• The KillerFrogs

FWST: This is what’s keeping the TCU defense ‘a half-step ahead’ of offenses

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
This is what’s keeping the TCU defense ‘a half-step ahead’ of offenses

BY CARLOS MENDEZ
cmendez@star-telegram.com

The Friday before the Kansas State game, TCU coach Gary Patterson did something unusual that close to kickoff.

He changed the game plan.

He wanted his linebackers to defend the read option from the new K-State quarterback rather than the defensive ends. As Patterson had watched more and more film that week, the hunch became an itch, and he altered the approach. Alex Delton, who had rushed for 79 yards and two touchdowns a week earlier against Texas, was sacked twice and held to 39 yards and no touchdowns in TCU’s 26-6 victory.

“Sometimes you can’t change those kind of things without practicing a lot,” Patterson said.

Read more at http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article183933636.html

kodiak

While sipppng some Four Roses last night, I had an epiphany. If I concede OU is going to make a or some big plays, why not go all out blitz crazy, forcing them where we want and rely on our stellar DL to crush the run/pocket and allowing our defensive backfield to cheat to the trap we set. Speed kills! Whiskey thinking is the best. When I start drinking today, I will turn my attention to the offense.

puckster59

Good explanation from the guy paid to make the calls on why things happen on the field the way they do. Hopefully more armchair coaches have a little bit better understanding. Now, if he would just explain why the opposing defensive look often dictates what you call or check to offensively!!

JogginFrog

What an indictment of the UT way. There have been plenty of signals, notably when CGP said, "I've beaten better with worse."

Now we have CGP talking on the record about predicting UT play sequences and contrasting that with OU always running something unexpected. More than I'd expect him to say.

Meanwhile, earlier this week ESPN runs an article where Mack Brown talks about learning "real quick" that,

"When you take the job as head coach at the University of Texas, you realize...you will be required to make a lot of appearances, everything from high school coaches conferences to birthday parties of the school's biggest supporters."
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/21187100/the-secret-life-live-mascots

Until someone lets the coach down there spend his time coaching, teams that actually game plan will keep beating better with worse.

I figured Strong would be the one to shut down the circus, but he played out the string and then happily took a job where they'd let him coach. Maybe someday, a big-money donor will make giving conditional on the coach limiting his non-football appearances. Meanwhile, I'm happy that they're such slow learners.