• The KillerFrogs

Mike Leach on the CFP

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I can just hear the popping sound of heads exploding up in Bristol. Those whose heads didn't pop will be shrieking "Heretic! Heretic! Burn the unbeliever!!!"

netty2424

If you want a real champion, it's just that simple. And that's how it should be. A true playoff giving a larger group of teams a shot. Best team wins. Period.

Limp Lizard

Galloway, Davis, Herbstreit, and Booger just jumped off the WSU bandwagon onto the Washington bandwagon.
Why is Herbstreit always included in this list? And Galloway, too? Herbstreit has been generally supportive of TCU ever since he covered the TCU Rose Bowl. He picked the Frogs to win the B12 and as a candidate for the CFP this year.

It is so easy to find talking heads who are much more anti-B12 and anti-TCU than Herbstreit.

Wexahu

If you want a real champion, it's just that simple. And that's how it should be. A true playoff giving a larger group of teams a shot. Best team wins. Period.

16 is just way too many. 32 would be totally ridiculous. For me 8 is the sweet spot but 4 is better than 16. I'm not as sold on the auto bids for the P5 champs as some people but that would be ok, 5 guaranteed spots plus 3 at-large.

College football has the best regular season in sports because the outcome of every game is critical. Expand it too much and the only really important games down the stretch would involve teams that don't really have much chance of winning it all anyway, those teams in the 10-20 range. I like the idea of the National Champion being determined by what happens throughout the season and not just how they do in a 3 or 4 game playoff. It's cool that the first game of the year carries almost as much weight as the last couple games of the season, that's what makes the sport great.

Frog-in-law1995

Why is Herbstreit always included in this list? And Galloway, too? Herbstreit has been generally supportive of TCU ever since he covered the TCU Rose Bowl. He picked the Frogs to win the B12 and as a candidate for the CFP this year.

It is so easy to find talking heads who are much more anti-B12 and anti-TCU than Herbstreit.

He talked up Ohio State big time for the playoff in 14. But generally, I agree he is supportive. And probably the best TV analyst out there. Plus, he seems like a really good guy in a position where a lot of guys in his shoes might not be.

Dogfrog

The espn panel this morning had little to say about TCU. The theme was the Big 12 is in the biggest trouble of all conferences with regard a playoff appearance. The OU loss to ISU hurt the conference and TCU needed OU to remain undefeated. Skepticism that TCU remains undefeated, etc.

tcumaniac

Can't watch... what did he say?

He gave a very sarcastic speech talking about how ridiculous our playoff system (well lack thereof is). Basically said the NCAA acts as if it's too complicated to implement a playoff larger than 4 teams, but then he debunks this claim by going through every level of football from the city park to the NFL, and breaks down how D1 college football is essentially the only level of football that is too stupid to implement a real playoff system.

Wexahu

He talked up Ohio State big time for the playoff in 14. But generally, I agree he is supportive. And probably the best TV analyst out there. Plus, he seems like a really good guy in a position where a lot of guys in his shoes might not be.

Well, they did end up winning the whole thing in pretty convincing fashion. Could it possibly be that he was just right? Or is that not possible since he went to Ohio State. If Ohio State really does have the best team is he allowed to say so?

I don't really care who he thinks is good or who he thinks isn't good, that's just an opinion and everyone has one and is entitled to it. He's very good at what he does, much better than other guys in his position.

Wexahu

The espn panel this morning had little to say about TCU. The theme was the Big 12 is in the biggest trouble of all conferences with regard a playoff appearance. The OU loss to ISU hurt the conference and TCU needed OU to remain undefeated. Skepticism that TCU remains undefeated, etc.

As it stands right now that is true. The Big 12 has one team left that has a "mulligan", every other conference has two teams with a mulligan. That OU loss did hurt the conference's chances because the team that probably had the best chance lost a game they were favored by 4 TDs in.

I mean, what were they supposed to say? Sometimes the truth hurts. I still say a 1-loss Big 12 champion will get in the playoffs, I'd bet good money on it. It;s just now the chances of having a 1-loss Big 12 champion are lower than what they were a week ago.

Limey Frog

They did win it all, remember? The deserved a spot. The injustice wasn't their being in, but there not being enough spots for every team that did.

dawg

When the Big10 misses the playoff, then we will see a push for 8. Not before then.

I, for one, would love to see Notre Dame* get in at the expense of a B1G team. Delaney's head would explode, and it would be a glorious sight. That's the only way we will see 8 teams.

*Disclaimer: my personal opinion is that only conference champs should be considered for the CFP. Want in, ND? Join a conference.

DelFrog

The facts relative to other NCAA DI Championships..

number of schools / number of playoff/tournament participants / percentage

Basketball - 351/ 64/.18%
Baseball - 298/64/ .21%
Hockey - 60/16/ .26%
DII football - 169/24/.14%
FCS - 124/24/.19%

FBS - 129/4/.03%