• The KillerFrogs

OT - what is the longest you have waited or would wait for BBQ?

Chongo94

Was watching a show last night or the other day and they profiled Franklin’s down in Austin. Showed the ridiculous line that is there everyday.

I can’t do lines like that just for food. Concert tickets or something that I knew wasn’t going to be in town, cool. But bbq?...Where you have a zillion other choices (quality comparisons aside)? Heck, for the amount of time one waits at Franklin’s, you could have driven down to Lockhart for all of those.

It just got me wondering is all. What is the longest you have ever waited (willingly) or would wait for restaurant food?

BABYFACE

Would love to try Franklin’s but not willing on that kind of wait.

Still want to try Louie Mueller in Taylor and John Mueller in Austin. Also, need to try Luling City Market.

SwissArmyFrog

Depends.

If I'm on vacation and going to a restaurant I really wanted try and might never get to again, I'd wait an hour or two.

For a local place/BBQ that has a great reputation, I might wait an hour - once, just to try it - and then pass in the future if the wait is 15 minutes or more. I've eaten at a number of BBQ restaurants in my area, and none of them is head and shoulders above the others, so a long-ish wait would just be a time-waster.

When In-n-Out came to Texas, I visited one just after the initial 2-hour-wait mania subsided, waiting in the drive-through for about 45 minutes. I didn't have anything better to do that afternoon and thought, "Ahhh, why not?" It was a very good burger, so I was ambivalent about the wait, but not it wasn't so good that I visited again before the lines settled down to a normal level.

Eight

will commonly do 30 minutes at cork screw and have done 30 minutes at killen's

the wait at franklin's to me is just plain ridiculous and as swissarmy points out there are far too many quality barbecue options to sit around and wait for an extended period of time unless i am picking up for certain situation.

Chongo94

you guys crack me up with your OT subjects about food. lol.

internet.gif

Chongo94

Depends.

If I'm on vacation and going to a restaurant I really wanted try and might never get to again, I'd wait an hour or two.

For a local place/BBQ that has a great reputation, I might wait an hour - once, just to try it - and then pass in the future if the wait is 15 minutes or more. I've eaten at a number of BBQ restaurants in my area, and none of them is head and shoulders above the others, so a long-ish wait would just be a time-waster.

When In-n-Out came to Texas, I visited one just after the initial 2-hour-wait mania subsided, waiting in the drive-through for about 45 minutes. I didn't have anything better to do that afternoon and thought, "Ahhh, why not?" It was a very good burger, so I was ambivalent about the wait, but not it wasn't so good that I visited again before the lines settled down to a normal level.

I think this is how I normally am. Once, maybe, for the initial visit and that’s it. 45 minutes is really my limit but I can stretch that if absolute need be.

Mean Purple

For some place that is billed as really good. 20 minutes max for something where you stand in line and order at the counter. If there is a waiter involved, 30 minutes.

Thing is, there are too many bbq spots with bbq as good as Franklins. If I am going to Austin, I can take the toll out near Hutto, jolt east a bit, and get much quicker service and better bbq at Louie Mueller.

In the end, if I am going to wait, it will be for a steak that is well prepared, while I sit at a table relaxed with a drink in hand.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Franklin’s also cuts the line off when they know they’ll run out of food. So basically, there isn’t a time where you don’t wait a ridiculously long period.

Dogfrog

Would love to try Franklin’s but not willing on that kind of wait.

Still want to try Louie Mueller in Taylor and John Mueller in Austin. Also, need to try Luling City Market.

I know you are referring here to City Market in Luling, TX (which is great) but for those who aren’t aware, don’t be fooled by the name of a bbq place in Houston called Luling City Market. It has no connection with “the” City Market.