• The KillerFrogs

OT: Astros advance to World Series

Paint It Purple

[ darn ] the Astros. I am a Rangers fan but I didnt mind the Astros when they had Biggio, Berkman, Bagwell, etc. but this Astros bunch is a bunch of classless thugs. I hope the Dodgers destroy them. They remind me of Baylor a lot under Briles - classless and no humility
I'm a Rangers fan too, but you may need to watch this team (Astros) more to appreciate their talent and yes their class. As for Biggio and Bagwell being the standard to live up to on and off the field, you may want re-think that one. I still have a hard time seeing either one in the HALL.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I'm a Rangers fan too, but you may need to watch this team (Astros) more to appreciate their talent and yes their class. As for Biggio and Bagwell being the standard to live up to on and off the field, you may want re-think that one. I still have a hard time seeing either one in the HALL.

Shouldn't be too hard, just open your eyes and what do you know? There they both are, right smack dab in the beautiful village of Cooperstown...

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I was a fan of the Houston Astros before they were the Astros. It was 1964, I was 8 years old, and the team was then the Houston Colt .45's, whose inaugural season as an expansion team was 1962. My father took my twin brother and me to a game at old Colt Stadium, a tinker-toy structure with wooden bleachers situated where Reliant Stadium is today. The stadium was hot, humid, and infested with thick swarms of mosquitoes. Dad bought my brother and me a matching dark-blue caps with ".45's" embroidered on the front in orange thread.

The next year, 1965, two years after the Manned Spacecraft Center (now the Johnson Space Center) was built in Houston, they opened the Astrodome (under construction since 1962) and renamed the Colt .45's team the Astros. Dad took us to a game during that inaugural season of the Astrodome, which was a huge novelty at the time. The game featured Colonel Keds, the space-age hero-mascot of Keds sneakers, flying in his jet backpack all around the interior of the Dome. Doesn't seem so incredible today, but at the time it was amazing -- especially considering that the apex of the Dome was 18 stories high.

Of course, back then, the Texas Rangers weren't the Texas Rangers. They were the Washington Senators, a perennially underperforming American League franchise from the expansion of 1961. They moved to Arlington and began play as the Texas Rangers in a Minor League stadium in 1972.

Continued to attend Astros games and other events at the Astrodome throughout my youth. In 1969, I attended Houston's "Welcome Home" celebration for the Apollo 11 moon astronauts, hosted by Frank Sinatra. In 1970, I saw Elvis perform live there at the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo. In 1980, I saw Nolan Ryan hit the second and final home run of his career there as a first-year Astros pitcher when Houston was still in the National League. It was a 3-run dinger.

What made that particular HR so amazing was two things:
  • Ryan had been previously pitching for the American League California Angels and hadn't faced a Major League at-bat for 8 years. This was his first at-bat since returning to the National League.
  • At that time, the Astrodome was the largest and longest ballpark in the Majors and had the fewest HRs allowed of any ML park. It was known as the quintessential "pitcher's park."
Memories...

Before they tore down Colt Stadium when it still sat in the corner of the Dome parking lot we'd sneak in after games in the Dome while traffic backed up and run the bases and try and run off with stuff not nailed down like old scoreboard team planks they'd put up in the old manual scoreboard.

When the Strangers still played in Turnpike stadium while I was at TCU we'd go see David Clyde the old Westchester Wildcat pitch before the Rangers ruined his arm. Then he'd come to TCU to see his girlfriend and watch the Frog at the old field.

Moose Stuff

I don’t know about Biggio, but 99.9% chance Bags was a steroid guy. You’ll never convince me otherwise.

OMG!!! So classless!!

Y’all hit our MVP after we lost another one of our best players from a HBP and so our pitcher retaliates. No pitcher has ever retaliated in the history of baseball before... must be a classless organization!!

I’ve actually gotten multiple texts from Rangers buddies saying that they aren’t Stros fans, but this team is fun to watch and they are pulling for us. Your jealousy and bitterness is palpable, and I’m enjoying every minute of it.

Haha...jealousy. I just hate them like any other rival.

It wasn't that he did it but the way he went about it. One, Cashier pounds the ball inside, almost to a fault. Everyone knows this. If those guys are going to go up to the plate and wear body armor they have to accept that they might get hit. Two, that ballpark is a joke and if guys get their arms extended a cheap pop-up turns into a HR. Cashner, prone to fly balls, was, again, pounding fastballs inside. Three, if you're going to retaliate, why wait until two at-bats later? Why not just do it the next time? Four, don't throw a 97 MPH fastball above the waist and behind someone. That's dangerous AF and he's lucky he didn't get suspended for that. Got no problem with throwing at the guy but there's a right way to go about it.

But jealous...that's a big lol.

It’s a good thing the Rangers wouldn’t switch home series with us after the greatest flood in American history happened. They needed that home-field advantage for their stretch playoff run.

#class

The Rangers made a more than generous offer. The timing of it sucked and there was no right or wrong way to approach it. Reid fired off his big mouth first and that fueled an unnecessary controversy. If Nolan were still here and the Rangers did the same thing he would be commended for it. Hell, if it were anyone else in the division no one would have an issue with it.

Ron Swanson

It wasn't that he did it but the way he went about it. One, Cashier pounds the ball inside, almost to a fault. Everyone knows this. If those guys are going to go up to the plate and wear body armor they have to accept that they might get hit. Two, that ballpark is a joke and if guys get their arms extended a cheap pop-up turns into a HR. Cashner, prone to fly balls, was, again, pounding fastballs inside. Three, if you're going to retaliate, why wait until two at-bats later? Why not just do it the next time? Four, don't throw a 97 MPH fastball above the waist and behind someone. That's dangerous AF and he's lucky he didn't get suspended for that. Got no problem with throwing at the guy but there's a right way to go about it.

Jealous people never admit their jealousy.

Horned Toad

You LITERALLY JUST SAID Daniels ran off Nolan.
Not trying to backtrack, just refining my statement in response to your slur against Ryan. Daniels created the crisis with Ryan and ownership pushed him out the door. Daniels did run him off. Not trying to get in a pissing match with you. Another year like this year and Daniels will be gone so that problem (for me, maybe not you) will resolve itself then I will be back to being an active Rangers fan. For now, Go Stros!

Ron Swanson

That's palpable.
Oh, and I will take Minute Maid Park 10 times out of 10 over whatever you guys are calling your ball park now. I don’t particularly like NRG stadium or the Toyota Center, but I absolutely love Minute Maid Park. It is a great baseball venue

The idea that Minute Maid is some joke of a ballpark is just inaccurate. Hell, we average more runs on the road than we do at home. I guess you think Yankee Stadium and Fenway are jokes also?

Frogs1983

The 'Curse of Nolan' coming back to haunt the Texas Rangers. Rangers blew their chance to win the WS with their infamous Game 6 melt down against the Cardinals a few years ago. 'Genius' John Daniels runs off Nolan Ryan in a power play .Rangers aren't anywhere within sniffing distance of getting to another WS anytime soon. Daniels has totally decimated the Rangers farm system as far as any quality starting pitchers helping anytime soon .
Since the Rangers probably will never win a WS in my lifetime, I'll have to settle for another Texas team and pull for the Astros to get it done against LA.
Did I mention that John Daniels is a 'Genius"?

Ron Swanson

I can’t get over what a snowflake you must be to be so butt-hurt about this situation