• The KillerFrogs

OT: people complaining about weather

P

purplePPO

Growing up in Texas playing a lot of golf and primarily being outdoors most of my working career. The heat in Texas is something I have been used to but as I've gotten older the heat is tougher to deal with than it was years ago. It would be nice to have a cool low humidity 60's degree day all year around. What place on earth or here in the U.S. can I/we go for that?
Go Frogs!

Ron Swanson

I think it was the weatherman that set me on a rant.
He stated "everyone just needs to stay indoors today, from noon'ish until around 6"
That kind of set me off, he was acting like it was Armageddon time.

I played golf from 2:00-6:00 today... hot as balls but if you wear dri-fit/performance shirts and shorts, it's not too bad.

I wore normal khaki shorts today though and was rocking a serious jungle-grundle by hole 3.

GlendarrochFrog

I played golf from 2:00-6:00 today... hot as balls but if you wear dri-fit/performance shirts and shorts, it's not too bad.

I wore normal khaki shorts today though and was rocking a serious jungle-grundle by hole 3.
So much scoreboard in that post. First he played golf today and second he has dry fit clothes.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I used to work summers during my TCU years at the Shell refinery in lovely Deer Park, TX. I got do used to the heat and humidity (and nasty smelling air) that the AC at home felt freezing. When we got shipped up here my wife who is Cajun and never lived north of I-10 nearly froze to death. But like anything else, you have to get out into it to acclimate. I still have to laugh when they talk about keeping pets inside when it hits the high 80s...

Wexahu

I had a poop-brown 1983 Mustang with no A/C all through my TCU years. Including working summers as a runner for law firms in the old TeamBank building downtown. Driving all over D/FW in the summer in a car with no A/C was brutal. They were re-surfacing I30 at that time. Sitting on new pavement in a car with no A/C between Fort Worth and Dallas in August is one of the circles of hell.

I too had a car with no AC during my high school years and the first couple years at TCU. Don't know how I did it. I remember routinely running red lights just so I didn't have to sit there for a minute or two and bake. Probably had the crappiest car on campus but it got decent mileage and got me where I needed to be.

Purp

Growing up in Texas playing a lot of golf and primarily being outdoors most of my working career. The heat in Texas is something I have been used to but as I've gotten older the heat is tougher to deal with than it was years ago. It would be nice to have a cool low humidity 60's degree day all year around. What place on earth or here in the U.S. can I/we go for that?
Go Frogs!
San Diego

sketchy

It would be nice to have a cool low humidity 60's degree day all year around. What place on earth or here in the U.S. can I/we go for that?
Go Frogs!

70's would be a little sweeter, but, nothing wrong with 60's.

Guess I feel a little hypocritical for bitching about hot weather crybabies.......since I utterly despise temps below 30.
I'll initiate that [ hundin] post until mid-football season.:D

MTfrog5

Love getting on GolfNow during the summer and playing courses for $20 just because it's an afternoon tee time.

Ron Swanson

That's completely bassackwards. You can only take off so much to be cooler. You can keep putting extra stuff on to get warm. Besides, it doesn't get THAT cold in North Central Texas, ever.
Agree

I don't mind hot weather, but realtor frog's logic couldn't be more wrong.

I could've been naked on the golf course yesterday and it still would've been hotter than ship. If it's 55, you can wear a fleece and shorts and be completely comfortable.

Holy crap you would rather it be 100 than say 50? Hell no, not for me Wear a thin jacket and that weather is perfect. I do hate the extreme cold though.

Much prefer 90 to 15 and 105 to zero. Hottest I've been on 115 which I'm sure is much better than -15.

I hate cold weather. Anything under 50 and I'm staying inside. Allergies are my only problem with summer.

Realtorfrog

Agree

I don't mind hot weather, but realtor frog's logic couldn't be more wrong.

I could've been naked on the golf course yesterday and it still would've been hotter than ship. If it's 55, you can wear a fleece and shorts and be completely comfortable.

I mowed and grilled and enjoyed yesterday immensely in shorts and a tshirt. A little sweat is good for you! Only downside...... stupid mosquitoes!!

If it's 55 I'd have on pants and a heavy coat and still complaining about the cold.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Go Frogs!

Juneau...

westtexfrog

I was working for my grandfather in the summer of '79 in sweltering heat, he was 78 at the time. We were stacking hay in the barn and he looked at me and said the worst invention of all time was air conditioning. He said it made us "soft". LOL He lived to be 97 years old.

FrogAbroad

I was working for my grandfather in the summer of '79 in sweltering heat, he was 78 at the time. We were stacking hay in the barn and he looked at me and said the worst invention of all time was air conditioning. He said it made us "soft". LOL He lived to be 97 years old.

Those were "hot times," alright. For me, personally, the Summer of 1980 was by far the worst.

I remember that summer well. I was riding for Will Speck, the owner of the Draggin'-S brand down northeast of Bandera. The grass was brown and dry and brittle...Mr. Will told all us hands he wanted no smokes outside the ranch house so's to lower the chance of a sudden fire. Lots of the boys took up chewin' because of that "no smokes" rule, but it didn't last too long because we were all too dry to spit.

Anyway, one really hot, hot day I was ridin' the fence to patch up any breaks the stock caused from trying to get into the next field to look for moisture. It was miserable with hardly any shade except for this one old tree leaning out over the creek, which was now nothing but a dry creek bed. So I ease my horse--a pretty little mare called Dynamite Chica 'cause she was little but could blow up mighty big under a careless rider--I ease Chica down into the dry creek bed and we stop under the shade of that one tree. Well, I dismount and loosen the cinch to give Chica a bit of breathin' room and lean back against the rocky sides of that creek bed to wipe what little sweat I could produce from out of my hat. There were the usual noises out there, 'way off from town--the wind blowing through dry grass and leafless tree limbs, the whirring whine of the cicadas, all those were normal, but...there was something else I couldn't quite place. It was like something scraping on hard ground or rock, sort of metallic-like.

So bein' naturally curious I start looking around for what's making that noise. I figured at first maybe an old tin can was blowing around in the breeze, but the sound was from down low, in the creek bed, where there wasn't much wind. I keep looking and finally I saw it...something that literally made my jaw drop.

Comin' right down the middle of that rocky creek bed was one of those green and yellow and black striped lizards. And the scrapin' sound was sure enough metal on rock, 'cause that lizard was draggin' a canteen.

Yeah...that Texas summer of 1980 was sure enough one to remember.