• The KillerFrogs

More Wiscy classlessness

onwis25

That's just plain silly. Of course it's directed at the other team. As I've mentioned before, there is a very long standing tradition at UW in all sports of spending greatly inordinate amounts of time tearing down the other team as opposed to cheering their own. I've personally witnessed this in football, hockey and basketball on numerous occasions as far back as the 60s and I'd make a bet the tradition is well older than that. Some of this behavior is normal and expected, but perhaps during the National Anthem, all through the game, and especially after every minor mistake ("U f'd up" or the hockey version "sieve, sieve, sieve") on the part of the opponent--though TCU made darn few even minor mistakes!--is a bit much.

It may be tradition, but it's a very classless one when so overdone.

The e/s, f/u chant is, in fact, between sections in the student section and not directed at opponents. I accept TCU derision against UW fan behavior because they was EXCEPTIONALLY decent at the RB, but not from some displaced Minnesota fan. I've sat in many a Minnesota home game to hear "overrated" or "na na na na, hey hey hey, good bye" to believe for a second UM has some kind of higher moral ground.

I wish our student section handled the sportsmanship better than they do. Since we sell out everything with locals (unlike UM that has most of thier UW/UM home games filled with Badger fans) we have learned some really bad habits.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
The e/s, f/u chant is, in fact, between sections in the student section and not directed at opponents. I accept TCU derision against UW fan behavior because they was EXCEPTIONALLY decent at the RB, but not from some displaced Minnesota fan. I've sat in many a Minnesota home game to hear "overrated" or "na na na na, hey hey hey, good bye" to believe for a second UM has some kind of higher moral ground.

If that's the worst you've heard, they yes UM would have the moral high ground.

angelo's frog

I didn't witness any bad behavior by Wiscy fans. I did see/hear some of our young students or recent grads being asses in the concourse area before the game such as talking loudly about Wisconsin women being fat etc. The bottomline is that there is never any legitimate reason to engage the fans of the opposing team in a negative manner. They are just there to enjoy the game and don't deserve to get any crap from anyone. Frankly anyone that derives pleasure from trying to make someone else feel bad is a more than a little effed up and probably very insecure about their own manhood.

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
Just saw this on deadspin...

So I just got back from working at the Rose Bowl...the stories you won't hear or maybe you did:
1) Photog down on the field taking pictures pregame. Squatting down around Wisc end zone. Apparently he was blocking one the Wisconsin band member's spots so Wisconsin band member (drums) proceeds to stand directly over photog and bang the every loving [Craig James] out of his drums and then moves to banging photogs head with drum stick things. Repeatedly. Stomps on him. Photog is trying to get up to no avail. Finally does, grabs band member by his shirt at which time the event staff takes notice and proceeds to jump all over photog thinking he was the instigator and problem. Band member and fellow members all claim 'well...they were both in the wrong....'

2) A minute or so to go, some guy rushes the field with a clear intent to tackle one of the officials. Makes it 60yds before being taken down by some TCU players. Get's points for rushing yards for the Badgers. (that part's a lie but...)

3) In parking lot after the game, drunk Wisc fans being belligerent so cops come towards them. Fans start running. One [Craig James]s his pants in the running part of his escape.

I'm sure there's more but it's 1:30 in the morning, I've been up since 6 and working since 7:30 on my feet almost the entire time, first in boots (heels of course) then wedges, and finally flip flops. So I'm beat and then some. Just thought some of you might find this interesting.

For the record, the TCU fans were classy as hell, as were their players and coaches and staff. Should be noted that though we were in the press box and weren't allowed to root for any team, I was rooting for Wisconsin...

neo926

Is it the climate or something? It almost got comical at one point because finding a good looking girl in that crowd was like trying to spot Sasquach. Unreal.
It can't be the climate, because the women in Minnesota are huge upgrades in the looks department.

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
Shame on whichever TCU fan this was jumping around in front of all the Whisky fans in the back after the Rose Bowl. They really didn't deserve your taunts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGEqWzw8A9g&feature=player_embedded#!

sous vide

I wish our student section handled the sportsmanship better than they do. Since we sell out everything with locals (unlike UM that has most of thier UW/UM home games filled with Badger fans) we have learned some really bad habits.

Thank you for making my exact point.

Don't know how old you are, but as I said this is very long standing regardless of goodness or badness of the the team in any specific sport in any specific year.

For the record, I don't know why anyone would go to a Gopher home football game these days, let alone a Badger fan! As for me, I was a bit independent as I was watching fb/bb/hockey for enjoyment not as a Gopher. My brother is the Gopher but I have disowned him since he supported Wisc in the Rose Bowl this year. In any case, the behavior was as classless then as it is now in terms of the cheers we're discussing.

For my part, my (undergrad) Bulldogs went undefeated--just as did my (grad school) Frogs--and in so doing won the D2 national title. Good year for me in football! I suspect zero others or only the barest handful of others can feel along with me on the continent!

onwis25

Thank you for making my exact point.

Don't know how old you are, but as I said this is very long standing regardless of goodness or badness of the the team in any specific sport in any specific year.

For the record, I don't know why anyone would go to a Gopher home football game these days, let alone a Badger fan! As for me, I was a bit independent as I was watching for enjoyment not as a Gopher. My brother is the Gopher but I have disowned him since he supported Wisc in the Rose Bowl.

For my part, my (undergrad) Bulldogs went undefeated just as did my (grad school) Frogs and in so doing won the D2 national title. Good year for me in football!

Sorry to take the TCU board in this direction but I think this requires attention.

My little brother played in the WCHA. At a university level UMD treats opposing fans the absolute worst. They put opposing fans on tiny metal bleachers behind a goal. When they spray off the zamboni between periods opposing fans get sprayed horribly and consistently. With the UW, opposing fans (of which I was one when my brother played) got free entry into the Blue Line Club between periods by simply wearing an opposing team jersey. We never bought a drink in the Blue Line Club.

Your hcokey team is doing well this (and last) year as well. Its good for college hockey to have a strong UMD.

Shut Down Frogs

Walking to my car was pretty trecherous. Got in several heated arguments. But on my way back to the Bay Area, I decided to get a hotel in Bakersfield before I fell asleep at the wheel. When I got to the hotel, there was a husband and wife in Wisky gear waiting to check in.

We had a nice little chat, but as the conversation went on, I realized the complements were very backhanded and shallow. Things like "Dalton is a great QB, but he'll never set foot on an NFL field," or "your fans are loud for being such a small crowd."

They were nice enough, so I let it go. But in the back of my head, I was hoping their room was next to the freeway and their alarm clock was set at 3am.

The two comments you have listed definitely are obnoxious, but I can't take too much offense at them. It's important to remember who you're talking to and what frame of mind they're in.

As much as I love Dalton (and it's a lot) I really don't see him having much of an NFL career either. I hope he does, but I just don't see it. Fortunately he has been OUTSTANDING for TCU in his time here and I will always love him for it - his career has been a success, even if he doesn't get much play on Sundays. If fans that just lost a tough game really want to make themselves feel better by expressing their opinion about his future (Tolzien, Clay, and Watt don't stand much of a chance of playing professionally either, in my humble opinion), so be it, but the reality is that he's been one of the best college football quarterbacks in the country for close to half a decade. History's filled with players who excel in college and don't make the grade in the pros (10,000+ kids suit up to play FBS level football every year - cycling players in and out every 4 years at most; under 1800 people will see an NFL sideline in a season), but you can bet their college fans still appreciate what they did for them. I know I will.

And as for being loud for a small crowd - your [Craig James] right we're loud! Take pride in that. We field a first class team on the field and average fan attendance is five times the size of our school. It's pretty easy to fill an 80,000 person stadium when you're graduating kids at 10K a year. The way I see it, our fans are just that much more dedicated.

I'm getting off my soapbox now.

sous vide

Sorry to take the TCU board in this direction but I think this requires attention.

My little brother played in the WCHA. At a university level UMD treats opposing fans the absolute worst. They put opposing fans on tiny metal bleachers behind a goal. When they spray off the zamboni between periods opposing fans get sprayed horribly and consistently. With the UW, opposing fans (of which I was one when my brother played) got free entry into the Blue Line Club between periods by simply wearing an opposing team jersey. We never bought a drink in the Blue Line Club.

Your hcokey team is doing well this (and last) year as well. Its good for college hockey to have a strong UMD.

UMD hockey fans were often classless, quite true. No argument there. In that case it was the city crowd more than the students. Haven't been back to a game for a while--7-10 years, I'd guess--but they may well still be. Quick story: I forget who it was, but it might have been Coach Sonmor, once led his team into the UMD crowd after getting too much beer poured down their backs (circa 1970). I was not the only UMD student who cheered as these were mostly young 30-something "boosters" who were stealing our seats with their extra cash (from our POV) and pretty much deserved what they got.

PurpleBlood87

After the game never heard "good game" or anything like that from a Wisconsin fan. But I wore my TCU hooded sweater in the Denver Airport and at least 10 or 12 people either traveling but mostly people who worked there said "congratulations" or "good game" or "I'm so glad TCU won." The American Eagle shuttle bus driver at LAX asked me if I thought TCU could go undefeated in the SEC. I told him probably not but if TCU were in the SEC for five years they might be able to do that. I told him I TCU could probably go undefeated in the Big 10.

pinot evil

I went to the Rose Bowl with my wife, her girl friend and her 2 daughters' ages 16 and 14. After the parade we were walking to the Rose Bowl and 3 Wisconsin fans came up behind us loudly dropping the F bomb, I just turned around and glared at the loud mouth and he stopped.

Thirty minutes later I was separated from the ladies and they were heckled by a group of Wisconsin fans while walking to the TCU tailgate, nothing vulgar, just harassing a bunch of ladies saying they were the only TCU fans they had seen all day, bla, bla, bla. But I can tell you that the ladies didn't enjoy it.

After the game, the teen aged girls had just gotten Jake Kirkpatrick's autograph outside the stadium, (you know the spot where earlier the 2 Badgers flipped off the entire country coming out of the stadium on national TV http://www.youtube.c...h?v=1WFLut1KTMo ) I had my back turned talking to a friend about 100 feet away. As the teen aged girls were walking back to us some Wisconsin fan ran up to them and yelled "You Suck! TCU Sucks!" and other things that they didn't want to elaborate on. I'm not sure what I would have done if I had seen the jerk who assaulted the girls - but I'm sure I would have regretted it.

To those who call this sort of thing tradition and say it won't ever stop - that's true as long as you accept it. I have been in games where fans have been vulgar and I always start with, hey there are kids here watch your mouth, if it happens again I simply tell them if I hear it again I'm going to go get a cop I've never had to. Anyway, I'll stand up and do this at AGC if necessary and hope all of you will too.

pcf

The two comments you have listed definitely are obnoxious, but I can't take too much offense at them. It's important to remember who you're talking to and what frame of mind they're in.

As much as I love Dalton (and it's a lot) I really don't see him having much of an NFL career either. I hope he does, but I just don't see it. Fortunately he has been OUTSTANDING for TCU in his time here and I will always love him for it - his career has been a success, even if he doesn't get much play on Sundays. If fans that just lost a tough game really want to make themselves feel better by expressing their opinion about his future (Tolzien, Clay, and Watt don't stand much of a chance of playing professionally either, in my humble opinion), so be it, but the reality is that he's been one of the best college football quarterbacks in the country for close to half a decade. History's filled with players who excel in college and don't make the grade in the pros (10,000+ kids suit up to play FBS level football every year - cycling players in and out every 4 years at most; under 1800 people will see an NFL sideline in a season), but you can bet their college fans still appreciate what they did for them. I know I will.

And as for being loud for a small crowd - your [Craig James] right we're loud! Take pride in that. We field a first class team on the field and average fan attendance is five times the size of our school. It's pretty easy to fill an 80,000 person stadium when you're graduating kids at 10K a year. The way I see it, our fans are just that much more dedicated.

I'm getting off my soapbox now.

Andy is going to get his NFL shot. He's big, durable, has experience and football character.

As for the Wisconsin fans, they were fine. They were a little surprised and put off by how nice TCU fans were. I think they must associate all games with negative social interaction.

AFunkyFrog

The TCU Band, Cheerleaders, and Showgirls were stuck in the official Wisconsin hotel in downtown LA. If you booked the trip through Wisconsin, you were automatically placed in that hotel. We all came back from practice one day and the line for Wisconsin fans to get their room keys wrapped around the mall. For the three days they were there, they were incredibly loud and belligerent drunks, regardless of whether they were young or old. The lines for the elevators were ridiculous, and Badgers took it upon themselves to cut the TCU band in line. I heard of one person who was the only Frog on an elevator and the whole way down they flipped her off without uttering a single word until she left. A middle aged Badger fan told me that TCU girls couldn't compete with the dashing looks of the Badger girls and that I shouldn't even try. I was just trying to eat breakfast peacefully. Badger fans of all ages openly drank in packs in the lobby of the hotel, carting buckets of it where ever they went. I was offered a drink by an 18 year old...in the elevator. The morning of the rose bowl parade, a girl was passed out on my hall in a puddle of drool. I then got on the elevator to go to the lobby and there were smashed bottles of beer and a pool of blood smeared across the floor of it. So Badgers, I would like to thank you for yelling curse words at me at all hours of the day and keeping the Downtown Sheraton classy. I'm sure there were plenty of similar Frogs somewhere in LA, and I apologize to those self respecting Badgers who were offended by them in the same way I was this week.

TCURiggs

We only ran across a handful of cool Wisconsin fans. It seemed like almost every one we were around was throwing up the middle finger and yelling F bombs. I think we actually found the worst CFB fan in the country in lot H. Dude would not stop screaming "F you!!" with his middle finger in the air for about 5 minutes straight. He was [Craig James] near foaming at the mouth he was screaming so loud, and he was spilling his beer all over the place...party foul on top of his obnoxiousness. I've never wanted to punch an opposing fan so badly. I now have a special place of sports hatred in my heart for their fans. We met a few terrible Utes in SLC, but nothing like these clowns.

Dogfrog

Couple of anecdotes:

ON Thurs, a guy sitting by himself on the car rental shuttle out of the blue yells across the bus to us: "you know we're going to kick your ***!". I turned, expecting a good natured smile, and he had a serious, maniacal look on his face.

Decided last minute to take public transportation to Pasadena due to all the parking uncertainty, and rode on the trains with hundreds of drunk, surly Wiscy fans. Lots of cat calls, FU's, put downs mumbled just loud enough to make sure we heard. I told my wife we might have to take a cab back to the hotel if we lost because I thought this crowd could get ugly. Thank gawd we won because that was the quietest train ride I've ever taken. Not a single Wiscy fan said a word.

I did have one young Wiscy fan ask me after walking out of the train station why we weren't bragging. I told him we did our talking on the field.

One young Wiscy couple with a child congratulated us on the street in Pasadena, and another guy offered to buy us a beer in Pasadena, then revealed that he's really a USC fan.

Nicest couple we encountered were Oregon folks who came down for the game on their way to Phoenix. We sat next to them in a Pasadena restaurant and talked awhile and when we left, we walked about a mile toward the stadium when the Oregon guy runs up behind us out of breath to return a glove my wife left on the table.

These Wiscy folks aren't bad people, I just feel like we encountered a culture we've never encountered before. It's a little more understandable with drunk students (like at Tech) but in most cases if those TEch student's parents saw them behaving that way, it would be dealt with. With Wiscy, it appears to be a part of their cultural fabric, unfortunately.

TAW

That's just plain silly. Of course it's directed at the other team. As I've mentioned before, there is a very long standing tradition at UW in all sports of spending greatly inordinate amounts of time tearing down the other team as opposed to cheering their own. I've personally witnessed this in football, hockey and basketball on numerous occasions as far back as the 60s and I'd make a bet the tradition is well older than that. Some of this behavior is normal and expected, but perhaps during the National Anthem, all through the game, and especially after every minor mistake ("U f'd up" or the hockey version "sieve, sieve, sieve") on the part of the opponent--though TCU made darn few even minor mistakes!--is a bit much.

It may be tradition, but it's a very classless one when so overdone.

If you think the cheer is directed at the other team, I seriously question your knowledge of "very long standing tradition" at UW. The ES-FU cheer began in the 1970-80s as "Tastes Great - Less Filling" and evolved from there to its current form. It is generally directed by students in Section O to students in Section P of Camp Randall but it can be any student section trading barbs with another student section. Immature? - yes; Would I like to see more cleverness? - absolutely; Would I suggest university officials censor them? - no way. Part of being a student is learning your limits and society's limits and, for some students, this cheer - however infantile - is part of that learning process.

FWIW, my kids have had season tickets to Camp Randall since they were in 4th grade (now 26 and 23) and hearing this cheer has not scared them for life; you can make it a learning experience. Of course, when they were really little, I told them the students were saying "Eat Fish - Beef Stew!"

sous vide

If you think the cheer is directed at the other team, I seriously question your knowledge of "very long standing tradition" at UW. The ES-FU cheer began in the 1970-80s as "Tastes Great - Less Filling" and evolved from there to its current form. It is generally directed by students in Section O to students in Section P of Camp Randall but it can be any student section trading barbs with another student section. Immature? - yes; Would I like to see more cleverness? - absolutely; Would I suggest university officials censor them? - no way. Part of being a student is learning your limits and society's limits and, for some students, this cheer - however infantile - is part of that learning process.

FWIW, my kids have had season tickets to Camp Randall since they were in 4th grade (now 26 and 23) and hearing this cheer has not scared them for life; you can make it a learning experience. Of course, when they were really little, I told them the students were saying "Eat Fish - Beef Stew!"

Classless cheers directed at the other team are a long standing tradition. The form varies. You'll find that TCU just doesn't have all that many of them. Nor would large groups engage for inordinate periods of a game.

Culture thing maybe that swimming in it you cannot even see. But having swum in both places, trust me, it's there.

My first lesson was walking behind some beautiful young fillies my first day on campus. We came up to a swinging door and they stopped and turned sideways. I just bulled on through the door without even thinking all the time wondering why they all seemed so affronted at me. :unsure: Different place, different mores, but I certainly learned and even married a Texan.