• The KillerFrogs

jonny come lately

hindry

i admit to getting interested at this late date

so what's the diffference between Final 4 and NIT?

a fellow frog likened NIT to winning Miss Congeniality.

what's the skinny?

GoFrog Yourself

what's the skinny?
It's kinda like getting rejected by the hot girl at the bar but you take her attractive friend home instead. It's a good time and a nice confidence boost, but you'd rather be with the first option

MAcFroggy

It is kind of like making a lower tier bowl in college football. Yeah, the liberty bowl was fun, but at the end of the day we would prefer to be in one of the CFP games. It is good experience, extra practice, and probably a fun time for the players and coaches, but at the end of the day it does not really mean all that much.

Keep it in perspective. It is GREAT to still be playing basketball at this late date and it will pay dividends next year due to the extra practices and games. But don't be deluded by the sunshine pumpers. The winner of this Tournament gets to claim they are the 65th best team in the country. (64 teams better than the NIT Champ were invited to the NCAA Tournament, while the NIT Champ was not good enough to get invited to the NCAA Tournament). Being in NIT helps for next year though, so it aint all bad.

Ray Finkle

If you are Gregg Marshall at Wichita State, you can win the NIT and make a backhanded remark about KU being "chickenhawks" (who lost in the Elite 8 that year) and look like a classless dumbass.

Yes, happy to have the opportunity but it shows we didn't have a good enough entire regular season to be worthy of an invite to the better party.

Last edited:

Chico Dusty

Keep it in perspective. It is GREAT to still be playing basketball at this late date and it will pay dividends next year due to the extra practices and games. But don't be deluded by the sunshine pumpers. The winner of this Tournament gets to claim they are the 65th best team in the country. (64 teams better than the NIT Champ were invited to the NCAA Tournament, while the NIT Champ was not good enough to get invited to the NCAA Tournament). Being in NIT helps for next year though, so it aint all bad.

This is not true because we're a better team then some of those 64 - some of the teams that made the big dance were automatic bids from mid-major conferences.

f_399

This is TCU basketball in the NIT final.

I think it's more like Kansas football making a bowl game. Means more than TCU football going to a regular bowl game.

TCU football going to a regular bowl game is like Iowa State going to the NIT final.

Limp Lizard

The best analogy is of a lesser-tier bowl game. But this is the further you go, the higher the game. Losing in the third round would be like going to the Armed Forces Bowl game, winning last night would be like winning the Liberty Bowl, and winning it all would be like winning the Sun Bowl in '98. Not a "big" game, but very important to the rise of the program. Maybe some of you can give some better examples.

And I disagree about being the 64th best team, since some pretty weak teams make it in the tourney due to winning their minor tier conference and are one-and out. I could see oh say 8 teams who would have no chance of making it to Manhattan. But several teams have automatic bids every year who are pretty weak teams. I have no problem with that, but not all the teams in the NIT can easily be considered weaker than many auto bid teams.

SnoSki

I think the NIT champ (with other factors considered) could be considered one of the top 30ish teams in the land. Not amazing but certainly better than the autobid teams that get in from the SWAC, etc.

Bob

what's the skinny?
The skinny is your pecker. The Final 4 were your last chances at success in life. The NIT is the oldest basketball tournament in the nation and TCU is playing for the championship, on national TV, with it's name on the billboard in New York City.

Miss Congeniality was your mother. Guess how she got the title.

cleolucy

I compare it nationally to the Division 2 football playoffs. Important to the teams and fan bases playing but only really watched on the championship game night.

Froginbedford

But don't lose sight of the fact that being where the Frogs are in the NIT today, they are the only Texas and only Big 12 team playing after last night...and on this Thursday....Go Frogs....And it is by label a national tournament and the championship is a national stage title....

BABYFACE

Not entirely true. Yes, being in the NIT is better than no tournament. Winning the NIT does not make the Champ the 65th best team. The NCAA is not about the best 65 teams due to auto bids for teams that win their respective conference tournaments. After, auto bids, then the committee does its best in handing out bids to the most deserving teams that didn't win their conference tournament.

TCU and GT are definitely better teams than some of those auto bids. But, I don't have a problem with the process. Win your conference tournament or put up a body of work where the selection committee can't leave you out.

BABYFACE

I think the NIT champ (with other factors considered) could be considered one of the top 30ish teams in the land. Not amazing but certainly better than the autobid teams that get in from the SWAC, etc.

Yep, that little fact is lost on some here.