• The KillerFrogs

Ohio State Home and Home?

TooColdU

This is what's wrong with college football. I was on TCU side about fans buying through TCU for bowl games to make TCU look better but screw that because it's a "business" for fans too. Let's say we make the playoffs that year. We spend $300 bucks at Jerry world and then they expect us to go the the semi finals and championship games? Give me a break it's a business. What a load of crap

College football is a racket.

Really?

As I was saying, this thing was a mutual agreement. If you think our coaches and admin were begging and super excited to play OSU two years in a row I think you're nuts.

I hope we don't play Purdue, SMU and an FCS team in 2019. That'd be embarrassing. But don't be shocked if it happens.

If the coaches were so against it, why did the schedule the home/home in the first place?

Wexahu

If the coaches were so against it, why did the schedule the home/home in the first place?

It was scheduled years in advance. Honestly, when the games were initially scheduled back in October 2012 OSU wasn't really what they are today. They were 6-7 in 2011 and ineligible for a bowl in 2012. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they looked up in 2016 and thought maybe that wasn't such a great idea.

In any event, it worked out financially. I'm just saying, fast forward to now (or really 2015 when talk of making this a one game series started) and we weren't all that excited about playing them twice in back to back years.

Why do people find that so far-fetched? Heck, I think GP regrets playing LSU, he almost admitted as much.

CountryFrog

It was scheduled years in advance. Honestly, when the games were initially scheduled back in October 2012 OSU wasn't really what they are today. They were 6-7 in 2011 and ineligible for a bowl in 2012. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they looked up in 2016 and thought maybe that wasn't such a great idea.

In any event, it worked out financially. I'm just saying, fast forward to now (or really 2015 when talk of making this a one game series started) and we weren't all that excited about playing them twice in back to back years.

Why do people find that so far-fetched? Heck, I think GP regrets playing LSU, he almost admitted as much.

Yea, because if we hadn't played LSU that year then we would've been really awesome with our 10 ppg offense.

While what you're saying may well be true (coaches in general want to win as many games as possible) it's just as likely that OSU wants to downgrade their schedule too for easier wins. Urban Meyer pretty much said it last year.

CountryFrog

The fans are the losers in this obviously, but it's only because we all knew this home and home with OSU was coming up. Just imagine if we had no idea any of that was even a possibility and then all of a sudden there's an announcement that we're playing Ohio St at Jerryworld on national TV for a paycheck bigger than most bowl games. We'd all be pretty excited about that.

I know we can't pretend as if the home and home was never a possibility since it was on the books for years, but the reality is that this is still a really good thing for TCU even if it's very disappointing for all of us who wanted that game at ACS and wanted to go to Columbus.

Wexahu

Yea, because if we hadn't played LSU that year then we would've been really awesome with our 10 ppg offense.

While what you're saying may well be true (coaches in general want to win as many games as possible) it's just as likely that OSU wants to downgrade their schedule too for easier wins. Urban Meyer pretty much said it last year.

I'm paraphrasing here but GP said the team wasn't really wasn't ready to play a team like LSU and that it kind of derailed the entire season. Sort of implied that had we played a cream puff we could've maybe won 4 more games. That's probably just GP going off the rails a bit but still...

I hate that approach but until the pollsters start valuing competitive losses to good teams as more impressive than close wins over crap teams programs like TCU will schedule accordingly. As far as rankings go, it's still better to beat Purdue or Tulsa by 1 than lose to OSU or Alabama by 1.

Chico Dusty

2010 we led off in Jerry World vs a OSU which led to an undefeated season and a claim at the title (don't care what anyone says).

We've had a history with Ohio State without playing them - first that Mr. Rogers/Gordon Gee bad mouthing us and then them taking our spot and title shot from is in 2014. The stars are aligning for sweet sweet revenge.

So here we are 8 years later and we square off with another OSU that will kick off an undefeated season and championship run. It's destiny I say, destiny. It's been a long day, but this make sense in my head.

CountryFrog

I'm paraphrasing here but GP said the team wasn't really wasn't ready to play a team like LSU and that it kind of derailed the entire season. Sort of implied that had we played a cream puff we could've maybe won 4 more games. That's probably just GP going off the rails a bit but still...

I hate that approach but until the pollsters start valuing competitive losses to good teams as more impressive than close wins over crap teams programs like TCU will schedule accordingly. As far as rankings go, it's still better to beat Purdue or Tulsa by 1 than lose to OSU or Alabama by 1.
The second paragraph is definitely true.

And I don't pay attention to a single thing GP ever says publicly. If we'd had a decent OC that year then we probably win that LSU game plus 4 or 5 more. He probably regrets his OC decisions from 2012 & 13 more than any scheduling decisions.

CountryFrog

I don't know why people were looking forward to going to Columbus. From friends of other schools that have played there said they were the worst fans they have ever encountered.
I highly doubt any of the people who were looking forward to going to Columbus were looking forward to it because they wanted to talk to as many great Buckeye fans as they could possibly find.

MTfrog5

I don't know why people were looking forward to going to Columbus. From friends of other schools that have played there said they were the worst fans they have ever encountered.
My granddad went up to watch Texas in 2004. Said outside of the USC game it was the most fun he's ever had at a game. Their fans were throwing rocks at the Texas Exes bus and their fans made winning there so much better. Was going to look hard into going so I could experience that too

Bob Sugar

Maybe CDC is answering Maniac's prayers and did this to devalue season tickets to punish the evil high priority point ticket hoarders.

He is playing chess while the big money donors play checkers.

ifrog

I guess tOSU wasn't ready to play a team like the unranked VT Hokies at home.

tcumaniac

Maybe CDC is answering Maniac's prayers and did this to devalue season tickets to punish the evil high priority point ticket hoarders.

He is playing chess while the big money donors play checkers.

If so, mission accomplished. Fans with extra tickets they were hoping to sell just lost potentially thousands of dollars. Easily would have been a $300 plus ticket for average seats.

Last edited:

tcumaniac

You are too young to be so jaded and bitter.

I've been attending TCU football games for 25 years, and have parents that have been attending TCU games for 40 years. I have more perspective than I'm given credit for.

Having Ohio State play in the Carter was a once in a life time opportunity for TCU that was thrown away for a measly $5 million. In the grand scheme of things, that's a pretty irrelevant amount. So yes. I'm pissed the darn off.

cdsfrog

Whether it's in Fort Worth or Arlington, I am excited to get to see us play Ohio State in person.

Same but tired of being let down on the big games. Let's just stop scheduling them as home in homes. From now on just schedule them as neutral games. Money is the only factor so just upfront.