• The KillerFrogs

More Big 12 Expansion Rumors

BUGrad95

You have a point on the private schools issue, but not on the probation issue. It has certainly never seriously dented interest in the SEC, which has dealt with far more probation issues over a much longer period than the SWC ever did.

The biggest drawback of the SWC was undoubtedly its overly compact geography. The only game in that conference that ever truly drew national attention was Texas-OU. Even the annual UT-A&M game was a big "meh" outside of Texas and possibly Oklahoma. And even Oklahoma interest was mostly limited to its effect on conference standings and how it might impact OU or Okie State. The match-up itself drew only mild attention in Oklahoma.

Texas/OU wasn't a conference game for the SWC. I'd say UT/Arky was the only game that drew national interest. Then when SMU spiraled down, that pretty much did it in. Personally, I loved the SWC, but it wasn't economically feasible anymore. But in its heyday, the SWC was one of the top conferences in the country.

angelo's frog

Meh. It's a really long way from LA to Seattle.
But the options west of the Mississippi, excluding the state of Texas, are much more limited than on the east coast where major national-brand schools pop up every 100 miles.

Yeah but LA and Seattle aren't in the same division and they're at least in the same timezone. Don't get me wrong. If the Big 12 can get $10 million more per school by adding FSU and Clemson, I say do it. It just offends my geographic sensibilities. Kansas and Clemson, K State and WVU, ISU and FSU will never have anything in common other than money.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/18943073

One of Bowlsby's first duties is decide if the league should expand. With the addition of West Virginia and TCU, they have 10 members for the 2012-13 season. But there are several within the conference who want the league to expand to 11 or 12 for stability reasons and others who want the league to remain at 10 schools.

Industry sources told CBSSports.com if the Big 12 does expand Louisville would be its first target as a full member and UL would leave the Big East. The Big 12 also has hopes to try and sway Notre Dame to join the league, either as an all-sports member or just for as an Olympic sports member.

Horned Toad

[quote name='angelo's frog' timestamp='1336061183' post='1115605']
Screw ND. No interest in them without football.
[/quote]All the way or not at all!

froginaustin

[quote name='angelo's frog' timestamp='1336061183' post='1115605']
Screw ND. No interest in them without football.
[/quote]

Snagging ND's non-football sports makes them more inclined to eventually bring football in. Ask the BE schools. They'll vouch that's the situation.

:smile:

Seriously, it's expensive in terms of student time out of class and transportation dollars to send athletes to BFE Indiana, particularly to play teams that are decent but by no means world-beaters. That's what ND non-football sports generally are.

Kaiser

$40 million in exit fees

The ACC schools would regain most of that money in year 1 if my math is right.

Example, FSU likely to make $15M in ACC for all three tiers (after ACC receives bump for Pitt & Cuse additions). In B12 FSU makes $20M in tiers 1 & 2, and another $10M selling tier 3 (based on Texas $15M & Kansas $8M tier 3 numbers) for a $30M total. So after 1 season in the B12 FSU is only down $5M. After 2 seasons they are up $10M. Over the life of a 10 year contract FSU is up $130M. And this is assuming no tier 1&2 bump for adding a FSU or Clemson.

The ridiculous potential money difference is the only reason I give this rumor any credence.

BUGrad95

The ACC schools would regain most of that money in year 1 if my math is right.

Example, FSU likely to make $15M in ACC for all three tiers (after ACC receives bump for Pitt & Cuse additions). In B12 FSU makes $20M in tiers 1 & 2, and another $10M selling tier 3 (based on Texas $15M & Kansas $8M tier 3 numbers) for a $30M total. So after 1 season in the B12 FSU is only down $5M. After 2 seasons they are up $10M. Over the life of a 10 year contract FSU is up $130M. And this is assuming no tier 1&2 bump for adding a FSU or Clemson.

The ridiculous potential money difference is the only reason I give this rumor any credence.

Actually, if CU and FSU join, it will be $30M per with the escalator clause and CCG. It's $20.91M as a 10 team league.

Kaiser

Actually, if CU and FSU join, it will be $30M per with the escalator clause and CCG. It's $20.91M as a 10 team league.

Thanks for the clarification. I was trying to run with conservative numbers & I couldn't remember the exact details of the new deal's escalator clause.