• The KillerFrogs

No Reason to Worry About TCU Baseball Rebuilding in 2018

Pennsylvaina Yetti

After reading through a bit of the comments about last nights game in the CWS thread I can now say with complete confidence that for those worrying about the Frogs rebuilding next year don't worry. Once the Frogs get rid of these underachieving, strike-out machines who are stealing playing time and Schloss and Sarloos go get some real hitters the sky is the limit for this program. Yessiree,,, get those gold bricks out of here and boom.....back to Omaha. Not like Frogs are facing anyone decent or anything.

Wait, didn't Schloss and Sarloos recruit these underachievers??!!!???? Can we actually trust either one of these guys??? I thought I was sure, but now I am confused again. Do we suck or not??!!?? Please, someone help me here/

Moose Stuff

We'll have arguably the best returning rotation in the country in Janczak, Lodolo, and Wymer (I'm assuming he starts in 2018), one of the top proven closers in Feltman, and solid depth behind them with guys like King, Coughlin, Green, Eissler, and Morris. That being said there should be legitimate concern about a lineup that loses a massive veteran presence. Brown, Barzilli, Merrill, and Warner are gone and Skoug and Wade likely are as well. Humphreys is a solid replacement behind the plate but I have no idea who replaces the others. We're losing the likely left side of our 2018 infield to the draft (Gonzo and Freeman). We're gonna need a healthy Baker, improved years from Watson and Wanhanen, and some new guys like Oviedo to emerge as key contributors.

We'll have arguably the best returning rotation in the country in Janczak, Lodolo, and Wymer (I'm assuming he starts in 2018), one of the top proven closers in Feltman, and solid depth behind them with guys like King, Coughlin, Green, Eissler, and Morris. That being said there should be legitimate concern about a lineup that loses a massive veteran presence. Brown, Barzilli, Merrill, and Warner are gone and Skoug and Wade likely are as well. Humphreys is a solid replacement behind the plate but I have no idea who replaces the others. We're losing the likely left side of our 2018 infield to the draft (Gonzo and Freeman). We're gonna need a healthy Baker, improved years from Watson and Wanhanen, and some new guys like Oviedo to emerge as key contributors.
#onegameatatime
I'm sure the new guys will be happy to be there and good lord willing just hope to contribute.

Moose Stuff

I should note here that Freeman has not signed yet, so until he does there is some chance he shows up.

TooColdU

I remember worrying about a "rebuilding" year after the 2015 season. We had just lost...

Cody Jones (CF),
Derek Crain (2nd),
Derek Odell (3rd),
Keaton Jones (SS),
Riley Ferrell (Closer),
Preston Morrison (Ace Pitcher),
Alex Young (#2 Pitcher),
Tyler Alexander (#3 Pitcher),
Trey Teakell (Sure-Fire Relief Pitcher)

With all of these players moving on, we still ended up in Omaha the following season.

Apparently CJS doesn't believe in rebuilding seasons.

Last edited:

Boomhauer

I remember worrying about a "rebuilding" year after the 2015 season. We had just lost...

Cody Jones (CF),
Derek Crain (2nd),
Derek Odell (3rd),
Keaton Jones (SS),
Riley Ferrell (Closer),
Alex Young (#2 Pitcher),

With all of these players moving on, we still ended up in Omaha the following season.

Apparently CJS doesn't believe rebuilding seasons.

that was some serious talent

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area

Cody Jones (CF),
Derek Crain (2nd),
Derek Odell (3rd),
Keaton Jones (SS),
Riley Ferrell (Closer),
Alex Young (#2 Pitcher),

Apparently CJS doesn't believe rebuilding seasons.

Exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for naming all of them. When you recruit like Schloss and company do, you just reload. The 2016 freshman recruiting class was easily the best in TCU history. Heck, maybe not just TCU history, it could be the best recruiting class in the NCAA for the last 5-6 years.

I should note here that Freeman has not signed yet, so until he does there is some chance he shows up.

Seems like the chatter about him right now is similar to Lodolo last year... Team thought they could get him, didn't listen to the kids "ask" and drafted anyways, and is now going to go cobble together some money from their pool and say take it or leave it. If memory serves, Pittsburgh got $800k or so together last year and Lodolo still said no (wanted $1mm pre draft).

Moose Stuff

Seems like the chatter about him right now is similar to Lodolo last year... Team thought they could get him, didn't listen to the kids "ask" and drafted anyways, and is now going to go cobble together some money from their pool and say take it or leave it. If memory serves, Pittsburgh got $800k or so together last year and Lodolo still said no (wanted $1mm pre draft).

More or less my understanding as well. Team offered X, kid said no. Team offered more than X, kid said no. Team offered even more than more than X, kid still said no. Team drafted him anyway. We'll see.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
More or less my understanding as well. Team offered X, kid said no. Team offered more than X, kid said no. Team offered even more than more than X, kid still said no. Team drafted him anyway. We'll see.
Lodolo's mom told me that he had wanted to go to TCU for several years and had no intention of going pro.

He wanted to be coached by Sarloos, who the family adores

OmniscienceFrog

After reading through a bit of the comments about last nights game in the CWS thread I can now say with complete confidence that for those worrying about the Frogs rebuilding next year don't worry. Once the Frogs get rid of these underachieving, strike-out machines who are stealing playing time and Schloss and Sarloos go get some real hitters the sky is the limit for this program. Yessiree,,, get those gold bricks out of here and boom.....back to Omaha. Not like Frogs are facing anyone decent or anything.

Wait, didn't Schloss and Sarloos recruit these underachievers??!!!???? Can we actually trust either one of these guys??? I thought I was sure, but now I am confused again. Do we suck or not??!!?? Please, someone help me here/
Goldbricks, as you used it, is one word. Thank you.