• The KillerFrogs

PAC commissioner voted authority to expand conference

BABYFACE

Too many of you Frogs from the 70's cannot get out of the " glass is half empty mentality". What else does TCU have to do to show they are for real and legitimate top 10 CFB program? Quit selling TCU short and show some confidence in your university.

Portland Frog

QUOTE(BABYFACE @ Jun 6 2010, 10:59 PM) [snapback]569716[/snapback]
If the BCS stays intact, then the MWC will probably earn a bid IMO. This realignment has nothing to do with the BCS. This is all about conference TV contracts. I think some of y'all are getting that mixed up with the BCS. Now, if the BCS goes bye bye, then it is pure speculation on how the post season will play out in FB.,

I hope you are right. I hope there is no correlation between the two.

BABYFACE

QUOTE(RSF @ Jun 6 2010, 06:02 PM) [snapback]569718[/snapback]
If one or more conferences bites the dust (Big East/Big 12), I think it will result in the addition of the MWC (or some new hybrid conference in the western US) being included in the BCS. Because by including them, it will alleviate the political pressure without having to split the financial pie into additional pieces, while including the schools from the outside that are ultimately the ones causing all the problems right now (the MWC big 3 plus Boise)..

Exactly, you get it. Why some are falling to see this is puzzling to me. I am of the opinion if the big 12 dissolves, TCU and the MWC will benefit from this.

BABYFACE

QUOTE(Portland Frog @ Jun 6 2010, 06:04 PM) [snapback]569722[/snapback]
I hope you are right. I hope there is no correlation between the two.

There is none at this point. However, if the BCS does go bye bye, then the big screw could come.

macaroni

QUOTE(Portland Frog @ Jun 6 2010, 05:00 PM) [snapback]569717[/snapback]
There may be nothing TCU can do if the BCS becomes four, 16 team super conferences.

I know that this is a popular scenario for cfb fans dreaming of an eventual playoff, but I'm not sure it will necessarily end up this way. The current round of re-alignment is about t.v. contracts, and in this regard not all conferences are equal. The SEC is locked into an ESPN deal, so they do not have the incentive to expand that the Big 10 and Pac 10 do. And if the Big East and ACC get raided again, they would be really hard pushed to hobble together 16 teams worth anything. This could play out in lots of different ways, but since it's about money rather than setting up a neat, effective system it may not end up all neat and tidy.

Dogfrog

In a list of college athletic budgets from 2007, TCU was ranked 59, ahead of 9 BCS schools, and we were the only non BCS school among the top 64.

gdu

QUOTE(FriskyFrog @ Jun 6 2010, 11:08 PM) [snapback]569727[/snapback]
I know that this is a popular scenario for cfb fans dreaming of an eventual playoff, but I'm not sure it will necessarily end up this way. The current round of re-alignment is about t.v. contracts, and in this regard not all conferences are equal. The SEC is locked into an ESPN deal, so they do not have the incentive to expand that the Big 10 and Pac 10 do. And if the Big East and ACC get raided again, they would be really hard pushed to hobble together 16 teams worth anything. This could play out in lots of different ways, but since it's about money rather than setting up a neat, effective system it may not end up all neat and tidy.

Really? Then why does their contract have a renegotiation clause for expansion?

jadailyTCU

QUOTE(tcugdu @ Jun 6 2010, 06:41 PM) [snapback]569745[/snapback]
Really? Then why does their contract have a renegotiation clause for expansion?

"Ability to expand" and "incentive to expand" aren't the same thing. The SEC will expand whenever it wants, to keep up with the advent of 16-team superconferences, and ESPN will be all too happy to accommodate them. But unless it feels like it's in danger of getting left behind, there's no incentive to expand, as the ESPN/SEC Network contract keeps the member schools rolling in the dough as it is.

[quote name='BABYFACE'

Too many of you Frogs from the 70's cannot get out of the " glass is half empty mentality". What else does TCU have to do to show they are for real and legitimate top 10 CFB program? Quit selling TCU short and show some confidence in your university.

[/quote]

AMEN! +1

gdu

QUOTE(jadailyTCU @ Jun 7 2010, 12:00 AM) [snapback]569751[/snapback]
"Ability to expand" and "incentive to expand" aren't the same thing. The SEC will expand whenever it wants, to keep up with the advent of 16-team superconferences, and ESPN will be all too happy to accommodate them. But unless it feels like it's in danger of getting left behind, there's no incentive to expand, as the ESPN/SEC Network contract keeps the member schools rolling in the dough as it is.

Th incentive for the SEC to expand will be the exact same incentive every other conference has: more tv dollars. I don't think they would renegotiate with ESPN to get less $ per school.

gdu

QUOTE(BABYFACE @ Jun 6 2010, 11:03 PM) [snapback]569720[/snapback]

I wasn't even alive in the 70s, but nobody in power has done anything to show that being a real and legitimate top 10 CFB will matter when this landscape shift happens. This is about money, not merit, unfortunately.

Frog75

QUOTE(Dogfrog @ Jun 6 2010, 05:51 PM) [snapback]569708[/snapback]
Personally, I think there is a slim chance that if A&M and UT were gone, and SEC wanted to expand to 16 and bring their brand to Texas, TCU could be considered. Not because of what we bring to the table, just because they see a financial benefit in the Texas market and TCU is a strong athletic program..

Hate to say this, but they would likely take Houston. over us

gdu

QUOTE(Frog75 @ Jun 7 2010, 02:57 AM) [snapback]569936[/snapback]
Hate to say this, but they would likely take Houston. over us

No, they wouldn't.

Frog75

QUOTE(Portland Frog @ Jun 6 2010, 05:24 PM) [snapback]569688[/snapback]
You are probably right. That would be our only chance for the BCS: Increased pressure by those few current BCS teams that would be on the outside looking in with the new 4 conference, 16 team scenario.

If there are 4 -16 team conferences, the BCS will cease to exists

Portland Frog

QUOTE(Frog75 @ Jun 7 2010, 03:09 AM) [snapback]569949[/snapback]
If there are 4 -16 team conferences, the BCS will cease to exists

If it does cease to exist, that doesn't mean it will be replaced with a system that gives those outside the 64 teams in these conferences equal footing.