• The KillerFrogs

OT - Need the Board's input on FW private schools

Ray Finkle

First things first, you have to have parents that care. You can throw all the tax money at a public school that you want, shrink the class sizes, and create a positive learning environment for 8 hours. After that, you have no control. Parents who care about their kids' behavior and academic success is crucial--be it a private or public school.

Asian Americans are the wealthiest group in this country. It's because culturally, they view academics as crucial to their future. The parents who immigrate here may not speak or read much English but the parents will sit and watch their kids do their homework.

Next piece--some of these private schools work the dog piss out of their students and overload them with work. No parent wants to pay $20K/year and have their child not coming home without homework. Be careful here. Kids get burned-out. High school doesn't mean anything in the game of life. College is where it counts. One of the smartest people in my graduating class--Duke Talent Identification Program, etc. is a curator at an art museum. She worked her butt off from elementary school on and literally got burned-out in college when it came to academics.

A well-rounded kid is what we need. They need to play sports, do theater (if that's their thing), or have a part-time job. If your kid is a super genius--you'll know from testing by the schools--and their goal is an Ivy, support their decision to pursue academics. However for most normal people, make sure your kid can read and write and overcome the challenges of math (challenged me in high school). They need to learn time management and they get this from extracurricular activities. That's what they need for college. We had a National Merit Scholar in my fraternity shoot buckshot his first semester. He withdrew before the 0.0 posted. Kid was smart but couldn't manage his time.

Good luck on your search!

Realtorfrog

First things first, you have to have parents that care. You can throw all the tax money at a public school that you want, shrink the class sizes, and create a positive learning environment for 8 hours. After that, you have no control. Parents who care about their kids' behavior and academic success is crucial--be it a private or public school.

Asian Americans are the wealthiest group in this country. It's because culturally, they view academics as crucial to their future. The parents who immigrate here may not speak or read much English but the parents will sit and watch their kids do their homework.

Next piece--some of these private schools work the dog piss out of their students and overload them with work. No parent wants to pay $20K/year and have their child not coming home without homework. Be careful here. Kids get burned-out. High school doesn't mean anything in the game of life. College is where it counts. One of the smartest people in my graduating class--Duke Talent Identification Program, etc. is a curator at an art museum. She worked her butt off from elementary school on and literally got burned-out in college when it came to academics.

A well-rounded kid is what we need. They need to play sports, do theater (if that's their thing), or have a part-time job. If your kid is a super genius--you'll know from testing by the schools--and their goal is an Ivy, support their decision to pursue academics. However for most normal people, make sure your kid can read and write and overcome the challenges of math (challenged me in high school). They need to learn time management and they get this from extracurricular activities. That's what they need for college. We had a National Merit Scholar in my fraternity shoot buckshot his first semester. He withdrew before the 0.0 posted. Kid was smart but couldn't manage his time.

Good luck on your search!

Exactly why Tanglewood (and some others) is where it is...... parents are involved. Their auction raises over $100,000 for the school. But to be involved means you have to have either a flexible schedule or stay at home which is the reason the nicer areas of town typically have "better" schools

DMFWTX

Another for Covenant Classical School. We have two attending. We were very impressed with the curriculum and I'm blown away watching the seniors present and defend their senior thesis.

toad horny

Every private school in Ft Worth will happily tell you where the seniors in their latest class (and previous classes) 1) were accepted and 2) for most where they decided to attend.

Not sure what you consider "a large percentage" or "a lot" either, but I think you will both find that you are mistaken. There are kids going to some of the schools you just mentioned but its far from the majority. And if you removed kids that are getting full rides for academics and athletics, it is even smaller. Also, there are a ton of smaller, prestigious Universities in the list every year at FWCD, TVS, All Saints, etc.

Go drive by the upper school circle at FWCD or by the High School entrance at TVS and you will the signs for where the seniors are going this time of year.

My wife went to All Saints for 1 year in middle school. We get the magazines- including the end of year one that identifies all graduating seniors & where they were going to college. In addition, we have several friends at TVS & CDS. I'll stand by my comment.

YA

Local private schooling is so bourgeoisie. No input on that topic from me. Waiting for the boarding school thread to contribute.
McCalle School here. I started at 14. Interestingly enough there have been plenty of folks that attended TCU. Including one incoming freshman this year.

flyfishingfrog

My wife went to All Saints for 1 year in middle school. We get the magazines- including the end of year one that identifies all graduating seniors & where they were going to college. In addition, we have several friends at TVS & CDS. I'll stand by my comment.
Ok, feel free to

Facts are easy to ignore

flyfishingfrog

Thanks, Deep

well unless you are counting UT and A&M in the "lower tier schools that are easy to get in" - then if you think a lot of kids from private schools in ft worth are going to the others outside of those receiving full ride or high percentage of tuition scholarships (some athletic, some academic) - then you are ignoring facts.

Its not a hard concept. I don't follow All Saints since I am not involved there in anyway - but the two I am involved in would have less kids than I can count on my hands once you remove UT/A&M/Full/high percentage Scholarship recipients from list of those enrolling at state schools in Texas. And even with those kids included, its still less than 1/3 rd from my count.

I guess if you want to consider a kid who gets into UT/A&M and decides to go or one that enrolls in a school that gave them a scholarship that made attending free or close to it a failure or a bad ROI for their education - its your choice.

Of the remaining, at least two of those are going to SHSU because they want to be teachers. wouldn't be my choice but its hard to ignore how good their education program is. No idea on the others because we haven't done the annual review regarding graduates yet since the school year is still going.

As I said before - if you want to really understand the what and why of each option and school - you have to ask questions and see for yourself, not just read the brochure and listen to what "others" tell you.

flyfishingfrog

Thanks, Deep

You clearly are the utmost authority on this subject. We all defer to your infinite wisdom. Everyone else is clearly inferior and wrong.
not really - I just bother to actually research it for myself and not just make broad statements without any actual knowledge of the situation.

Sorry if being informed before voicing an opinion bothers you.

toad horny

not really - I just bother to actually research it for myself and not just make broad statements without any actual knowledge of the situation.

Sorry if being informed before voicing an opinion bothers you.

10% or more of a class where parents pay $20k a year is not a lot? Ok. That number is larger if you include out of state public schools that are not difficult to get into & who actively recruit out of state students. My point was that a surprising large number (aka "a lot") of private school kids end up at schools that anyone could easily get into with plenty of scholarships. Sorry if your money was wasted.

flyfishingfrog

10% or more of a class where parents pay $20k a year is not a lot? Ok. That number is larger if you include out of state public schools that are not difficult to get into & who actively recruit out of state students. My point was that a surprising large number (aka "a lot") of private school kids end up at schools that anyone could easily get into with plenty of scholarships. Sorry if your money was wasted.
So once again - talking out your ass when you no idea what you are talking about

5 or 6 kids from over 200 across 2 schools is not close to 10% and like i said - some of them chose schools like Sam for education or University of North Texas for music because they have good programs - that doesn't make it a bad decision or a let down

And do you know the circumstances of the kids that picked SEC state schools? Like the kid that got accepted to with a full ride to the Alabama Aeronautics Engineering program?

Or did you just see "big state school" and think he must be a let down?

Or how about the girl going to Florida? Just an easy SEC big state school - other than the fact that she got a soccer scholarship to play for a top 10 team.

Trust me, I didnt waste my money - my family did a lot of research and made a well informed decision about every child and grand child in my family based on the individual kid - the ones going to private and the ones going to public.

Plus frankly, I can afford it so I don't have to let the cost factor into the decision - just what's best for my grandchild.

toad horny

Buyer's remorse - awesome. My numbers are accurate no matter how you try to justify. The point is that frankly the ROI for a lot of parents is pretty poor on private schools when public school kids get into the same schools or better with more scholarship dollars for less investment. That's a terrible ROI (Return On Investment). Clearly you feel the need for a lot of justification. I do not. My kids, my wife, me & multiple generations of family went to public schools & ended up in the same colleges or better than private school counterparts. The trends continue; irregardless of your spin. Please continue to flush your "ample" dollars down the proverbial drain. I'm sure one day it will pay off. I'm done with you, "rich" guy. Deep has nothing on you.

BABYFACE

Mentioned in thread earlier by RealtorFrog:

The 2nd HS in Aledo is not being built yet and do not know when that will happen(3,5 or 8 years), but it will happen at some point. That 2nd HS was part of the original Walsh development. Things have changed. If Liver Lips sees this thread and he could chime in. I believe he has the inside scoop on what's coming down the pike.

What is being built is a new elementary school.

Realtorfrog

Mentioned in thread earlier by RealtorFrog:

The 2nd HS in Aledo is not being built yet and do not know when that will happen(3,5 or 8 years), but it will happen at some point. That 2nd HS was part of the original Walsh development. Things have changed. If Liver Lips sees this thread and he could chime in. I believe he has the inside scoop on what's coming down the pike.

What is being built is a new elementary school.

I apologize...... you are correct, Walsh Elementary is set to open this fall. The development has been pushed back so much that I would imagine with the number of interested clients in Walsh and the other new developments that will feed into this school that it will be 2019 before the high school is open.

Pharm Frog

Once upon a time I was as involved in the P&Z issues in and around Aledo including forecasting of infrastructure needs and impact fees as someone could be. Though conditions change, it was always my belief that a second high school in AISD would not happen in my lifetime.

When I read in this thread that a second high school was imminent, I made a couple of calls. My belief has not changed.