• The KillerFrogs

Hyman on his time at A&M: 'They would say things and do things that are mind-boggling'

NetFrog2

Some hot sports opinions from the former TCU AD on his time at A&M, including the statement that the decision to pay Sumlin $5m/yr for six years was made over his head. Other quotes:

"There are some things that I felt because of my ethical standards I was not a good fit."

"There were situations they did not let the athletic director do their job. People there wanted to run the athletic department and not let the athletic director do it. It was so political. Because of that it’s made it difficult to achieve of what you wanted to do."

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article174596706.html

Atomic Frawg

Interesting that he went on the record with all those comments. Things must be really bad down there, I would think, for him to comment as he did. Otherwise, why bother and bring on the heat. If I'm not mistaken, I recall seeing him at various TCU sporting events last year. Did he move back up here?

Armadillo

I really appreciate what EH did for TCU.

But he's a perfect example of "THE GRASS IS NOT ALWAYS GREENER" theory of college athletics.

I'd also like to present Coach Fran as an exhibit of the same theory.

ps... I ❤️CDC and CGP. And also CJS and CJD.

The grass is rarely greener on the other side.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Interesting that he went on the record with all those comments. Things must be really bad down there, I would think, for him to comment as he did. Otherwise, why bother and bring on the heat. If I'm not mistaken, I recall seeing him at various TCU sporting events last year. Did he move back up here?

I believe the story said his house was near TCU.

Punter1

I agree with then concept in general, but I mean, it's A&M

They shouldn't have been crazy people. That's on them

Don't you think he knew that going in?? (Breaking News...Aggies are nuts, have always been nuts and will always be nuts.)

So...he knew they were nuts, took their big money then told the world something we all knew...to try and maybe save face??

Shut the darn up and head out to pasture. You're done as an AD after selling out your former employeer.

Deep Purple

I really appreciate what EH did for TCU.

But he's a perfect example of "THE GRASS IS NOT ALWAYS GREENER" theory of college athletics.

I'd also like to present Coach Fran as an exhibit of the same theory.

Yep. And according to Gary Patterson, Fran would say the same thing: The grass is not always greener -- even if you think it is.

I read this in an interview Patterson gave about 5 years ago. I forget in what publication or website. Anyway, after Fran was hired as head FB coach at Texas State in Jan 2011, Patterson called him to offer congrats. At the time, Patterson was fresh off the Rose Bowl win over Wisconsin, and he was getting besieged by inquiries from other schools in search of a good head coach.

When he mentioned this to Fran, Dennis said, "Don't be too quick to jump on those offers. You're in a good place. The grass may look greener on the other side, but I'm here to tell you that's not always the case."

Patterson said that advice stuck with him. So I guess Fran has finally made up for his middle-of-the-night departure from TCU with no explanation to his players or recruits, and the insulting red Bama tie he wore to LT's Heisman ceremony.