he didn’t get hurt, he’d be a 30-game starter in the Ivy’s; if you were going to go to the NFL or beyond, you can do it from there, but I think he wanted more of a football experience.”

That’s exactly what Collins wanted.

While he didn’t dislike Penn, Collins wants life at a big-time football school.

“I didn’t want to look back and say, ‘what if I had played at the FBS level?’” Collins said. “That was really it, I wanted more of a football experience than I was getting at Penn and a chance to play against the best competition possible.”

With that, comes competing against high-level talent for a spot. In 2017, TCU returns senior Kenny Hill, and behind him sits impressive freshman Shawn Robinson—an early enrollee who has wowed coaches at spring practices.

It’s no secret that it will be an uphill climb for Collins to earn a spot, and while staying at Penn may have been the easier decision, he’d rather challenge himself than rest on his laurels.

“I knew I was going to have to compete wherever I went, and at Penn I would be able to probably start,” Collins said. “But I could have gotten injured there and my football career would have been over, so I at least wanted to say I took the chance. If I end up sitting behind somebody so be it, at least I went for it.”

Collins leaves next week for Fort Worth, and will be joining a familiar face already in the program. Offensive tackle Lucas Niang, who played at New Canaan with Collins, is penciled in as the starting right tackle for the Horned Frogs.

It was during Niang’s recruitment to TCU that Collins originally was introduced to the program.

“It is special, and they’re special kids,” Marinelli said of having two of his former constituents in the program. “They’ve worked hard to get where they are, Lucas Niang at this point is 6-foot-7, 340 pounds. He’s out running on our field right now, Michael is excited to be with him.”

Collins built a relationship with TCU quarterback coach Sonnie Cumbie—a former walk-on at Texas Tech—and was attracted to the program partially because it runs the same spread-offense he had ran at New Canaan.

In that system, Collins set the state record for touchdown passes in a season with 54, and matched it with nine in one game against Trumbull.

Those numbers could have been even more inflated had he played in the second-half of the majority of contests.

At Penn as a freshman, Collins only threw two passes—both of which he completed.

“Coming up in high school I thought he was capable of playing (at the FBS level), but he never got the big offer that he really wanted,” Marinelli said. “By the time he went to Penn, he was behind (Alek Torgersen), who was All-Ivy and got drafted and he felt he was as good as him. So, he just wanted to go to a big-time school and see how he does.

“He knows he’s going to have to compete.”

aparelli@bcnnew.com @reportedbytheAP

jack the frog

It'd be pretty funny if this kid turned out to be really, really good.

3 time high school state champion. Also, lower level competition does not change the quality of your throws. He is dropping the Go and Out passes right over the shoulder pads into cupped hands all day long in that highlight video. Nice to dream.