• The KillerFrogs

OT - Trip to Seattle

Horny4TCU

Taking a trip to Seattle in October. I will be there for 8 days. Any advice on what to see and where to go? Also, any hotel recommendations that won't break the bank would be nice...? Anybody, know Boykin on a first name basis and if he has a place to crash?

Chongo94

Taking a trip to Seattle in October. I will be there for 8 days. Any advice on what to see and where to go? Also, any hotel recommendations that won't break the bank would be nice...? Anybody, know Boykin on a first name basis and if he has a place to crash?

LOVE Seattle! It's beautiful and amazing. See it soon before it falls into the sea!

Head down to the sound along Alaskan Way and just walk. See the gum wall but then head to the Olympic Sculpture Park, Centennial Park and others. Also check out Discovery Park, its great. Awesome bars and breweries everywhere up there. Can't go wrong just walking around without a plan honestly. Avoid Starbucks bc that's lame and super touristy and a super long line. I thought the big Ferris wheel at dusk was cool but that's just me.

The Fairmont downtown is really nice but since work paid for it, no idea how much it costs but good location to get places.

Only thing I didn't like were the homeless. They seemed very aggressive up there more so than other places I've been.

dampinwa

Born in and lived in the greater-Seattle area my entire life, I have these "must sees" for visitors when they come visit:
  • Downtown waterfront - shopping/walking/and seafood on one of the piers at Ivar's or Elliot's
  • Pike Place Market - shopping/people-watching/and chowder at Pike Place Chowder
  • The Ballard Locks - watching in amazement and then more seafood nearby at Red Mill (cheap) or Ray's (expensive)
  • Snoqualmie Falls - 30 mile drive to see the falls, and then enjoy a delicious brunch at the Salish Lodge next door
  • Ferry Ride - can walk on to a ferry near the waterfront and travel to Bainbridge Island for sightseeing and island shopping
  • Space Needle - as long as it's not cloudy, it's probably worth the cost to travel up the needle to get a panoramic view of the Sound and the city; actually more cost-effective to time this for a weekend morning and eat brunch at the Needle-restaurant instead of just paying for a trip up the needle for only the view with no meal
Hope this gives you some ideas. If you're a liberal, you'll love the people and the politics. If you're not, God be with you! :)

ScottPatrick

Get out on the islands, our favorite is Whidbey and stay at the Inn at Langley usually. Deception Pass, kayaking on the sound or some salmon fishing are some of the activities,

Definitely Pike's in Seattle and agree the Fairmont is a great place to stay.

LVH

Make sure to wear something that will mark you as a non left leaning or anti anarchist type. They love conservatives there.

On a serious note. Last time I was in Seattle I got sucker punched by black lives matter protestors. They were marching down a street(it was a black lives matter march but I swear 95% of them were white) and I was minding my own business and some guy with a hood and bandana over his mouth ran up to me and asked me "Do black lives matter?" and I just said to leave me alone and kept walking and he sucker punched me in the face and ran away. Thankfully he was pretty scrawny and it didn't really faze me much or hurt much but still. Come on man.

I was there for a week and I swear I saw some kind of political activist march every day I was there. This was back in late January though the week after Trump got elected so many that is why there were so many demonstrations.

I have to go to Seattle every year for work and its OK. I like Portland better. Could never imagine living in Seattle, too expensive, and I have not seen the sun the last 2 years I have been there. Always cold, rainy and windy. Homeless people everywhere that get on your nerves. I swear they must have some kind of pimp operation for the homeless. Drug addicts strung out everywhere. People who [ Finebaum ] and piss in the middle of the sidewalk. You think Las Vegas is bad when it comes to homeless/drug addicts its nothing compared to Seattle.

Brog

Great call on Snoqualmie Falls. Wife is from PNW and have been and eaten several times. It really also depends on if you want to stay n the city or take advantage of the weather and the ability to go hiking in some incredibly beautiful scenery.

Someone told me the gum wall had been cleaned a bit, but I haven't been to in years. There is a French bakery down by the original Starbucks that is great and the chocolate croissants are a must. Agree with Damp that the people watching down in the market place is one of my favorite things to do and you find some truly remarkable things to buy there as well. Wife and kids did a boat trip up into the San Juans for a day and really enjoyed that as they did see the Orcas and some time on a few of the islands.

Saw the gum wall just last year. Still as interesting and repulsive as ever. Enjoyed the original Starbucks, and there's a place right close to it that sells the best MacNCheese in the world.

Frog Wild

Ticket Exchange Pass
Many years ago my son and I were up there and we went to the Chittenden Locks to see the salmon going up stream. It was pretty cool.

Tom Brown

I just got back from that very trip.

All good suggestions on this page.

Alki beach and
Pioneer Square underground tours are good additions.

Obvious Troll

Lived there for a decade.

The boardwalk, the Aquarium, the Sound ferry tour, the Experience Music Project (EMP), the Space needle, Chittenden locks, Alki beach (If you are a road biker, you can ride from Kent to Alki Beach on the green river trail ~25 miles, and enjoy muffins from the Alki bakery, a decent coffee/Americano from Tulleys, and hang out at the beach.

Pike's place market is a great visit for the casual tourist, and it includes the original Starbucks, plenty of fish, flower and craft merchants, and if you find the right corner, there is/was a fresh mini-donut stand that makes/made hot, fresh, non-diet-friendly mini donuts; plain, powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar.

If you hold over on a weekend, you can ride up to Snoqualmie pass and hike to Franklin Falls, or to the natural Denny Creek Slide. Or if you are really ambitious, a 2000 ft. vertical hike to Lake Melakwa. (4700 ft. elevation). Tiger Mountain is also nearby and open to the public for hiking and off-road biking. For the road biker, the Burke-Gilman trail is outstanding, and it leads to the Woodinville brewery that makes Mac-n-Jacks African Amber Ale.

If you're bringing kids, the Boeing air museum is fantastic as is the Chiluly glass museum and the Pacific Science center.
In spring, up North, the Skagit tulip festival is a must-see.
If you have a valid passport, Vancouver and Victoria BC offer a plethora of experiences, such as the Capilano Suspension bridge.

South of Seattle - Salty's at Redondo beach is a favorite restaurant. Driving out to the Kitsap penninsula or taking a ferry is a good way to see more of the Puget Sound and maybe see a submarine or two.

The Puyallup (WA State Fair) typically runs in September, with plenty of music, attractions, carnival food, etc...

You might want to bring your REI/Columbia/NF rainjacket, socks and sandals, throw in a Starbucks and you'll blend in with the locals.

And if you're there on a rainy weekday, driving from Kent or Renton to Bellevue on 405, you might want to leave a bit early.....

Best wishes for a great time in the PNW.

Tom Brown

Lived there for a decade.

The boardwalk, the Aquarium, the Sound ferry tour, the Experience Music Project (EMP), the Space needle, Chittenden locks, Alki beach (If you are a road biker, you can ride from Kent to Alki Beach on the green river trail ~25 miles, and enjoy muffins from the Alki bakery, a decent coffee/Americano from Tulleys, and hang out at the beach.

Pike's place market is a great visit for the casual tourist, and it includes the original Starbucks, plenty of fish, flower and craft merchants, and if you find the right corner, there is/was a fresh mini-donut stand that makes/made hot, fresh, non-diet-friendly mini donuts; plain, powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar.

If you hold over on a weekend, you can ride up to Snoqualmie pass and hike to Franklin Falls, or to the natural Denny Creek Slide. Or if you are really ambitious, a 2000 ft. vertical hike to Lake Melakwa. (4700 ft. elevation). Tiger Mountain is also nearby and open to the public for hiking and off-road biking. For the road biker, the Burke-Gilman trail is outstanding, and it leads to the Woodinville brewery that makes Mac-n-Jacks African Amber Ale.

If you're bringing kids, the Boeing air museum is fantastic as is the Chiluly glass museum and the Pacific Science center.
In spring, up North, the Skagit tulip festival is a must-see.
If you have a valid passport, Vancouver and Victoria BC offer a plethora of experiences, such as the Capilano Suspension bridge.

South of Seattle - Salty's at Redondo beach is a favorite restaurant. Driving out to the Kitsap penninsula or taking a ferry is a good way to see more of the Puget Sound and maybe see a submarine or two.

The Puyallup (WA State Fair) typically runs in September, with plenty of music, attractions, carnival food, etc...

You might want to bring your REI/Columbia/NF rainjacket, socks and sandals, throw in a Starbucks and you'll blend in with the locals.

And if you're there on a rainy weekday, driving from Kent or Renton to Bellevue on 405, you might want to leave a bit early.....

Best wishes for a great time in the PNW.

The EMP is now Museum of Pop, there is a cool Jim Henson exhibit there now.

Dogfrog

Prefer Vancouver but did this trip last summer. Good advice above. Elliott's seafood sit outside weather permitting. Stayed at Grand Hyatt. Wife and I took a bicycle tour downtown the first morning and it was a great way to see the city, get your bearings and plan the rest of your time there. Seattle Cycling Tours - near convention center downtown - owner and tour guide is a great guy and knows every detail about the city and history. http://www.seattle-cycling-tours.com/

Also we took the train from the airport into a center city terminal two blocks from our hotel. Something dumb and touristy but fun is the Seattle Underground / comedy tour. Seattles oldest bar near there is Merchants cafe and saloon in Pioneer Square. Little downstairs bar was in original underground. Bainbridge Ferry worthwhile but don't expect much in Bainbridge IMO. Just grab a beer somewhere close to the docks and come back. Also took a boat tour that traveled through the locks. Bar on board.