• The KillerFrogs

Kansas vs TCU game thread

Froggy Style

Who are these "athletic" centers? Personally, I like the enthusiasm but I think your purple colored glasses are thick.

I'm seeing very clearly. Simple math has us winning this game by 5-10. OU by 10-15.

We have 7 guys shooting over 50%. Six of those shoot >44% from three point land. Those are AMAZING stats. Who are the outliers?

ARob:
FGs: 36-98 36.7% 3pt FG: 4-26 15%
JD Miller: 3 Pt: 9-32 28%

If these two guys just pass the ball or drive to the basket (they both shoot 50% from 2pt land) when they are outside of the arc to one of the other SIX FREAKING PEOPLE who are shooting over 50% and over 44% from three point land, we win 5 of our last 10 conference games, maybe 7. As it stands, we have lost nine of our past 10. Many by less than 5 points.

Vlad shoots 5-10, and goes 10-10 from the free throw line and everyone is upset that he had an off night at 20 points. If Arob and JDM pass their three point shots for Vlad/teammates (Arob and JD went a predictable 0-7), then Vlad & Co have an extra 7-15 points. More than likely, it is more because you aren't always under pressure to come from behind due to turning the ball over on missed shots from bad shooters.

Last edited:

bleedpurple

I'm seeing very clearly. Simple math has us winning this game by 5-10. OU by 10-15.

We have 7 guys shooting over 50%. Six of those shoot >44% from three point land. Those are AMAZING stats. Who are the outliers?

ARob:

If these two guys just pass the ball or drive to the basket (they both shoot 50% from 2pt land) when they are outside of the arc to one of the other SIX FREAKING PEOPLE who are shooting over 50% and over 44% from three point land, we win 5 of our last 10 conference games, maybe 7. As it stands, we have lost nine of our past 10. Many by less than 5 points.

Vlad shoots 5-10, and goes 10-10 from the free throw line and everyone is upset that he had an off night at 20 points. If Arob and JDM pass their three point shots for Vlad (Arob and JD went a predictable 0-7), then Vlad & Co have an extra 7-15 points. More than likely, it is more because you aren't always under pressure to come from behind due to turning the ball over on missed shots from bad shooters.
I thought you were seeing very clearly

TCURiggs

ARob:

Vlad shoots 5-10, and goes 10-10 from the free throw line and everyone is upset that he had an off night at 20 points. If Arob and JDM pass their three point shots for Vlad/teammates (Arob and JD went a predictable 0-7), then Vlad & Co have an extra 7-15 points. More than likely, it is more because you aren't always under pressure to come from behind due to turning the ball over on missed shots from bad shooters.

Kansas was favored by 3 last night, btw.

Froggy Style

I think of a “great” team as one that making the Final Four should be a given (and if they don’t, it’s a massive disappointment)...that is NOT this team.
I can't tell you how sorry I am that I used the term great when that doesn't meet your definition.

I'd say this is easily a sweet sixteen team and undefeated right now if AR stops shooting 3's...and that is pretty freaking good in my estimation.

I am a Jayhawk and Horned Frog Alum. When TCU entered the Big 12, I easily decided I would divide my loyalties by cheering for TCU during football season and KU during basketball season. Coach Dixon and his team are making this very hard. TCU is only going to get better. Enjoy the ride! Looking forward to how the Frogs do against KU in February. Big 12 basketball is ferocious and Allen Fieldhouse is the belly of the beast.

Last edited:

Froggy Style

I don't think simple math really works in sports
Dumb.

There's a reason stats are kept and poured over by coaches. They tell the story of the game, the trends, and where you need to improve.

If Isaiah Graham or Eric Porter drops 50% of the balls thrown to them, they are benched as dropping balls is really bad for your offense.
If your QB throws INT's on 40% of his passes, you may need a new QB because interceptions are really bad.
If your point guard shoots 15% on his three point attempts on the year against the bad opponents, then you should shut him down as he is simply a poor shooter. 15% is really bad.

Stats and math don't lie. If you don't understand math and sports, then you're a bit naïve or extremely disingenuous.

TCURiggs

Dumb.

There's a reason stats are kept and poured over by coaches. They tell the story of the game, the trends, and where you need to improve.

If Isaiah Graham or Eric Porter drops 50% of the balls thrown to them, they are benched as dropping balls is really bad for your offense.
If your QB throws INT's on 40% of his passes, you may need a new QB because interceptions are really bad.
If your point guard shoots 15% on his three point attempts on the year against the bad opponents, then you should shut him down as he is simply a poor shooter. 15% is really bad.

Stats and math don't lie. If you don't understand math and sports, then you're a bit naïve or extremely disingenuous.

Of course stats are important and mean something, but I think you're way too hung up on the whole "simple" thing. In the middle of an intense game players aren't breaking down statistics and percentages in their heads. Robinson isn't a good 3-point shooter, but I still expect him to take a few wide open looks from time to time, like he did last night. He's not the guy we'll draw up a 3-point play for, but he's still going to take a few.

TCUownstheBig12

I can't tell you how sorry I am that I used the term great when that doesn't meet your definition.

I'd say this is easily a sweet sixteen team and undefeated right now if AR stops shooting 3's...and that is pretty freaking good in my estimation.

I’m glad you think that this is “easily” a Sweet 16 team. Yikes.

tcumaniac

I am a Jayhawk and Horned Frog Alum. When TCU entered the Big 12, I easily decided I would divide my loyalties by cheering for TCU during football season and KU during basketball season. Coach Dixon and his team are making this very hard. TCU is only going to get better. Enjoy the ride! Looking forward to how the Frogs do against KU in February. Big 12 basketball is ferocious and Allen Fieldhouse is the belly of the beast.

What school did your undergrad come from?

Last edited:

FrogLifeYo

A lot of "Kansas shot lights out, they won't do that again-" sentiment in this thread. I challenge some of you to look back through game threads throughout this early season and you'll see that same statement made in about 8-10 other game threads...The problem isn't Our ability to score the basketball it's our ability to defend the three point line.

Realtorfrog

A lot of "Kansas shot lights out, they won't do that again-" sentiment in this thread. I challenge some of you to look back through game threads throughout this early season and you'll see that same statement made in about 8-10 other game threads...The problem isn't Our ability to score the basketball it's our ability to defend the three point line.

This was different. Even the Jayhawks managers behind me were commenting on some of the shots they were making. I think they got a butt chewing after how poorly they shot the ball against Tech. Laser focus last night. For us to only lose by 4 with the way they couldn’t miss was impressive. Not happy with not winning but we would have gotten beat by 30 a couple of years ago.

TCUownstheBig12

This was different. Even the Jayhawks managers behind me were commenting on some of the shots they were making. I think they got a butt chewing after how poorly they shot the ball against Tech. Laser focus last night. For us to only lose by 4 with the way they couldn’t miss was impressive. Not happy with not winning but we would have gotten beat by 30 a couple of years ago.

It’s so apparent from all of the threads that our fan base doesn’t understand basketball (or are rusty from our 20 year “break”). I hate the “they shot lights out...they wouldn’t do that again” excuse every time we lose. Sometimes they shoot lights out because we let them with our terrible d/game plan...we lost, plain and simple. We will lose a lot more this year with our perimeter defense.

Purp

This is half true. Early in the season we have up a lot of wide open 3s, but through the first few weeks opponents were missing them at a pretty high rate and our 3 point defense was actually very good statistically. Our 3 point defense continues to worry me, but our inability to score last night was every bit as much the difference in the game as our perimeter D. We out-rebounded them by a wide margin, especially on the offensive glass, but weren't able to to make all of those extra opportunities count.

Moose Stuff

Dumb.

When attempting to piece together an argument it helps if you know our players’ names or use stats that could actually happen. INTs on 40% of his passes???

FrogLifeYo

This is half true. Early in the season we have up a lot of wide open 3s, but through the first few weeks opponents were missing them at a pretty high rate and our 3 point defense was actually very good statistically. Our 3 point defense continues to worry me, but our inability to score last night was every bit as much the difference in the game as our perimeter D. We out-rebounded them by a wide margin, especially on the offensive glass, but weren't able to to make all of those extra opportunities count.
We certainly settled for a lot of really bad 3's...several critical misses in the last 3 minutes sealed our fate.