• The KillerFrogs

More Wiscy classlessness

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
I thought it was great! I love the tradition of the big 10 schools and wish we had a little more of that tradition at TCU. It's curious to me how little tradition there is at TCU and other SW conference teams given our long history. The only thing we seem to have on them is the hand signs. Anyway, I loved watching the band and the fans celebrate even in a loss. Love the loud singing... TCU got to celebrate. The only thing I wondered is if they do that at away games... which this was in some ways...

Josh
You thought what was great? What tradition do any of the Big 10 schools have over us? Heisman winners? Check. National championships? Check. Played in each of the major bowls? Check. Jumping up and down to a 90's song? Okay they got us.

Students, the middle-aged, and up were all nice and respectful to our group (besides friendly kidding and then good conversations). I think you find at every college that drunk college students are jerks. I did see some bad behavior from both TCU fans and Wisconsin fans (mostly what appeared to be drunk college kids). I sure wish you guys would get over pointing out every little injustice and bad-sport. It makes you sound like such whiners. If you want everyone to behave like angels go watch tennis or golf (75 years ago). I also saw some great gestures after the game of wisconsin and TCU people trying to help people navigate the fenced off golf course (we did a prison break to get to lot 2). Anyway, it was a ton of fun.

And I think Bielema was saying that this was no David and Goliath match up - and when we start playing in the Big East hopefully people will see that we're just plain a good team... not a Cinderella story -- but a Big Boy ourselves.

Some of you seem to have serious little-brother complexes.

maf

Chongo94

Agree with some of the others. The Wisconsin coach is a [Cowherd]tastic extraordinaire. He's not gonna help combat that as he is an active participant and just comes across to me as a very smug individual. Just really can't stand the guy and that was long before this game.

Wisconsin and Overrated State remind me of A&M during the latter part of the SWC years...i.e. getting fat off the land by beating horrible SWC/Big 10 teams and then thinking you're good and this national powerhouse when in reality everyone knows you're just good in your own conference.

GlendarrochFrog

Students, the middle-aged, and up were all nice and respectful to our group (besides friendly kidding and then good conversations). I think you find at every college that drunk college students are jerks. I did see some bad behavior from both TCU fans and Wisconsin fans (mostly what appeared to be drunk college kids). I sure wish you guys would get over pointing out every little injustice and bad-sport. It makes you sound like such whiners. If you want everyone to behave like angels go watch tennis or golf (75 years ago). I also saw some great gestures after the game of wisconsin and TCU people trying to help people navigate the fenced off golf course (we did a prison break to get to lot 2). Anyway, it was a ton of fun.

And I think Bielema was saying that this was no David and Goliath match up - and when we start playing in the Big East hopefully people will see that we're just plain a good team... not a Cinderella story -- but a Big Boy ourselves.

maf
What year did you graduate from UT?

smufrogger

Holy crap. Your note on their board would have been exactly the same note as what I have written. As a father of 3 myself at all the same ages I love bringing them to tcu football games but I would never go to a wisc game with their students behaviour! We are at the Hilton in Anaheim. Going to Disney Monday in tcu garb becAuse that's all they own. Lol

What year did you graduate from UT?
Bah! Never! I'm just able to have a little academic distance. Some folks take these comments pretty personally. Remember at the end of the day sports are just a soap opera for boys (and some of my favorite girls!). If you start taking this stuff personally it's like getting excited about Who shot J.R. or Luke and Laura (my name says it all -- I'm a child of the 70s). I refuse to hate a state, or people from a school because I want my football team to win. Acting like they just scuffed my shoes so we should have a duel is silly.

maf.

GlendarrochFrog

Bah! Never! I'm just able to have a little academic distance. Some folks take these comments pretty personally. Remember at the end of the day sports are just a soap opera for boys (and some of my favorite girls!). If you start taking this stuff personally it's like getting excited about Who shot J.R. or Luke and Laura (my name says it all -- I'm a child of the 70s). I refuse to hate a state, or people from a school because I want my football team to win. Acting like they just scuffed my shoes so we should have a duel is silly.

maf.
That kind of perspective that "sports is just a game" is not something we share. I am sure you will have much lower blood pressure for it!

You thought what was great? What tradition do any of the Big 10 schools have over us? Heisman winners? Check. National championships? Check. Played in each of the major bowls? Check. Jumping up and down to a 90's song? Okay they got us.
This may be about semantics -- but IMO you are talking about accomplishments, not tradition. Tradition is singing a kick [Craig James] fight song (I'm still not in love with ours), the 5th quarter (not Jump Around), staying in a conference for 100 years (not 5) and getting to go to the rose bowl (which I loved crashing that party don't get me wrong). Another tradition is filling the stands in good and bad years. You can make fun of them if you want, but I admire it. Wish the SWC was still together and some of our 100 year rivalries meant something still. That's tradition.

PurpleBlood87

maf
I'm 46 and I didn't see any of this sweet, kind behavior from Wisconsin fans. Most of them only seemed to know curse words and were very uneducated football fans. The women were just as bad as the men. Just rude people who thought they were superior. Guess they didn't realize they were going to a state school.

PurpleBlood87

This may be about semantics -- but IMO you are talking about accomplishments, not tradition. Tradition is singing a kick [Craig James] fight song (I'm still not in love with ours), the 5th quarter (not Jump Around), staying in a conference for 100 years (not 5) and getting to go to the rose bowl (which I loved crashing that party don't get me wrong). Another tradition is filling the stands in good and bad years. You can make fun of them if you want, but I admire it. Wish the SWC was still together and some of our 100 year rivalries meant something still. That's tradition.
You are hopeless.

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs

maf

You miss my point, MAF. I expect some boorish behavior from all fanbases--of course TCU has its share of knuckleheads also. Example: my son and I were in the men's bathroom line. Some knuckleheads were bypassing the line by going in the exit door. After seeing 2 TCU-clad fans going in, we in line called out the next one by firmly telling him "Horned Frog, the line starts back here," and educating him on how his behavior reflects on the University. That's what I was suggesting that Wiscy fans do to their younger crowd.

In addition, and more importantly, the Wiscy fanbase tilts far more to the knucklehead variety than the courteous. It's not a little-brother complex. Instead, the fact is that the overwhelming majority of the Wiscy fans I ran into were very, very poor sports, rude, drunk, cursing, etc. That contrasts sharply with the BSU and Clemson fanbases (the two best examples I have of classy fanbases, and you can't tell me that Clemson has less tradition than Wiscy). Both of those fanbases also had a few knuckleheads, but the vast majority of the fans of those schools were gracious in defeat or victory, educated, courteous, etc., in their interactions with me.

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs
Holy crap. Your note on their board would have been exactly the same note as what I have written. As a father of 3 myself at all the same ages I love bringing them to tcu football games but I would never go to a wisc game with their students behaviour! We are at the Hilton in Anaheim. Going to Disney Monday in tcu garb becAuse that's all they own. Lol

Awesome. We'll be in Disney tomorrow too. We'll also be wearing purple, if not covered up by ponchos because of the rain! TCU ball caps on me and my son will still show though!

Nick Danger

There is a generational difference because it takes a while for the Wisconsin fans to fully "ripen" once they've emerged from their pod!

200px-1956bodysnatcherscast.jpg

You miss my point, MAF.

Gotcha. I had good experiences with most Badger's I met before and after the game. I think for you to be making factual, statistical comments like you've done a simple random sample, is ingenuous (based on your use of terms such as "mostly", "tilts", "overwhelming majority" - the last of which I would say flatly can't be true). Sorry you had a bad experience. My experience was great. My wife and her friend even sneaked into the wisconsin official tailgate to use their restrooms and were only teased by a couple of people in a good natured way.

I did just run into a couple of seriously bummed badgers (and initially a little rude) at the bar and the pool and I just kidded them back. And finally they warmed up to me. What really pissed them off was when I asked about Brett Favre! :) That's when I thought I needed to leave!

Again sorry you had a bad time -- but saying the overwhelming majority of fans were bad seems in bad taste as well. But if it defined your experience, I guess its true for you. Maybe you're post-modern (there are multiple truths!) in your thinking. :)

MAF

BigDogFrog

Most of the Badger fans I talked to were friendly and congratulatory after we won. I did see some Wisconsin students that were clearly acting in poor taste, but IMO, the Utah fans were much worse.

frogman42

I also saw tons of trashy behavior from frog fans yesterday as well. Because there were more Wisky fans there, they also had more lewd behavior.

sous vide

Do Wisconsin alums take their children to these games? Their students are disgusting, and the cheers were outrageous.

One person can stop this nonsense: Bielma (sp?). He needs to start a campaign to clean up that cesspool. Students may very well listen.

As I've mentioned a number of times before, cheers like that are a long standing tradition at UW dating back in my personal experience to the 60's and likely a lot farther back. The object is to bring down the other team not raise up your own. It's a "slight" difference in perspective.

If I had to analyze it--wekl might be able to do it better being from within the state rather than an adjoining one--it springs from an inferiority complex from being surrounded by more prestigious and well known institutions. At the state level, compared to Illinois, Minnesota, and Michigan, uh, to put it bluntly, Wisconsin really is a poor sister in many ways being largely rural and not so cosmopolitan as they are.

TCU, of course, has been surrounded by "bigger, more important" institutions in much the same way. And that has had its effects on the psyche, no doubt. But to my mind, the primary TCU reaction has been to fight within our community working on ourselves rather than taking the tearing-down-of-others route that a significant number of UW-types seem to prefer. Especially the students. We tend not to say that Texas Tech is worthless, exactly :tongue: , rather that we're at least as good and maybe better and let's settle it on the field. [Note: Stating that Baylor is worthless on the field is not a putdown, it's an observation.] And to push back forcefully when anyone just tosses off a clueless statement of TCU inferiority based on ignorance. But these are different and more positive reactions to the same sort of situation to my mind, at least.

Latest posts