• The KillerFrogs

OT - June Foray

Limp Lizard

Yeah, but that one sponsor paid big bucks for the exclusivity.

Go Frogs!
Back then there was only one sponsor per show for nearly all the shows. Milton Berle had Texaco. What's My Line had Lucky Strike. I think. But no extra bucks for exclusivity. That's just the way things were.

Frog DJ

Yeah Limp - bad choice of words on my part. I should have said something like "brand sponsor," but it was a premium price (at least according to my RTF prof).

In the earliest days of TV the commercials were often performed live in an adjacent studio, and were subject to flubbed or forgotten lines by the actors.

I'm not quite old enough to remember single commercial "What's My Line" episodes, but some of the old kinescopes are on YouTube, with the spots still in place.

Fascinating to watch now.

Go Frogs!

FrogAbroad

Back then there was only one sponsor per show for nearly all the shows. Milton Berle had Texaco. What's My Line had Lucky Strike. I think. But no extra bucks for exclusivity. That's just the way things were.

For a time a WML sponsor was Stopette, the first (or very nearly so) spray underarm deodorant.

Limp Lizard

Loose strap means floppy [ teat ]?
Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco.
By the way, I think Lucky Strike was for Jack Benny and Your Hit Parade. Whats My Line had others. I've Got a Secret had Bufferin and Winston. Really missed on Lucky Strike, though.:oops: But: Winston tastes good like a (clap-clap) cigarette should!:cool:

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco.
By the way, I think Lucky Strike was for Jack Benny and Your Hit Parade. Whats My Line had others. I've Got a Secret had Bufferin and Winston. Really missed on Lucky Strike, though.:oops: But: Winston tastes good like a (clap-clap) cigarette should!:cool:

I remember that ad campaign quite well. My definition was the one us immature boys used.

Froginbedford

Yeah Limp - bad choice of words on my part. I should have said something like "brand sponsor," but it was a premium price (at least according to my RTF prof).

In the earliest days of TV the commercials were often performed live in an adjacent studio, and were subject to flubbed or forgotten lines by the actors.

I'm not quite old enough to remember single commercial "What's My Line" episodes, but some of the old kinescopes are on YouTube, with the spots still in place.

Fascinating to watch now.

Go Frogs!

They are also on a cable outlet...along with "I've Got a Secret" and "To Tell the Truth"....complete with commercials....Gary Moore chain-smoking on set in "I've Got a Secret"....

Limp Lizard

They are also on a cable outlet...along with "I've Got a Secret" and "To Tell the Truth"....complete with commercials....Gary Moore chain-smoking on set in "I've Got a Secret"....
One of the episodes on YouTube has Moore holding a baby with a cigarette hanging from his mouth. We thought nothing of it back then, but it surprised me how I found it disturbing when I saw it this week. Things change.