• The KillerFrogs

Glass Half Full Thoughts After that nut kick...

BABYFACE

This TCU team is not average. The Frogs have holes like almost every team does.
A team doesn't make it to Omaha unless they are pretty darn good.

TCU was not fortunate to get to the CWS. They got their because they want 5-0 during regionals and supers. That is pretty dominant. Style points or lack of them, doesn't matter. Only winning and losing matters.

Pharm Frog

Yep. If you are a pinch hitter in that situation you don't go in their looking at strikes. Whatever happened to protecting the plate with two strikes? Real puzzling at bat for EW.

I understand being puzzled. I think I said I was baffled at the time. But EW striking out looking was probably one of the two most likely outcomes of that AB. I can't recall the last time he's had a meaningful AB but it probably was back in the OU series (or shortly thereafter). He's hitting .174 and striking out 34% of his ABs. Personally, I think it was an unfair position for him to be put in. We haven't played the lefty v righty game much all season and I realize its different because ZH hasn't been playing DH all season but seemed far out of character to me.

Pharm Frog

First and foremost we need to use more than 7 pitches per inning. If we can string together good at bats in the first 3rd of the game, it'll be just fine.

He only walked two batters and one of those (Wade) should have been rung up on a clear strike. When the pitcher is pounding the zone (however migratory that zone may be), you're gonna have to swing the bat. In the first two innings he threw almost nothing but strikes (by that umpire's definition). We did swing at some questionable and even poor pitches but we were also swinging right through fastballs down the middle. He pitched well against us. We had our chances with errors and a couple of walks but didn't capitalize. Not good to give up an inning's worth of pitches on the base paths either.

f_399

Besides experience, I bet our team stats all around are not that impressive compared to the other 7 teams in the tournament.

Poor hitting will come back to bite us when it matters the most, facing elite pitching in the CWS.

I hope they somehow find a way or we may just go 0-2 and even worse, against A&M.

o6kIScfjIawE0.webp

EDIT

BA
#6 - TCU - .272
#8 - Florida - .262
- That's not encouraging, Florida is the worst team in the field in that category.
#4 A&M - .275

ERA
#8 - TCU - 3.99
#5 - Florida - 3.55
- Florida wasn't even the best pitching in the field
#3 - A&M - 3.42

Last edited:

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs
Well, after waking up and seeing the disappointing result, I'm looking forward to the annual tradition of ending Aggy's season.

swimmerbabe11

He only walked two batters and one of those (Wade) should have been rung up on a clear strike. When the pitcher is pounding the zone (however migratory that zone may be), you're gonna have to swing the bat. In the first two innings he threw almost nothing but strikes (by that umpire's definition). We did swing at some questionable and even poor pitches but we were also swinging right through fastballs down the middle. He pitched well against us. We had our chances with errors and a couple of walks but didn't capitalize. Not good to give up an inning's worth of pitches on the base paths either.

Oh no doubt, there is a reason he was as high in the draft as he was. The kid was/is an incredible pitcher.

I'm looking at tomorrow though. Ags have burned their two best. Work Kolek hard and their bullpen sucks.

Sand Frog

Agree. Like others I was pissed at the outcome and what looked like a lack of effort from our team. However, Florida looked better coached and executed better. Scouting report on our hitters are they are going up to the plate to drive the pitch count up and work deep into the count. Give the kid credit for throwing a ton of 1st pitch strikes and not getting into hitters counts. I think Cam was one of the only guys that went up there hacking at the 1st pitch fastball down the middle. There didn't seem to be an adjustment later in the game at our approach at the plate with the kid from Florida filling up the plate from the 1st pitch. He also challenged our hitters when there was a favorable count and won. Skoug saw several good pitches that could have changed the game had he hit the.

Florida's approach at the plate was to also make JJ throw strikes. They were really disciplined for the most part not chasing balls out of the strike zone and making JJ bring the ball up. I thought JJ had his good stuff he just wasn't going to get that low ball strike that makes him almost unhittable when he does. When you give up free bases to a team like Florida then back it up with errors with a guy on the mound like they had the outcome is never what you are going to want. They also put the ball in play when the needed to. Tip your cap and move on. They excepted the game plan much better than we did.

Wade and Skoug were 0-7 I believe. They have to find their bats!!!!

flyfishingfrog

I think our general game plan can still work, but you can't strike out on four pitches. Have to stretch bats to 5-6 pitches so that the starter is out of there by end of 6th inning, early 7th at worst.

That being said, I would love for us to actually score runs prior to the 7th inning.
it will work against Aggy because they are starting their #3 who has control issues and they have weak pen.

It doesn't work against a pitcher that will throw 70% strikes and can control the edges because we get down 0-2 or 1-2 and then the pitcher is in control - thus we don't get their pitch count to 100+ until the 7th and we don't chase them because of runs.

If we manage to make it to Thur/Fri/Sat later this week - we will be back to facing #1s and #2s on teams that have better control so it won't work as well if they pitch to their potential.

NewFrogFan

I think our general game plan can still work, but you can't strike out on four pitches. Have to stretch bats to 5-6 pitches so that the starter is out of there by end of 6th inning, early 7th at worst.

That being said, I would love for us to actually score runs prior to the 7th inning.

IMO the coaches need to lose the "we dont sac bunt mind set". They "gave up" 4 runners on base with a catcher they had no business running on. You do whatever you have to do to win based on what the game presents. Yesterday the game presented an opposing pitcher that set an all time strikeout record for his school.....we looked like fools.

flyfishingfrog

I'm with fly. Of the teams in Omaha were are in the bottom half......so below average.

#logic
#meandflyknowbeisbol
#sarcasm
well too bad you are being a dick - because if you were honest you would read what I wrote and see that I said when our starters are world class or when we draw a lot of walks (actually Pharms statement that I agree with) - we control the game and are a good team.

When neither of those happens - we are pretty average.

We saw both happen during the UT series, Regionals and Supers.

We saw neither against Tech, WVU, OU, or yesterday.

Our team is amazingly consistent this year in the end result measured against their performance - about the only thing that varies is how many base running or fielding errors we will have/not have to make matters worse or better.

U
well too bad you are being a [ ricardo ] - because if you were honest you would read what I wrote and see that I said when our starters are world class or when we draw a lot of walks (actually Pharms statement that I agree with) - we control the game and are a good team.

When neither of those happens - we are pretty average.

We saw both happen during the UT series, Regionals and Supers.

We saw neither against Tech, WVU, OU, or yesterday.

Our team is amazingly consistent this year in the end result measured against their performance - about the only thing that varies is how many base running or fielding errors we will have/not have to make matters worse or better.

So when we pitch good and get a lot of walks we are a good team. Ground breaking analysis. Hello MOTO. No [ Finebaum ] Sherlock.

I'm being a Ricardo? HmmmmkIMG_1299.GIF

flyfishingfrog

U

So when we pitch good and get a lot of walks we are a good team. Ground breaking analysis. Hello MOTO. No [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] Sherlock.

View attachment 3207

And when we don't we are not.

See, I think you finally figured it out.

TCU is not always a good team - something several of you won't admit - that we can be pretty average when your starters get rocked hard, you don't get on base because you don't walk and can't hit that well, your bullpen gives up 6 runs, etc

Everyone has potential and goes up and down - sometimes we play like world champs, sometimes we play like high schoolers

Ours is very much related to our starters going deep and get free bases this year.

Seems pretty obvious but man I got a lot of crap for pointing it out - so it's amazingly you just came to the conclusion

Sticky_Wicket

Purple Baylor Alum

TCU is not always a good team - something several of you won't admit - that we can be pretty average when your starters get rocked hard, you don't get on base because you don't walk and can't hit that well, your bullpen gives up 6 runs, etc

Everyone has potential and goes up and down - sometimes we play like world champs, sometimes we play like high schoolers

Ours is very much related to our starters going deep and get free bases this year.

Seems pretty obvious but man I got a lot of crap for pointing it out - so it's amazingly you just came to the conclusion

Hmmm, I see... It's almost as if we're better when we score more, and then worse when we aren't scoring as much as we do when we're being better....

Ron Swanson

I agree with you that when we get outplayed, we are not that good, but when we outplay the other team, we are good.

We made it to the CWS, we are a very good team.

Is this our best team? No

Are we better than a lot of our fans gave us credit for throughout the year? Yes

froginmn

So other than blowing smoke up your own ass - do you know anything about baseball?

Why don't you go back and look at how we did against the top 30 pitchers we faced this year

Not the final score - how we did while those pitchers were in the game.

I will help you out - to start we hit almost .100 points below our team average and scored less than 1/3rd of our runs despite the fact that those guys threw over half the innings.

While everyone struggles against solid pitching we made it a habit more so than is healthy

Like Pharm has said - if a starter doesn't walk us to the tune of 5+ we don't do well against them and seem to wait until the reliever comes in to try and score
Not clear how you are defining the "top 30 pitchers we faced" but if you are talking about the 30 who did the best against us, your stats about us doing poorly against them seem to be a self fulfilling prophecy.

Oh, and you must be lost - this is the glass half full thread. Half empty is the rest of the board.