• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: TCU Can't Overcome Slow Start in Kansas loss

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/123117aab.html

GoFrogs: TCU Can't Overcome Slow Start in Kansas loss

Box Score | Box Score | Notes

LAWRENCE, Kan. -- The TCU women's basketball team started slow and couldn't come back in an 86-77 loss to Kansas at Allen Fieldhouse on Sunday afternoon.

TCU (9-4, 0-2) was led by Amy Okonkwo who recorded a double-double with 22 points and 10 rebounds. She was also 10-of-10 at the free throw line as TCU shot a season-high 33 free throws. The Frogs, however, shot just 39 percent from the floor while Kansas (10-3, 1-1) shot nearly 50 percent.

The Jayhawks led by 12 points after a quarter, and by as many as 15 at one point. The Frogs would cut the lead down to six points in the fourth quarter when Okonkwo scored eight consecutive points, but never got closer than that.

Three Frogs joined Okonkwo in double figures, led by 16 points from Amber Ramirez. Jordan Moore and Toree Thompson added 13 and 10 points, respectively.

Defining Moments
TCU was not sharp to start the game, committing seven turnovers with no assists in the first quarter. On the other hand, Kansas had seven assists and no turnovers and led, 27-15, after 10 minutes.

The remainder of the game was back-and-forth, but without much rhythm as the two teams combined for 43 fouls and 64 free throw attempts.

The Frogs would get back into the game in the fourth quarter when Okonkwo scored eight straight points. The Frogs had possession down six points, 75-69, with 5:00 remaining, but after a turnover Kansas shot free throws on its next two possessions to push the lead back up to nine points.

Stat of the Game
19 -- Of Kansas' 22 points off of turnovers, 19 came in the first half. The Frogs finished the day with a season-high 20 turnovers, including 12 in the first half.

Quote of the Game
"Kansas I think just outplayed us. They came ready to work a lot harder and that is really disappointing. I know our team will bounce back, and I know we'll respond the right way to it, but I don't want to take away from Kansas' performance because they clearly earned this win." - Raegan Pebley

Up Next
TCU faces a second straight road test when it travels to Oklahoma on Thursday. The Sooners opened Big 12 play with a home loss to No. 8 Texas and travel to Iowa State on Sunday before host the Frogs.

LVH

So a loss to the only team to finish below our WBB team last year in the Big 12 standings. What is the moral victory spin on this one?

Should have never run off Mittie. Didn't take him long to get a last place Kansas State team back into the Top 25 and winning NCAA tournament games, meanwhile, our current coach inherited a talented roster that was one win away from making the women's NCAA tourney in Mittie's last year and hasn't gotten in.

Meanwhile all I hear is how our WBB program is on the up and up and how great recruiting is but its not translating to wins. This team has gotten worse every year since Mittie left.