• The KillerFrogs

OT: Bourbon Season is Here

LeagueCityFrog

With the big game between TCU and OU coming soon, I figured we could have a thread for what to seasonally drink as we watch TCU hopefully win the Big XII championship over the next four weeks in conjunction with the annual high end bourbon releases. I'm curious what whiskeys or bourbons people like to drink to celebrate a great victory.

What are your favorite bottles?

Mine are in order: Thomas Handy Sazerac, Blanton's, and George T Stagg Sr.

Spec's is usually the place to fin harder bottles in Houston. Total Wine is also great. I've talked to the owner of King's Liquor on Berry Street. He's real nice and helpful and occasionally gets some of these harder bottles to find. I noticed TCU had Orphan Barrel Barterhouse 22 year old at the club sections a couple of weeks ago. That's also an excellent one.

For casual bourbon people, usually about Mid November to the end of December is when these special bourbons that cost usually anywhere from $25 to $125 a shot at a bar or restaurant are released. I like mine over a ball or block of ice.

Go Frogs!

Long Time Lurker

Recently received a bottle of Joseph Magnus as a birthday gift. It is in the 90-100 dollar range. It is finished in Cognac barrels in D.C.
I would not recommend it. It is smooth but lacks character. Blanton’s is one of my favorites.

SnoSki

Any season is bourbon season if you try hard enough.

giphy.gif

Wexahu

Spending $125 on a shot of whiskey is something I don't think I'd ever do, no matter how rich I ever become.

I love bourbon/whiskey, and I'm fine with the cheap stuff. Offer me a Jim Beam and I'll gladly take it, and enjoy it.

Ron Swanson

Any season is bourbon season if you try hard enough.

giphy.gif

Yeah I drink whiskey year round now... generally scotch, but quite a bit of bourbon as well.

Calumet Farms is one of my favorite bourbons. I bought it at Total Wine & More because of the high rating and I really like it. Buffalo Trace is my cheap go-to every day bourbon.

I have a bunch of semi-fancy scotches in my bar, but I constantly go back to The Famous Grouse - Smoky Black. It’s a cheap blend at about $37/handle, and it’s delicious (somewhat similar to a Johnnie Walker Black). I like it more than most all of the single malts I have tried.

Ron Swanson

Last time this topic came up someone recommended Monkey Shoulder. Thanks for that. Really enjoy that one!!
I took that recommendation as well and bought a bottle, but don’t love it. I don’t hate it or anything, but that same bottle is still half-full sitting in my bar.

Sticky_Wicket

Purple Baylor Alum
Well, I'm a sucker for single malt, but if we're talking whiskey I've been dabbling with some Whistle Pig, Hudson Baby, and Buffalo Trace.

In our blind taste test party, Four Roses always surprises.

Cheers!

LeagueCityFrog

Spending $125 on a shot of whiskey is something I don't think I'd ever do, no matter how rich I ever become.

I love bourbon/whiskey, and I'm fine with the cheap stuff. Offer me a Jim Beam and I'll gladly take it, and enjoy it.

Whiskey Cake Bar in Dallas and Houston has Pappy Van Winkle 20 year around $125 a shot.

Prohibition Bar on Dickson Street in Fayetteville this season had a bottle of Blanton's Gold for $38 a shot. It's only available in a couple of international cities like London and Dubai and a couple of foreign duty free shops, but sure enough it was chilling on the shelf after the Arkansas victory. It is excellent too.

LeagueCityFrog

If TCU won the Big XII title or the national championship and you liked Bourbon wouldn't you consider a victory taste with the best bottle that night? Let's hope we win so you're in that situation.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
More of a rum guy, really. But, last night had some fine Whistle Pig. That was right tasty!

In the event that a miracle does indeed come to pass, and we score more points than the other team, I have some 20-year-old Barbados Rum that will get sipped. And a fine stogie that will be dug out of the depths of the humidor for consumption.

dawg

My faves: Four Roses (and Four Roses Single Barrell), Woodford Reserve, and (though not technically a bourbon) Gentleman Jack.

Frog-in-law1995

Evan Williams for now, though they’re starting to advertise, so that sub-$20/handle price is not long for this world. I like pretty much anything, honestly. Canadian stuff isn’t my favorite, I guess. Oh, and I won’t even talk to someone drinking that nastiness known as Southern Comfort.

talor

Like others have said Whistle Pig rye is legit. I've been liking the smooth spicy aspect of it over bourbon lately. My go to is the green labeled Bulleit for under $30.

TCURiggs

Evan Williams for now, though they’re starting to advertise, so that sub-$20/handle price is not long for this world. I like pretty much anything, honestly. Canadian stuff isn’t my favorite, I guess. Oh, and I won’t even talk to someone drinking that nastiness known as Southern Comfort.

Four Roses used to be that cheap for a handle ($20ish), just a couple of years ago. Buffalo Trace was also low $20's for a handle about 5 years ago or so... my brother put me on that. Too good to last forever, I guess.