• The KillerFrogs

More Big 12 Expansion Rumors

Stiff Arm Frog

All right, if Flying T has a friend who has a source, that's the most substantiated rumor we've heard on this front. At this point, I'm willing to concede that FSU and Clemson are open to the possibility of moving to the Big12 and are actively discussing it.

I still give it a less than 50% chance of happening. But I sure hope it happens. FSU and Clemson would be a major coupe for the Big12.

Stiff Arm Frog

Who the (I'm going to get Banned if I do not EDIT this Immediately) invited an aggy here to argue about their move to the SEC? Nobody here cares where you choose to continue in irrelevance and mediocrity.

Sounds to me like someone is bitter the Big 12 not only hasn't fallen apart, but could possibly be on the verge of being far more powerful and wealthy than it was before Aggy took their ball, cried, and ran off like the maroon-headed step child they are to a new playground where everyone will still laugh at them.

As to your "TCU and WVU were the best the Big 12 could do": you realize both those schools have much more on field success in the 2000s than A&M, right? HA! Who am I kidding!? Of course you don't. You think your male cheerleaders are cool. Goodbye now. Thanks for stopping by though to remind us how delusional your fan base is.

hahaha

AggieFrog, you seem like a nice enough guy. But if the Big12 does actually add Clemson and FSU, A&M is going to look like the dumbest bunch of kooks currently calling themselves a university. So, par for the course, really.

PurplePutt

So Tech will get a protected rivalry game and get to play KU every year--that is bull. Have to rotate just like the Big 12 = 12 did before.

FridayNightAce

IMO, the biggest variable on whether any rumor like this has a shred of truth to it has yet to be decided - the selection of the 4 teams for the BCS playoff & more importantly the way the money from that pot will be split. If the top 4 teams are picked regardless if conference champions or not, the ACC could really struggle to place a team in that playoff even in an undefeated season. On the flip side, if preference is given towards conference champions, then being in a weaker conference could potentially be an advantage to getting a piece of that pie.

Conferences are all about to play 9 games each. B1G & Pac already have an exclusive non conference scheduling agreement which wraps up 1 of three non conference games, then assume a sun belt/C USA/MWC opponent & an FCS to round out the home schedule. If the conference strength isn't there, it could be impossible for a team in the ACC or Big East, where there are a lot of schools that do not invest in football, to ever have the SOS necessary to crack top 4.

Boomhauer

Care to guess which school in the Big 12 has the most conference and national titles the past few years?

As for A&M to the SEC - it's where A&M wanted to be when the SWC folded. It makes sense for all involved. Yes, A&M's had a bad decade - that won't continue forever, just like Texas' decade of dominance came to a crashing halt.

I do find it interesting all the new posters commenting on my handle - I'm not new here and have had it since I was in grad school at TCU 8+ years ago (TCU gave this dumb Aggie a full ride - thanks for your donations!)

called.jpg

dweller

WVU to the Big 12 changed the equation about making sense. Florida State and Clemson joining the Big 12 makes more sense now from the Big 12 point of view and probably the TV contracts as well. With the looming change in the BCS this could make the Big 12 more attractive to theses schools. Add in that the recent add of Pitt and Syracuse to the ACC did nothing for the football side. No inside info, just watching the trends over the last couple of years and the rapid dominoe effect with realignment.
Big 12 should be proactive and in talks with several schools. Would not suprise me if this did pan out.

Frog DJ

AggieFrog just wants the Big XII to fail, so his comments are compost.

I can't see these "cross-division rivalry games" without Texas-OU!

However, FSU and Clemson would be quality adds.

Go Frogs! Can't Wait For Next Year!

ISUfan

Reasons FSU and Clemson would join the Big 12:

1) It already makes more money than the ACC. The ACC has a large population footprint, but we're starting to see that it becomes totally irrelevant when people don't care about watching the games. If straight population base mattered, Rutgers wouldn't be in the Big East.

2) It's going to make a lot more money per school than the 14 team ACC which did not really add anything of value in terms of increasing the per school output. These figures are out there.

3) The ACC is run by basketball schools. Clemson and FSU are the only schools in the league that place such a high importance on football. Sure, Texas and OU might have more power in this league than other schools, but UNC and Duke have more power in the ACC than anyone else. FSU and Clemson could very likely prefer an overlord whose interests are aligned with theirs vs. an overlord whose interests are opposed to theirs.

4) The ACC has been absolutely terrible on the field. Clemson and FSU will get far more exposure in the Big 12 than the ACC. They can offer east coast recruits the opportunity to play against OU, Texas, and WVU on a regular basis. These are more intriguing match ups than anyone else in the ACC right now. Only VA Tech comes anywhere close.

Genbukan

Reasons FSU and Clemson would join the Big 12:

1) It already makes more money than the ACC. The ACC has a large population footprint, but we're starting to see that it becomes totally irrelevant when people don't care about watching the games. If straight population base mattered, Rutgers wouldn't be in the Big East.

2) It's going to make a lot more money per school than the 14 team ACC which did not really add anything of value in terms of increasing the per school output. These figures are out there.

3) The ACC is run by basketball schools. Clemson and FSU are the only schools in the league that place such a high importance on football. Sure, Texas and OU might have more power in this league than other schools, but UNC and Duke have more power in the ACC than anyone else. FSU and Clemson could very likely prefer an overlord whose interests are aligned with theirs vs. an overlord whose interests are opposed to theirs.

4) The ACC has been absolutely terrible on the field. Clemson and FSU will get far more exposure in the Big 12 than the ACC. They can offer east coast recruits the opportunity to play against OU, Texas, and WVU on a regular basis. These are more intriguing match ups than anyone else in the ACC right now. Only VA Tech comes anywhere close.

Agree and very well stated.

Money and to a lesser extent, survival, also come into play. You've mentioned the big xii already makes more $ per team than the acc - that's before the rumored new TV deal comes into place. According to multiple reports the big xii has a chance to reach up to 28 million per team if they add schools on an espn approved list. Obviously Clemson and FSU are two of the teams on that list. The tier three rights are also big as they offer to POTENTIAL to add even more dollars. As an aside I really don't see many schools going the longwhorn or even k-state route of single school networks. But I see a real possibility of regional tier three networks - for example tcu, baylor, tech or FSU, Clemson, WVU?

ACC has some strengths as a league. The power base as you mentioned is pretty solid and want to stick together. Reminds me of the Beast - controlled by an old school, basketball mentality. We all see what happened to the Beast. UNC, Duke, Wake, and perhaps NCST and UV are basketball first schools. So is Syracuse. It's almost impossible for a conference commissioner to serve two masters and for FSU and Clemson - much like every school in the big xii except for Kansas - Football is the meal ticket that must be fed.

This makes a lot of sense. Maybe it makes to much sense to really happen ??

Ron Swanson

Care to guess which school in the Big 12 has the most conference and national titles the past few years?
There are only 3 college sports that adult men are allowed to brag about....

Baseball
Football
Men's Basketball

No one gives a crap about your golf, gymnastics, or women's basketball titles

Ron Swanson

FWIW - If you go to the Rivals national board and read any thread discussing this topic, every single FSU and Clemson poster is 100% behind moving to the Big XII. They all hate the ACC and want out.

Whether the administrations feel the same, I have no idea, but thought it was interesting the fan bases were so unified behind the idea.

fdub

while I'll believe this when I see it, I really hope to see it. That would be a ri-donk-ulous football conference.

BelushiBob

I do find it interesting all the new posters commenting on my handle - I'm not new here and have had it since I was in grad school at TCU 8+ years ago (TCU gave this dumb Aggie a full ride - thanks for your donations!)
New poster? I'm not a new, so save that junk for somebody else troll. You have a horrible name, much like gdu's original name. You don't have to say "dumb aggie" cause it's implied.

angelo's frog

From a television $$$ and football competitiveness standpoint, I guess FSU and Clemson make sense but geographically, neither of them (or WVU for that matter) make any sense. FSU and ISU in the same division, really? That ought to be fun trip from Tallahassee to Ames for a midweek basketball game. Hell the aborted Pac-16 made more sense than this. At least the Arizona, Colorado and TX/OK schools grouped together in one division made geographic sense. However, I guess as long as TCU gets to play in one of the money conferences, I'm okay with it. I just fear that a bastardized conference like the one proposed is not going to be a long term solution and I hope TCU keeps their powder dry for whatever comes next.

Latest posts