• The KillerFrogs

NY6 Bowl question?

Planks

Yes, we should be the highest ranked non-cfp Big12 team. What’s confusing this year is whether #2 big 12 gets into a NY6 bowl. Typically we have a contract with the sugar bowl, but that’s a semifinal this year so (without doing any research) I’m not sure how that’s gonna work

The Sugar bowl being a semifinal means that this year, only the Big 12 champion is guaranteed a NY6 spot. No other Big 12 is guaranteed a spot.

Planks

A 10-3 TCU is may not make it to the NY6. 12 teams make the NY6 bowl, but a G5 team takes one of those spots. By rule the committee must fill in the At large NY6 spots with the highest ranked available teams. So the NY6 Bowls will consist of the top 11 ranked schools in the college football poll, plus the highest ranked G5 regardless of where they are ranked. Right now TCU is #12 in the college football poll, which means TCU has to jump one school that’s ahead of them.

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Miami
4. Oklahoma
5. Wisconsin
6. Auburn
7. Georgia
8. Notre Dame
9. Ohio State
10. Penn State
11. USC (Pac 12 champ is guaranteed)
12. TCU

Unfortunately for TCU, this looks like a year where it’s going to be very tough to make it due to the fact that you have an independent in Notre Dame, three SEC schools, and three Big 10 schools all in the top 10. To me, it looks like TCU’s ONLY chance of making it is by jumping a 9-3 Auburn assuming they lose to Alabama, and even then Auburn may still be chosen over TCU. I don’t see any other team ahead of TCU that we could potentially jump. If Auburn beats Alabama, then TCU is 100% out.

Alamo Bowl is the most likely spot for 10-3 TCU. Don’t get your hopes up for NY6.

And If TCU loses to Baylor, we are obviously out unless we then beat OU in the CCG.

Last edited:

mrnicefrog

Don't forget UCF. They are #14 and undefeated.
They'll get a spot, plus Notre Dame.

Then you have 10 spots left for 5 conferences.
I would think 2 per conference, with the exception of maybe the PAC only getting 1 spot. ( So the SEC or BigTen get a third.)

I don't see how you take another third-place team from a conference over the runner-up the big 12.

I didn't mind it so much from a seat perspective. There really isn't a bad seat in that place. It's just the shippy concourse and lack of beer stands.
I was hot as hell in the second half and the phone coverage was non existent. I agree with you that concessions were a huge disappointment as well as the post game problem of trying to find a place to eat/drink

TCUdirtbag

If we are ranked in the top 10 we should be good to get an NY6. Lots of moving parts with contractual obligations, but that should do it. Need to beat Baylor.

If we win the Big 12 Champ game we are guaranteed a NY6 berth.

4 playoff teams
Orange has contractual obligations to ACC/B1G/SEC
Pac Champ is guaranteed a berth
One group of 5 is guaranteed a berth.
So basically of the Fiesta, Cotton and Peach, there are 4 at-large slots that aren’t contractually tied. That’s what we’re shooting for.

MAcFroggy

A 10-3 TCU is may not make it to the NY6. 12 teams make the NY6 bowl, but a G5 team takes one of those spots. By rule the committee must fill in the At large NY6 spots with the highest ranked available teams. So the NY6 Bowls will consist of the top 11 ranked schools in the college football poll, plus the highest ranked G5 regardless of where they are ranked. Right now TCU is #12 in the college football poll, which means TCU has to jump one school that’s ahead of them.

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Miami
4. Oklahoma
5. Wisconsin
6. Auburn
7. Georgia
8. Notre Dame
9. Ohio State
10. Penn State
11. USC (Pac 12 champ is guaranteed)
12. TCU

Unfortunately for TCU, this looks like a year where it’s going to be very tough to make it due to the fact that you have an independent in Notre Dame, three SEC schools, and three Big 10 schools all in the top 10. To me, it looks like TCU’s ONLY chance of making it is by jumping a 9-3 Auburn assuming they lose to Alabama, and even then Auburn may still be chosen over TCU. I don’t see any other team ahead of TCU that we could potentially jump. If Auburn beats Alabama, then TCU is 100% out.

Alamo Bowl is the most likely spot for 10-3 TCU. Don’t get your hopes up for NY6.

And If TCU loses to Baylor, we are obviously out unless we then beat OU in the CCG.

Notre Dame losing to Stanford might be the best bet for us.

Planks

Don't forget UCF. They are #14 and undefeated.
They'll get a spot, plus Notre Dame.

Then you have 10 spots left for 5 conferences.
I would think 2 per conference, with the exception of maybe the PAC only getting 1 spot. ( So the SEC or BigTen get a third.)

I don't see how you take another third-place team from a conference over the runner-up the big 12.

The only rule when it comes to “At Large” NY6 spots is that the committee MUST follow their rankings when choosing who makes it.

Big 10 is getting three in over a 10-3 no matter whether Wisconsin or Ohio State wins the conference. The ONLY way the Big 10 doesn’t get three in over 10-3 TCU is if Michigan beats Ohio State.

The SEC may get three in over a 10-3 TCU. If Auburn beats Alabama, then that guarantees the SEC three teams with 10+ wins. They 100% get three teams in in that case. If Auburn loses to Alabama, then it will come down to who the committee ranks higher, 9-3 Auburn or 10-3 TCU. Seeing as how 9-3 Auburn would have a win over top 10 Georgia and losses to only ranked schools, I’m guessing committee ranks Auburn above TCU.

Don’t get your hopes up for TCU in the NY6 unless we win the Big 12.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
The only rule when it comes to “At Large” NY6 spots is that the committee MUST follow their rankings when choosing who makes it.

Big 10 is getting three in over a 10-3 no matter whether Wisconsin or Ohio State wins the conference. The ONLY way the Big 10 doesn’t get three in over 10-3 TCU is if Michigan beats Ohio State.

The SEC may get three in over a 10-3 TCU. If Auburn beats Alabama, then that guarantees the SEC three teams with 10+ wins. They 100% get three teams in in that case. If Auburn loses to Alabama, then it will come down to who the committee ranks higher, 9-3 Auburn or 10-3 TCU. Seeing as how 9-3 Auburn would have a win over top 10 Georgia and losses to only ranked schools, I’m guessing committee ranks Auburn above TCU.

Don’t get your hopes up for TCU in the NY6 unless we win the Big 12.
Who gives you the right to tell me what level my hopes should be? You're a hopist.

Planks

Notre Dame losing to Stanford might be the best bet for us.

Yeah the more i look into the different scenarios, the more convinced i am that Stanford beating Notre Dame is our only chance outside of TCU straight up winning the conference. Something unexpected like Michigan beating Ohio State would be the only other way.

CountryFrog

I think it would be disgraceful for the committee to put 3 teams from both the SEC and B10 into the NY6 and only one team from the BIG 12. They've shown an incredibly strong bias for the Big 10 every year, though, so it would be par for the course I suppose.

LeagueCityFrog

Both ESPN writers have TCU in the Cotton Bowl. One has us against Auburn, the other Penn State. They have OU playing Miami in the Rose then OU vs Bama in national championship game.

How about TCU wins the Big XII championship and I'll see all of yall in Pasadena against Miami instead? Thank God for the 13th Data Point. Beat Baylor then if we beat OU in the rematch, just you watch.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...eek-12-college-football-bowl-projections-2017

Spike

I understand the Alamo Dome had a $60 million renovation but that is a miserable place to watch a game. I would much rather go elsewhere, even ATT

I had no issues w/ the Alamo dome. I don't go to games for concessions. I can't use my cell phone at Jerry World half the time anyway, hardly an issue for picking a bowl destination IMHO.