• The KillerFrogs

[nm] Rumor has Tuberville to Cincy

masterfrog

Dykes never won B12. Leach tied for 1st in 08.
In conferences that have a championship game, tying for first means nothing unless you are the one advancing to the championship game. In the Big 12 as it is currently configured, it gives the Oklahoma playes and coaches a championship ring to wear the rest of their lives.

P

PurpleDaze

My Techtard buddies say Art Briles is a slam dunk since he's an alum .... Delusional, I say.

Limey Frog

My Techtard buddies say Art Briles is a slam dunk since he's an alum .... Delusional, I say.

I can't speak for what Briles thinks, but as far as I'm concerned Baylor is now a better job. Their new facilities look like they'll be first rate. Waco may not be FOrt Worth, but it's at least in central Texas near to recruiting hotbeds. Lubbock, not so much.

Black-it-out-Frog!

Maybe in terms of statistical record you are correct, but in terms of national presence (what Tech had at least) and visibility and marketability, it's not even close. Leach wins over Dykes by 100 miles. I believe that is what Black-it-out was probably referring to more than actual win/losses.

Yes thank you, national presence is a quality that is hard to obtain and easy to lose. No telling how badly this could Tech long term. Could set the program back 1-2 years, or 5-10 or longer. I believe this is a truly critical moment in tech football history. I don't believe a big name coach is the right direction. It should be someone with a connection to the program an understanding of how to recruit a difficult market.

frognutz

I can't speak for what Briles thinks, but as far as I'm concerned Baylor is now a better job. Their new facilities look like they'll be first rate. Waco may not be FOrt Worth, but it's at least in central Texas near to recruiting hotbeds. Lubbock, not so much.

Now there is an interesting debate. Better football program going forward....Baylor or Tech? Could be a thread of it's own there. I think it's still got to be Tech. I think the "close to recruits" thing gets overblown. If every Texas kid stayed in Texas there would be plenty of talent to go around.

TCU_91

I'm not sure. At this point with Briles I think Bu maybe better.

Can't believe we're at that point but yea!!

cdsfrog

Spike Dykes may have had a lot of 2nd places but they came at the expense of 6-6 and 6-5 seasons. Hell after 1989 he had one good season at 9-3 until he left after 1999

Frog89

Now there is an interesting debate. Better football program going forward....Baylor or Tech? Could be a thread of it's own there. I think it's still got to be Tech. I think the "close to recruits" thing gets overblown. If every Texas kid stayed in Texas there would be plenty of talent to go around.

to me, it's Baylor. New stadium going in. Waco vs. Lubbock, it's very close, but at least Waco is located closer to civilization. Only reason I think Briles may ever consider Tech is because it's his school. But I think he'd be dumb to leave Baylor now. I think they are a program that is doing good things with a lot of support and excitement. Tech is same old Tech. In fact, they've regressed from Leach. Laughing my arse off that he left for Cinci. Thinking of all the schools that have come after Patterson, and that just cracks me up that Tech loses one to that school.

masterfrog

Spike Dykes may have had a lot of 2nd places but they came at the expense of 6-6 and 6-5 seasons. Hell after 1989 he had one good season at 9-3 until he left after 1999
This is because when Dykes was at Tech they scheduled tougher teams. He took Tech on the road to Georgia, Penn State, Ohio State, Miami (Fla.), etc., etc. When was the last time you saw Tech play a top 10 team on the road out of conference. I think Dykes did it 8 or 9 times.

SnoSki

I would be extremely surprised if Briles left to go to Tech.

Need to get Lauderdale on the phone. Good prospect at WR committed to them a while back. Believe we've offered.

frognutz

I completely Agree!!!!!!!!

RE: Tubberville Slap

It does, but not for the reason you suggest. Tubbs wanted to get out of Lubbock and who in their right mind is going to hire him after he loses to Kansas. Try making that case as an AD! He was a "skin of the teeth" overtime loss from being stuck in Lubbock for the foreseeable future which is why he was going ballistic. Ergo the B Slap.