• The KillerFrogs

Liberty Bowl Game Day Thread

Pharm Frog

JimSwinkLives! said:
This. For the most part, UGA had really good coverage today. Hill had to either check down or run for his life. That being said, he did miss a wide open Slanina at one point late in the first half. There might have been a couple more, but that's the only one I clearly saw.
Missed Turpin twice most notably on the non-targeting targeting play

LisaLT

PurplFrawg said:
Some of you need to back off on the personal attacks on other members.  In case you haven't read the rules, this one applies:

4. DO NOT engage in personal attacks on other members. You know that we want and encourage healthy debate, but childish insults, names,etc will bring down the thunder. While we love visitors from other schools, we are not going to cut them any slack in this department.
Everyone is disappointed and taking it out on one another. A no Princess Leia photo to boot. What a non-win day all around lmao.

DeuceBoogieNights

Two things I don't get.

1. What have you seen from Kenny Hill that makes you think he will be any better next season?

2. Why do people think Robinson should redshirt? It doesn't happen all the time but we see freshman QBs come in make impacts on their teams and have success.

Moose Stuff

DeuceBoogieNights said:
Two things I don't get.

1. What have you seen from Kenny Hill that makes you think he will be any better next season?

2. Why do people think Robinson should redshirt? It doesn't happen all the time but we see freshman QBs come in make impacts on their teams and have success.
Hill is only better if the OL is better. And pretty much everyone who has actually seen Robinson play wants him to play next year. He is superior to Hill in every possible physical way important to being a good QB so it just comes down to leadership/grasping the offense.

CountryFrog

DeuceBoogieNights said:
Two things I don't get.

1. No reason to think he'll be much better next season but if he can just cut down slightly on turnovers and the guys around him improve then the offense can be better.

2. I'm not ruling out Robinson as a possibility but it's incredibly rare that a team can be really good with a true freshman QB. Sure, it happens sometimes, but usually you get what UGA got with their guy who was the top QB recruit in the country if not something even worse.

Mean Purple

DeuceBoogieNights said:
Two things I don't get.
Can't base it on what we saw this year. Just gotta hope he can develop in off season. A lot of throwing drills and self film study needed.

TCURiggs

Mean Purple said:
Since you asked...he was getting around 3+ seconds quite a bit.. And even in the post game, he said he should have gotten rid of the ball.

And offensive lines today are playing a different game than they were even 10 years ago. The game is way faster. If our line was such a mess, explain how they got running room and Kenny was able to step up. Even when he takes off he needs to know how to dump the ball.

Line was not the major issue today.

Do you think he's going to go up there and say "well, our OL sucked REALLY bad today so I had to try to make some things happen at times and it didn't work out"?

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this. If you think that line play wasn't a major issue, we have very different football-standards. 

TCURiggs

Moose Stuff said:
Hill is only better if the OL is better. And pretty much everyone who has actually seen Robinson play wants him to play next year. He is superior to Hill in every possible physical way important to being a good QB so it just comes down to leadership/grasping the offense.

CountryFrog said:
1. No reason to think he'll be much better next season but if he can just cut down slightly on turnovers and the guys around him improve then the offense can be better.

2. I'm not ruling out Robinson as a possibility but it's incredibly rare that a team can be really good with a true freshman QB. Sure, it happens sometimes, but usually you get what UGA got with their guy who was the top QB recruit in the country if not something even worse.

Agree 100% with these posts. I think Hill is what he is... a pretty talented guy who can win plenty of games with a decent supporting cast. I don't think his supporting cast was even decent for most of this year, so if the OL and WRs just play average to slightly above average, our offense could be MUCH better next season. I think Robinson has a much higher ceiling than Hill, but it's just a question of him adjusting to our offense and the speed of the FBS game. That's hard to do for a true freshman QB, but I'd be thrilled if he can pull it off. 

LisaLT

I assume next season the QB position is an open competition. If Robinson were to impress the coaches enough why wouldn't they start him?

Hill can improve his mechanics and one hopes his skill level would improve one year to the next. The one big thing that concerns me about Hill is whether he can improve his decision making and reads. You only have a few seconds to react in most cases. I saw him make some terrific throws today - to receivers that were blanketed. And I saw some wide open targets that I can't believe he missed. Makes me wonder how he scans the field.

I don't know what is going to happen next year but no QB will have an easy time of it unless they get better protection. Change the OL coach dammit. :)

FBallFan123

DeuceBoogieNights said:
Two things I don't get.

1. Almost the entire offense comes back next season (hopefully including a healthy Nixon)....if nothing else, I'd expect Hill would improve just from the talent around him improving. Plus, I think he'll run a lot more, for a lot more yards next season.

2. Because I'd rather have his fourth year available later on, and not put a freshman on the road in 6 times. Plus, let him physically develop and mature a bit before playing.