• The KillerFrogs

I Guess No News On Cumbie's Interview This AM

flyfishingfrog

cheese83 said:
Haha you guys barely beat a team that was running a guy named Lynx at QB. He was a WR who played a little QB in middle school.
Actually let's be specific, they barely beat a team that was really playing NO ONE at QB for most of the second half and lucky for UT the clock ran out because their D couldn't stop a van full of nuns the entire half.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Prediction: Sonny said no, but instead of making a big stink of everything with him turning it down, he's going to let the news be broken when UT announces who they do hire.

Moose Stuff

RollToad said:
Prediction: Sonny said no, but instead of making a big stink of everything with him turning it down, he's going to let the news be broken when UT announces who they do hire.
IF Sonny ends up not being their OC you can take it to the bank that the story will NOT be reported by anyone associated with UT as Sonny declined the offer.

Dogfrog

RollToad said:
Not sure he said no, but if he did this wouldn't surprise me. The thing that did surprise me from the start was UT openly naming Sonny as their #1 target. That normally doesn't happen unless they already know the answer. Still not necessarily over though.

frogs9497

Moose Stuff said:
I would not assume that.
I'm not taking it to the bank, but I'm assuming they have their answer regardless of whether Cumbie has formally declined.  I'll be surprised if Cumbie accepts after they interview the Tulsa guy.  But I've been surprised before.

Reptilian

When I heard SC was recruiting yesterday I thought that was a good sign for us. I would think GP would have told him to take some time off pending his decision unless he felt pretty sure he was staying. No doubt recruits knew he was in play and SC visiting them would have raised some awkward questions/situations.

Stranger things have happened though.

MBAFrog

Tier 1
Here's my take on this whole thing.

FIRST... Let's stop talking about hospitals and helicopters and/or supporting whatever garbage is coming out of Bevo.com

SECOND... I was reading Chuck Carlton's article the DMN this morning.   The article itself is not that important.  Focus on the photo between Strong and our GMFP.   Does that look like a head coach (Strong) who thinks at any time in the near future his uterus (longhorns) are going to be where anywhere close to where TCU is (program wise)?

I am pretty sure no-one on Kfc.com or Bevo.com were in pre-game prep meetings the last two years when these two programs played.  I believe our dear Off Cord. is fully aware just how over their head the entire UT football program is AND realizes anyone walking in there is going to need more than one year to get the players, install the system, coach them up ect.    Strong & staff simply do not have that kind of time. It's the entitlement culture there that worked for them the prior few decades.  Not any more.  It's a disease they won't be able to get rid of easily.  They don't know hard work.  The kind of hard work TCU alumni, fans, players have been focused on for 15 years now.

Quick rebuttal might be.. but "we're Texas and we have players".  Sorry, no you don't.  We (and Baylor) have been out recruiting and developing them for some time now.  See our humble QB deuce boogie. 

Conclusion: TCU program has been building towards it's destiny (National Championship) for over a decade now.  A key step in this progress is to become the 5000 pound gorilla in the state.  We are dealing with Baylor on the field.  ATM I am sorry, you simply no longer matter (really to anyone) as you will take your rightful place as SEC whipping boy.  Dragging this out only hurts UT, and hurts them bad.  Nail in the coffin bad.  Remember, there are decades of UT t-shirt fans we have to humble.  In NO WAY do I believe our coaches are vindictive.  This is just something that needs to be done to ensure our destiny.

#gofrogs

Moose Stuff

Reptilian said:
When I heard SC was recruiting yesterday I thought that was a good sign for us. I would think GP would have told him to take some time off pending his decision unless he felt pretty sure he was staying. No doubt recruits knew he was in play and SC visiting them would have raised some awkward questions/situations.

Stranger things have happened though.
I'm trying not to assume anything but that was odd to me if Sonny was still considering taking the UT job. We'll probably never hear this whole story but I bet it's very interesting.

BABYFACE

As many here that have stated that have kids, when the wife makes all her pregnancy plans, they tend not want to change them.

Lomez

Dogfrog said:
The thing that did surprise me from the start was UT openly naming Sonny as their #1 target. That normally doesn't happen unless they already know the answer. 

Remember, this is UT.  Like with Saban, they assumed they knew the answer.

Waccy Frog

MBAFrog said:
Here's my take on this whole thing.

FIRST... Let's stop talking about hospitals and helicopters and/or supporting whatever garbage is coming out of Bevo.com

SECOND... I was reading Chuck Carlton's article the DMN this morning.   The article itself is not that important.  Focus on the photo between Strong and our GMFP.   Does that look like a head coach (Strong) who thinks at any time in the near future his uterus (longhorns) are going to be where anywhere close to where TCU is (program wise)?

I am pretty sure no-one on Kfc.com or Bevo.com were in pre-game prep meetings the last two years when these two programs played.  I believe our dear Off Cord. is fully aware just how over their head the entire UT football program is AND realizes anyone walking in there is going to need more than one year to get the players, install the system, coach them up ect.    Strong & staff simply do not have that kind of time. It's the entitlement culture there that worked for them the prior few decades.  Not any more.  It's a disease they won't be able to get rid of easily.  They don't know hard work.  The kind of hard work TCU alumni, fans, players have been focused on for 15 years now.

Quick rebuttal might be.. but "we're Texas and we have players".  Sorry, no you don't.  We (and Baylor) have been out recruiting and developing them for some time now.  See our humble QB deuce boogie. 

Conclusion: TCU program has been building towards it's destiny (National Championship) for over a decade now.  A key step in this progress is to become the 5000 pound gorilla in the state.  We are dealing with Baylor on the field.  ATM I am sorry, you simply no longer matter (really to anyone) as you will take your rightful place as SEC whipping boy.  Dragging this out only hurts UT, and hurts them bad.  Nail in the coffin bad.  Remember, there are decades of UT t-shirt fans we have to humble.  In NO WAY do I believe our coaches are vindictive.  This is just something that needs to be done to ensure our destiny.

#gofrogs
Huh?

cdsfrog

Moose Stuff said:
I guess we can assume Sonny isn't accepting the job during this guys interview.

I'm cautious about this and I don't feel 100% that said this tells me UT is very worried. They are willing to risk him saying no just because of this to get a jump on an elite candidate. In some ways the Tulsa guy might be a better fit for them anyways.

He's a homerun hire for most programs. Obviously in our case I would never want the Tulsa guy unless Meach and Cumbie left but he would be first on my wish list if they did.

cdsfrog

Frog-in-law1995 said:
True, but they also tend not to get offered $3.9 million.

I mean we're talking about a difference of barely a million and change. House prices are more than double what they are here, living expenses across the board are higher, lower quality of life, more pressure, more time away from home. That 3.9 versus our number basically becomes nothing when you factor that in.

Moose Stuff

cdsfrog said:

I'm cautious about this and I don't feel 100% that said this tells me UT is very worried. They are willing to risk him saying no just because of this to get a jump on an elite candidate. In some ways the Tulsa guy might be a better fit for them anyways.

He's a homerun hire for most programs. Obviously in our case I would never want the Tulsa guy unless Meach and Cumbie left but he would be first on my wish list if they did.
Tulsa guy may also be a strong candidate elsewhere. Horns possibly at risk of losing both if they don't act?