GoFrogs: Frogs Bounce Back, Beat Bears in OT

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/010218aaa.html

GoFrogs: Frogs Bounce Back, Beat Bears in OT

Final Stats | Quotes | Notes | Photo Gallery
media-icon-photogallery.gif
PDF Box Score

WACO, Texas (AP) Vladimir Brodziansky had 18 points, including the go-ahead 3-pointer in overtime, as No. 16 TCU bounced back from its first loss with an 81-78 victory at Baylor on Tuesday night.

The Horned Frogs (13-1, 1-1 Big 12), after losing a 12-point lead in the second half, went ahead to stay on Brodziansky's 3 from the top of the key with 1:29 left in overtime that made it 75-74. They stretched the lead on an inside shot by Kouat Noi, who punctuated the win with a breakaway slam on an inbounds pass from Kenrich Williams, who is from Waco.

Jo Lual-Acuil had 28 points and 11 rebounds for Baylor (10-4, 0-2), which had a 14-0 run in the second half after giving up an 11-0 spurt before the break. Terry Maston had 20 points and nine rebounds.

All five TCU starters scored in double figures. Jaylen Fisher had 15 points, JD Miller had 13, Williams 12 and Desmond Bane 10.

Baylor's Jake Lindsey drove for a layup with 17 seconds left in regulation to tie the game at 64. TCU had plenty of time, but Bane's open 3-pointer from the right wing ricocheted off the rim as time ran out.

BIG PICTURE

TCU: While it was the 182nd meeting in the series between the instate rivals, this was TCU's first Big 12 win in 12 tries since the Horned Frogs joined the conference five years ago.

Baylor: The Bears were much more themselves with the 7-foot Lual-Acuil back after he missed the Big 12 opener because of a sprained left foot. After their worst rebounding margin in 10 years, with Texas Tech outrebounding them by 18, Baylor had a 45-34 margin over TCU.

UP NEXT

TCU is home to play No. 10 Kansas, their first meeting since the Horned Frogs upset the then-No. 1 Jayhawks in the Big 12 Tournament last March.

Baylor is home Saturday to play Texas, then play five of its next seven games after that on the road through the end of January.

++++++++++++

Postgame Quotes

TCU Head Coach Jamie Dixon
Opening statement…
“Welcome to Big 12. As I tell our guys, every game is going to be like this, obviously. We lost a 1-pointer with a 13-point lead, and this time we had a 12-point lead and they fought back and battled as you might expect. We certainly should understand that, but obviously an entertaining, hard fought game against two really good teams. I’m proud of our guys, proud of how we fought back and got down and battled through it. We did some good things, we did really good against their zone early, they got out of it and went man. It hurt us late in the game in the second half when they made their run. I don’t know why we got stationary and played a little soft on our heels and didn’t finish around the basket, but then as the game went on into the end of the second half and overtime we did a good job of attacking it and getting after inside touches and finishing, which was key. Again, they hurt us inside with the bigs and we were in foul trouble and our guys were really playing no defense inside because of the foul trouble, so we have to figure out something there, but guarded the guys, Lecomte and McClure, all four perimeter guys, five perimeter guys, counting Shawn, were responsible for that. A lot of good things with getting a win down here. Going to be 16 more just like it.”

On avoiding an 0-2 start…
“If we lose by 1, it doesn’t change who you are as far as how we think of ourselves because you are losing a 1-point game. You know you can be anybody, you know you can win those games, but we won it and got it done and I think we have to address the fact that we had a 12-point lead, 13-point lead and these teams tend to get more aggressive down with that lead we have and we have to respond to it in a better way and finish it out. That’s the biggest thing we can take away from this, but this thing is going to be and what has been called the strongest conference from top to bottom. The numbers from the preseason non-conference indicate that, so like I said, there are going to be 16 more.”

On transition defense game against Oklahoma then Baylor…
“It’s two different teams, so we are talking about two different styles of play, so they did what they wanted to do as far as getting the ball inside and Acuil didn’t play last game and all the sudden he is getting 28, so we knew they were a better team than the other day because Maston his first game back had looked like he hadn’t played in a while and then all of a sudden he has 20. You know we took away the three’s which is what we wanted to do, we didn’t want them to 28 and 20 between those two guys, but given the foul trouble there wasn’t a lot we could do.”

Senior Kenrich Williams
On the game being a must win…
“Oh yeah, definitely. Definitely after the tough loss on Saturday. We rise together and we practice hard and we said we were going to get this one and we got it done.”

On playing in his hometown for the final time and getting a win…
“I can’t even explain the feeling. I’m just thanking the guys in the locker room because I haven’t beat Baylor. Every time I come back home, in the past 3 years, we are getting beat by 20, so for us to get this win and play like they (TCU’s team) did, I appreciate what they did for me.”

Junior JD Miller
On getting the ball down low…
“Coach emphasized during timeout to go inside out. You know, we have to go inside the scorer and that’s what we did down the stretch and at the end.”

On Jo Lual-Acuil…
“He is a tremendous player. On the low block, he’s hard to stop with his little jump hook over the left shoulder, he is hard to stop. We just tried to maintain him. He didn’t completely affect our offense, but he did deteriorate it.”

++++++++++++

Team Notes
* TCU defeated Baylor for the first time since Dec. 7, 2002 when the Frogs defeated Baylor in Waco, 72-64. TCU had lost 11-straight against BU.
* This was the 182nd all-time meeting between the Frogs and the Bears. The series between TCU and Baylor is the second-most played series for TCU behind SMU (192). Baylor leads the series 100-82.
* The Frogs have won 20 of their last 23 games dating back to last season.
* The Frogs improved to 45-17 all-time as a ranked team, including 7-1 this season.
* TCU led 36-28 at the half against Baylor. TCU is 32-3 when leading at the half under Jamie Dixon and 12-1 this season.
* Five Frogs scored in double digits against Baylor, the 10th time TCU has had five or more players in double digits this season.
* The Frogs improved to 3-0 all-time in overtime games under Jamie Dixon. Dixon improved to 20-8 overall as a head coach in overtime games.
* TCU was 6-for-6 from the free throw line in overtime.

Individual Notes
* Jaylen Fisher scored 13 points and was 2-for-2 from the 3-point line. He has made at least one 3-pointer in 25 of his last 31 games and 38 of 48 career games.
* Desmond Bane had 10 points against the Bears and has scored 10 or more points in all but two games. Bane had a career-high six assists against Baylor, and tied his career high in steals with three.
* Kenrich Williams had 12 points against Baylor and has scored in double figures in 11 of the 13 games played this season. He had one 3-pointer. It was his ninth-straight game with a made three.
* Williams is a Waco native and attended high school at Waco University. He had roughly 20 family members present. * JD Miller had 13 points against Baylor. He has had 10 or more points in six of the last seven games.
* Vladimir Brodziansky had a team-best 18 points. He passed Damion Walker and Doug Arnold to tie Ricky Hall at 27th on TCU’s all-time scoring list with 1,060 points. Hall played for the Frogs from 1970-1972.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Any road win in this conference is a good one. Tech won at Kansas last night.

Concerned about second halves. We are soft inside. Brodz doesn't seem aggressive. We miss baskets at the rim by not being more authoritative. We need some attitude in there.

Also felt like we were standing around a lot in the second half with the ball when they fell back into their zone. Later we did seem to beat the zone and got inside more to help us overcome their lead late.

But a good road win. Need to win at home at steal some on the road.

BABYFACE

Any road win in this conference is a good one. Tech won at Kansas last night.

Concerned about second halves. We are soft inside. Brodz doesn't seem aggressive. We miss baskets at the rim by not being more authoritative. We need some attitude in there.

Also felt like we were standing around a lot in the second half with the ball when they fell back into their zone. Later we did seem to beat the zone and got inside more to help us overcome their lead late.

But a good road win. Need to win at home at steal some on the road.

Yes, I also notice in the 2nd half that TCU just passed the ball around the perimeter and settled for 3pt shot attempts which allowed Baylor back into the game. As soon as TCU started attacking the basket, it began to click again. Good adjustment by CJD at the time out to get his team back to playing inside out.

Frog-in-law1995

Yes, I also notice in the 2nd half that TCU just passed the ball around the perimeter and settled for 3pt shot attempts which allowed Baylor back into the game. As soon as TCU started attacking the basket, it began to click again. Good adjustment by CJD at the time out to get his team back to playing inside out.

We squandered a 12-point lead and were down 4 at one point. I’d like to think that if the win was due to an offensive adjustment flipping a switch, it would have occurred before we lost the lead.

BABYFACE

We squandered a 12-point lead and were down 4 at one point. I’d like to think that if the win was due to an offensive adjustment flipping a switch, it would have occurred before we lost the lead.

The observation I had watching the game is that TCU starting shooting exclusively 3’s when Baylor went into a 2-3. The Frogs quit driving the lane. That is all fine and dandy if you are hitting your 3’s. Top had the same observation, so I don’t think this thought is on an island. Dixon called a timeout and the team went back to going inside first. I agree that there is more to that but TCU got complacent when Baylor dropped to a 2-3 zone. I believe Ray Charles even saw that.

Leap Frog

Watched the Tech- Kansas game and the Raiders just flat out gave KU a good swift kick.
TTU really drives to the bucket, with the result of either making it or getting fouled.
Bill Self was beside himself ( no pun) and was as mad as I've ever seen him.
Make no mistake, Tech has some talent and plays very, very hard.