• The KillerFrogs

OT: 22-year-old woman strangled in apartment near TCU

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs
Got an email today from our local police rep. Nothing new.

Not good at all. My daughter lives a couple of blocks from the incident, and her friends live about 50 yards away. If it were a boyfriend or someone known police probably would have said something by now.

HToady

It's the weirdest. Most times parents or siblings keep it in the news, or tip line established. Nothing at all.
Police FW and TCU, constantly driving through the neighborhood. Not like they are going to catch the perp walking around.
Meanwhile, coeds still jogging alone before sunrise....not smart I guess.
Don't know what to think of it all.....

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Thought by now all area residents would have combed through their exterior home security feeds for unfamiliar people and/or vehicles .

Deep Purple

Not good at all. My daughter lives a couple of blocks from the incident, and her friends live about 50 yards away.
God keep them all safe.

I have no evidence, but I just have a feeling this was a a highly targeted, personal crime.that poses no threat to the general female population around campus. But you never really know. I could be 180 degrees off. Until this case is resolved, all women in the vicinity -- both on-campus and off -- should be wise and take common-sense precautions. And they need protective fathers like you, or friends, to remind them of this.

Working every day on a college campus, I see way too many young adults, both men and women, take foolish risks. Sometimes it really alarms me. Lost count of the number of times I've seen students, with their heads bent down totally absorbed in their smart phones, step right out into the street without even lifting their heads to check the traffic first. Really surprises me that we haven't had a single student struck by a car over the last few years.

Likely due more to the precautions of local drivers transiting the campus than to precautions taken by the students themselves. Many students are completely heedless of the potential danger. The invincibility of youth, I guess. Sometimes, they just need to be protected from themselves.

Last edited:

HToady

Working every day on a college campus, I see way too many young adults, both men and women, take foolish risks. Sometimes it really alarms me. Lost count of the number of times I've seen students, with their heads bent down totally absorbed in their smart phones, step right out into the street without even lifting their heads to check the traffic first. Really surprises me that we haven't had a single student struck by a car over the last few years.

Last night, at a frat party at a house on University, there were numerous, drunk, men and women wandering the streets late. I also observed cars parked in the neighborhood, with the motor running, for long periods of time, with no affiliation to the frat party. I confronted one and was told to "mind my business". Like you said, the college kids are oblivious of others that may be around, such was the case, last night. Fortunately, I didn't see any girls unaccompanied.

lowfrog

The key is to not run or go alone. If you are going to run or walk day or night, wear light-colored/reflective clothing and run with at least one other person or a dog. Not a little dog -- get a German Shepard, a doberman, a boxer, etc., who is at least medium-sized or larger and has the disposition of being sweet most of the time, but is capable of becoming an vicious attack machine when you are attacked. Recently, a woman north of Houston was running on a greenbelt trail in the middle of the day with her big, sweet dog when she was attacked. The dog immediately lit into the big male attacker and chewed him up pretty bad, although the guy did get away. Police took a sample of the guy's blood from the dog's muzzle. They ran the blood sample for DNA, then ran it against the DNA databases. They got a hit, went to visit the guy, and he was arrested.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Last night, at a frat party at a house on University, there were numerous, drunk, men and women wandering the streets late. I also observed cars parked in the neighborhood, with the motor running, for long periods of time, with no affiliation to the frat party. I confronted one and was told to "mind my business". Like you said, the college kids are oblivious of others that may be around, such was the case, last night. Fortunately, I didn't see any girls unaccompanied.
That's when you shoot them in the face.

Or call the cops. Because that is seriously creepy.

frognutz

The key is to not run or go alone. If you are going to run or walk day or night, wear light-colored/reflective clothing and run with at least one other person or a dog. Not a little dog -- get a German Shepard, a doberman, a boxer, etc., who is at least medium-sized or larger and has the disposition of being sweet most of the time, but is capable of becoming an vicious attack machine when you are attacked. Recently, a woman north of Houston was running on a greenbelt trail in the middle of the day with her big, sweet dog when she was attacked. The dog immediately lit into the big male attacker and chewed him up pretty bad, although the guy did get away. Police took a sample of the guy's blood from the dog's muzzle. They ran the blood sample for DNA, then ran it against the DNA databases. They got a hit, went to visit the guy, and he was arrested.

Bought my wife a dog that size for that very reason. However, running with it apparently "messed up her stride" so now the only exercise the dog gets is when I walk it.

HToady

Did the poster that was told to "mind their own business" when approaching the car parked with the engine running (that was apparently watching the college kids leave the party) get the license plate?
No. It was a middle aged woman, I just stood there and yelled at her until she finally drove off. It was one of those things, that I would do different next time.