• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: M. Tennis Scores Win No. 10

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/m-tennis/recaps/032217aaa.html

GoFrogs: M. Tennis Scores Win No. 10

Final Stats | Photo Gallery
media-icon-photogallery.gif

FORT WORTH, Texas – The No. 19 TCU men’s tennis team ran out to a big lead and never looked back as they picked up win No. 10 of the season with a 5-2 victory over No. 25 Illinois on Monday night at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center in Fort Worth.

The Horned Frogs (10-4) won their fifth straight match and seventh out of their last eight by dominating doubles against the Illini (9-6) before securing the win on four of the singles courts. Jerry Lopez and Cameron Norrie scored the first win of the day and picked up a 6-1 win over No. 23 Aleks Vukic and Aron Hiltzik to start the match. The No. 21 pair of Guillermo Nuñez and Alex Rybakov finished off the doubles point with a 6-2 win on court two as the Frogs have won the doubles point in four of the last five matches.

TCU was able to grab the first set on all six courts as No. 78 Nuñez put the Frogs’ lead at 2-0 with a 6-1, 6-4 victory on court three. Reese Stalder put together his third straight win and gave TCU a 3-0 lead with a 6-2, 6-3 win on court five before No. 81 Jerry Lopez clinched the match with a straight-set win of his own on court four. After the match was decided, No. 27 Rybakov won his 12th straight match and fifth over a ranked opponent with a 6-2, 6-1 win on court two.

Quotes from the Match
Head Coach David Roditi

“This was a very impressive win for us to beat Illinois like that. I was really worried about the first match back home after a spring break trip that we were very successful on. I was kind of worried as a coach for a letdown, but I am proud of the guys because they showed up and did a good job especially in doubles. That is the best doubles that we have played all year so I was really happy with that. Then the performance by (Alex) Rybakov at No. 2 to beat a guy like Aron (Hiltzik) like that is impressive. I have a lot of respect for Aron and all the Illini and for us to win straight-set matches like that is a good sign.

“There are some things that we can do better. Our attitude wasn’t the best in some places. We let some opportunities go and as we go through the season and we get into our top matches on the road against top teams, we have to capitalize on those opportunities. There are always ways to get better but there is absolutely no doubt that I am happy to get this win and also to celebrate Kelubia Mabatah who has had an unbelievable battle the last two or three years. We are so proud of him and happy to have him here among friends. It puts everything into perspective. We are happy to be out here representing TCU and we will be ready for a super tough match at home against Texas A&M. They are on fire right now so we will see what we can do. Hopefully we will get a huge crowd on Monday.”

Match Results
Illinois vs TCU
Mar 22, 2017 at Fort Worth, Texas
(Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center)
#19 TCU 5, #25 Illinois 2

Singles competition
1. #20 Aleks Vukic (ILL) def. #3 Cameron Norrie (TCU) 6-7 (2-7), 6-3, 10-6
2. #27 Alex Rybakov (TCU) def. #30 Aron Hiltzik (ILL) 6-2, 6-1
3. #78 Guillermo Nuñez (TCU) def. Gui Gomes (ILL) 6-1, 6-4
4. #81 Jerry Lopez (TCU) def. Aleks Kovacevic (ILL) 7-5, 6-2
5. Reese Stalder (TCU) def. Julian Childers (ILL) 6-2, 6-3
6. Zeke Clark (ILL) def. Hudson Blake (TCU) 3-6, 6-2, 2-0, retired

Doubles competition
1. Jerry Lopez/Cameron Norrie (TCU) def. #23 Aleks Vukic/Aron Hiltzik (ILL) 6-1
2. Reese Stalder/Hudson Blake (TCU) vs. Alex Jesse/Aleks Kovacevic (ILL) 5-2, unfinished
3. #21 Guillermo Nuñez/Alex Rybakov (TCU) def. Gui Gomes/Zeke Clark (ILL) 6-2

Match Notes:
Illinois 9-6; National ranking #25
TCU 10-4; National ranking #19
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (3,5,4,2,6,1)
A-682

Up Next
TCU will continue action at home as they welcome No. 8 Texas A&M to the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center on Monday, March 27 at 5:30 p.m.

Last edited:

jake102

Any thoughts on what happened to Cam?

He played one of two players in college tennis who are on level with him. And they just played a tiebreaker for the 3rd set, so kind of hard to make a decision.

Torpegaard, Norrie and Vukic are the three best players in college tennis regardless of what the rankings say.