• The KillerFrogs

Go Butler!

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
QUOTE(y2kFrog @ Apr 6 2010, 08:20 AM) [snapback]541114[/snapback]
I couldn't believe nobody ever said anything about that. The ball was obviously laying on the rim, and like Scheyer could ever get high enough for a legal tip in.

I thought so too when it happened. Then they showed the replay and the ball wasn't on the rim at all...

Waccy Frog

QUOTE(IamFroglash88 @ Apr 6 2010, 03:45 AM) [snapback]541074[/snapback]
bad charge call
no call on obvious basket interference
needed to go to hayward more
like coach k
hate duke

The "Duke gets the calls" stuff had gotten to the point of being ridiculous. There were a number of close calls and non-calls that affected both teams. I thought K was going to come unglued a couple of times at some of the noncalls in the paint on Duke's offensive end, and he had a point. The charge call looked pretty questionable, but it came with a 9 minutes left in what was then a 4 point game. There were plenty of close/questionable calls either way after that.

Saying "Duke gets the calls" has become almost an idiotic mantra. Every time any foul was called on Butler, the entire crowd would boo. Give me a break. It's become like an excuse for everyone who plays Duke. Here's the bottom line: Duke won a hard fought game. They've got a great coach and hard working kids. The refs did not win or lose this game for anyone, and frankly you won't hear anyone who actually knows anything about basketball say otherwise.

TheSheik

Yeah I hate Duke, but the refs were letting both teams play, it was very physical on both ends. Looking back on it, it made the game great.

IamFroglash88

QUOTE(Waccy Frog @ Apr 6 2010, 09:34 AM) [snapback]541121[/snapback]
The refs did not win or lose this game for anyone, and frankly you won't hear anyone who actually knows anything about basketball say otherwise.

So I guess we are not entitled to our own opinion. And...I guess coaching college and taking 3 high school teams to the state final four constitutes not knowing anything about basketball.

Houston Frog

I thought it was a well officiated game. I hate Duke as much as any red-blooded American male, but I didn't think the refs favored one team over the other. They refs let em play (like I think they should), and when they do that, fans of both sides are always going to feel like they got the shaft, but the no-calls were going both ways.

I actually thought Butler was getting the benefit of the doubt on the no-calls for a good chunk of the game.

Awesome game either way though. Wish it would've ended differently, but oh well.

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
QUOTE(IamFroglash88 @ Apr 6 2010, 09:00 AM) [snapback]541135[/snapback]
So I guess we are not entitled to our own opinion. And...I guess coaching college and taking 3 high school teams to the state final four constitutes not knowing anything about basketball.

Piggidy Pwned

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
There's going to be blown calls, to be sure, but no game is perfectly officiated. I don't see where either team was favored, and no one call really changed things. The deciding factor, in my mind, was Butler missed way too many close-in opportunites. Duke's size certainly had something to do with that, but Butler was doing a great job getting into the lane....they just didn't finish enought times. When a game is as tight as this one was, it doesn't take much to tip the balance. This was basically like a great boxing fight, and they went the distance going toe-to-toe, neither giving an inch. And nobody's ear got bit.

IamFroglash88

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Apr 6 2010, 10:05 AM) [snapback]541143[/snapback]
I thought it was a well officiated game. I hate Duke as much as any red-blooded American male, but I didn't think the refs favored one team over the other. They refs let em play (like I think they should), and when they do that, fans of both sides are always going to feel like they got the shaft, but the no-calls were going both ways.

I actually thought Butler was getting the benefit of the doubt on the no-calls for a good chunk of the game.

Awesome game either way though. Wish it would've ended differently, but oh well.

I agree. One of the best championship games ever. Glad they let them play. I just felt that the charge was an extremely bad call. Things happen.

TheSheik

QUOTE(IamFroglash88 @ Apr 6 2010, 09:11 AM) [snapback]541149[/snapback]
I agree. One of the best championship games ever. Glad they let them play. I just felt that the charge was an extremely bad call. Things happen.

Agreed the charge call was awful....I would love to slap Scheyer across the face with a wet hot mop.

Waccy Frog

QUOTE(IamFroglash88 @ Apr 6 2010, 02:00 PM) [snapback]541135[/snapback]

Sure, everyone is entitled to an opinion. But the Duke-ref obsession has gotten ridiculous. I don't see how anyone could say that Duke won because of the refs or that it was a one-sided game. There are disputable or blown calls on charges/blocks in virtually every basketball game played. So if you are the coach you describe in your post (I assume that was a reference to your own experience), I would suggest that dislike of Duke has left you watching the game in anti-Duke-Blue colored glasses.

And I really don't understand the Duke hatred, although I guess I hate ND in football for basically no reason. So maybe I do understand it after all.