• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
The problem in some HOAs is that the architectural review is made up of folks who don't really know anything about building design or evolving market demands in design. They just push for restrictions to have houses based on their personal preference. Or they push for only certain building materials. The lack of knowledge of building science can really jack that process up. New materials come out frequently.

So you end up with requirement for all brick construction, etc. And guess what, brick has maint. issues as well over time.

In the end, you get cookie cutter neighborhoods that lose the charm.

The HOA Architectural Review Committee enforces the architectural standards set forth in the Planned Unit Development documents and CCRs. They do not make decisions based on personal preferences--and if they did they would find themselves on the losing end of a lawsuit.

The PUD documents and CCRs are determined by the developer(s) in coordination with the applicable city/county planning agency. Thus all the standards (like building materials) are locked in up-front before the first house is built.

Yes, the CCRs lock-in certain building design and material choices. But, the desired end goal is to have the neighborhood look the same--and as nice--10, 20, 30, and more years down the road. Hence the positive effect on home values.

PS: My HOA has always had at least one licensed engineer on the board specifically for ARC purposes.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
I heard geezer was impeached when his son bought him a Cadillac.

Be glad you don't live in Florida. My sister lives in a condo in Boca. It is literally like a Seinfeld episode. For example they are not allowed to park a pick up truck in the complex. Even someone visiting. Seriously. Obviously that would never fly in Texico.
Ha!

I haven't seen nor heard from my son since The Bank of Dad closed.

Mean Purple

The HOA Architectural Review Committee enforces the architectural standards set forth in the Planned Unit Development documents and CCRs. They do not make decisions based on personal preferences--and if they did they would find themselves on the losing end of a lawsuit.

The PUD documents and CCRs are determined by the developer(s) in coordination with the applicable city/county planning agency. Thus all the standards (like building materials) are locked in up-front before the first house is built.

Yes, the CCRs lock-in certain building design and material choices. But, the desired end goal is to have the neighborhood look the same--and as nice--10, 20, 30, and more years down the road. Hence the positive effect on home values.

PS: My HOA has always had at least one licensed engineer on the board specifically for ARC purposes.
Sorry, should have made the point to state the two as you did. yeah, I know the process...too well. And I am not for cities getting involved in design rules that should be left up to the development and association.

Mean Purple

I wasn't a country fan in the late 90s and early aughts. There wasn't much that appealed to me, though I did like a handful of artists. Mid 2000s I started to enjoy it more. That's probably when most of you started to enjoy it less, but it gained a lot more popularity on radio. I agree, though, that the pendulum has swung far too much in the other direction and its hard to differentiate one artist from another.

The lyrics, which were always the appeal of country music in the first place, have become juvenile/immature and vacuous. I enjoyed the Colt Ford type of act when it started b/c it was unique and fun, plus I like rap and simple people from the sticks. But I don't want everyone to do it b/c it starts to feel like the #1 song on the charts that gets tired and overplayed in the first week of radio play.

I didn't watch the CMAs, but I've not been terribly interested in it for a while. I'm hoping the organic success of someone like Chris Stapleton will help swing the pendulum back to something more palatable.
Funny, listening ot the radio, just heard Ray Price. Singing "Fort Worth" made me think of this discussion. Love that song. Heck, he sings about TCU in that song.

Ron Swanson

The head nurse is the one with the knee pads right?

...should you be on HASMSP right now?

The doc came in a little bit ago and told us that everything is perfectly fine with the baby, but things are progressing slowly (which apparently is normal with inductions on first time mothers).

At this point, he isn't expecting her to give birth until sometime tomorrow morning. So we're just sitting here trying to kill hours for the time being.

Luckily she isn't in too much pain right now, so hopefully the wait won't be too miserable.

netty2424

Our head nurse is a TCU grad. That's gotta be a good omen.
I didn't get one of those for either of my kids births. Congrats! #wechosewronghospital
s9bPVaK.gif

Shorty

The doc came in a little bit ago and told us that everything is perfectly fine with the baby, but things are progressing slowly (which apparently is normal with inductions on first time mothers).

At this point, he isn't expecting her to give birth until sometime tomorrow morning. So we're just sitting here trying to kill hours for the time being.

Luckily she isn't in too much pain right now, so hopefully the wait won't be too miserable.
Sounds about right. My wife started on Pitocin at 7 am and had the baby at 11 pm. If she is planning on an epidural keep up with the anesthesiologist's whereabouts through your nurse. You don't want them in surgery once your wife is in a lot of pain.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)

This is a very special time that you'll remember forever. A time for true bonding between husband and wife, prospective father and mother.

I can still recall when my first child was born--my son.

As I comforted my wife as the labor pains grew more painful, I can remember her words:

YOU SONOFABITCH! YOU DID THIS TO ME YOU ARSEHOLE!